Electrify America charging rate - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By nath_h

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

Electrify America charging rate

What rate does our I-Pace accept. I thought our max rate was 75, but Electrify America is charging me at their 180 rate. Thatís $.89 compared to $.21. Am I getting ripped off? They did refund me on my first experience when the charged me $40.
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 07:46 PM

Garage
The i-Pace can do 100kw max, but with the current software in the i-Pace it can't sustain that for much time at all. Unfortunately that brief bit of time over 75kw more than quadruples the rate we have to pay.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. I had read Electrify America’s policy of charging at the 1st established/communicated rate. That does suck, if our cars establish a faster rate and 5he drop it down. Why would Jaguar do it that way?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markgroce View Post
Thanks. I had read Electrify America’s policy of charging at the 1st established/communicated rate. That does suck, if our cars establish a faster rate and 5he drop it down. Why would Jaguar do it that way?
I spoke to EA and asked if there is a way to have the 75kw plan and be limited to that as it's so much cheaper than the 100kw one.
They said it's whatever the car establishes at the initial speed is what the charges will be based on. So for I-Pace, it's the 1-125kw charge
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 08:50 AM

I have spoken with EA many times, as I rely on their network for my semi regular long distance travel. You are correct that their tiered system puts us in the worst possible billing circumstances...we're charged for a very high rate while rarely benefiting from high speeds of charging. I've had many charges being billed for around .70 cents per minute while receiving only a maximum of 42 kwh. I've had no luck receiving a refund for their egregious charging rate while not receiving 75+ kwh charging. Once I did briefly get 100kwh, and sometimes get 82 or so before tapering.

I had a long talk with them last week regarding why they have this crazy tiered system. It is because some states don't allow charging based on kwh of usage (I know--this sounds insane). Instead of carving out those states and having some alternative charging system, they implemented the tiered system on all of us. They've gotten heat from unhappy customers like us, and apparently the execs are considering other options. The most obvious one would be to let customers select what rate bucket they want to purchase...for us I Pace owners, I think we'd all select the 75kwh rate, as almost all of our charging would be in this bucket for 1/3 of the price of their next tier. Or just charge by the kwh for the majority of states where it is allowed.

Nothing will change if we all don't let EA know our opinion--they seem to honestly want input, and it's easy to do. Please email/call them. They seem like a decent organization, and know they are essentially trying to fix the airplane while it is in the air. I think/hope things will continue to improve at EA.

Quote:
What rate does our I-Pace accept. I thought our max rate was 75, but Electrify America is charging me at their 180 rate. Thatís $.89 compared to $.21. Am I getting ripped off? They did refund me on my first experience when the charged me $40.
epirali and juice like this.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
You don't mention if you were using CHAdeMO or just a level two j1772 connection. If it was a level 2 on an I-Pace then there's no way it could have charged at a rate that high. Like Cyberslug said, the max is now 100kw (if you have the latest software updates) but only with CHAdeMO connections. It could be that their CHAdeMO rates are fixed at that higher rate regardless if the car can take the full 180kw or not.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormRune View Post
Quote:
What rate does our I-Pace accept. I thought our max rate was 75, but Electrify America is charging me at their 180 rate. That’s $.89 compared to $.21. Am I getting ripped off? They did refund me on my first experience when the charged me $40.
You don't mention if you were using CHAdeMO or just a level two j1772 connection. If it was a level 2 on an I-Pace then there's no way it could have charged at a rate that high. Like Cyberslug said, the max is now 100kw (if you have the latest software updates) but only with CHAdeMO connections. It could be that their CHAdeMO rates are fixed at that higher rate regardless if the car can take the full 180kw or not.
The I-Pace does not use CHAdeMO. For L3 (DC) charging it is a CCS Combo, which is a J1772 connector with the additional 2 ports below.

J1772 is AC charging which is limited to ~7kWh
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantrium View Post
The I-Pace does not use . For L3 (DC) charging it is a CCS Combo, which is a J1772 connector with the additional 2 ports below.

J1772 is AC charging which is limited to ~7kWh
Thank you. I stand corrected!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 01:13 AM

I wish EA would allow the user to select the max rate. Just under the top tier would be fine with me.
That or the vehicle should be programmable to limit the rate.
Here is hope for the future....
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 08:54 AM

Please contact them to state your opinion, if you have not already done so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Roll View Post
I wish EA would allow the user to select the max rate. Just under the top tier would be fine with me.
That or the vehicle should be programmable to limit the rate.
Here is hope for the future....

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page