Charger adapter - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dantrium

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-30-2019, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

Charger adapter

Is there an adapter that will allow me to charge my I-Pace at a regular Tesla charging station?
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-30-2019, 02:44 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcqipace View Post
Is there an adapter that will allow me to charge my I-Pace at a regular Tesla charging station?
What do you mean by ‘regular’?

There are adapters which will convert a Tesla ‘destination’ charger (Level 2) to a J1772, but there is nothing to allow you to use a Tesla Supercharger (Level 3)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-30-2019, 02:54 PM

The TeslaTap works at destination chargers (hotels). You can find it at Amazon. If you have questions you can find out more here TeslaTap
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-30-2019, 11:02 PM

Supercharger, NO
Destination charger, YES

https://shop.quickchargepower.com/JD...r-JDPTRSTB.htm

Maximum charge rate will be the 7 kW using the onboard charging system.

To find DC high speed charging check plugshare.com And look for the CCS connectors.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Roll View Post
Supercharger, NO
Destination charger, YES

To find DC high speed charging check plugshare.com And look for the CCS connectors.
Is the use of a Tesla destination charger (with this "Tap") free? Isn't there some type of 'validation' in the software handshake when you plug in the charger? I've used DCFC stations only a dozen or so times in the year I've had my I-Pace... haven't 'needed' to rely on a Tesla destination charger but might be willing to drop a few $$ on the TeslaTap to know that I could. And lastly, do the Tesla destination chargers have a cable to reach the charging port? Or does one need the mobile charging kit from Tesla with cable?

Last edited by dtgsrq; 12-01-2019 at 08:56 AM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 09:10 AM

I just read this on the TeslaTap page (TeslaTap)

** Jaguar I Pace will not work if the HPWC or Destination Charger is set for 48 or 80 AMP charging signals. Charging has been verified at 32, 40, 56, 64, and 72 AMP settings.

Is it possible for the user (i.e., me) to set the rate/charging signal? How will I know if I attempt to plug into a Destination Charger set for 48A or 80A ?

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 12:19 PM

Tesla destination EVSE will have a cord to reach the vehicle and a Tesla connector. The Tesla destination connector uses the same J1772 communication protocol to communicate with the vehicle. Adapter just changes the shape of the connector to fit non-Tesla vehicles. Electrically it is just the same.

No you cannot change the the signal without opening the Tesla wall box.

If the I-Pace does not work at the 48 or 80 amp setting... this is another defect in the I-Pace charging protocol system. Any fully compatible J1772 vehicle should charge fine from 6 amp to 80 amp signal.

I speculate 48 and 80 are fairly common as the supply is very common to be 60 and 100 amps and these run at 80%.

No harm should come to the vehicle... will apparently just fail to start charging. I do not actually have an adapter, nor have I actually used a Tesla destination connector.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 03:39 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtgsrq View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Roll View Post
Supercharger, NO
Destination charger, YES

Is the use of a Tesla destination charger (with this "Tap") free? Isn't there some type of 'validation' in the software handshake when you plug in the charger? I've used DCFC stations only a dozen or so times in the year I've had my I-Pace... haven't 'needed' to rely on a Tesla destination charger but might be willing to drop a few $$ on the TeslaTap to know that I could. And lastly, do the Tesla destination chargers have a cable to reach the charging port? Or does one need the mobile charging kit from Tesla with cable?
As far as I know, all Tesla destination chargers are free. The ‘validation’ you are likely thinking about is what Tesla Superchargers use to register which car is on the charger. This isn’t used on the Level 2 chargers.

Tesla destination chargers are simply Tesla branded AC chargers with the Tesla end versus the J1772 end. I would look at where you expect to be traveling and decide if you actually have a need to use a Tesla charger adapter. You may be surprised to discover that you can get by without spending money on a Tesla adapter.
epirali likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page