Timed charging works - sort of - Page 3 - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 9Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 35 (permalink) Unread 07-30-2019, 03:55 PM

ACC does seem to have the characteristics described of slowing down when the vehicle ahead changes lanes. It realizes that vehicle ahead *is* slowing down as it is changing lane (e.g. exit ramp or it is getting behind a slower moving vehicle in the other lane) and not fully out of the lane ahead of you. You can use the feature of decreasing the follow mode gap to relieve it a bit but it won't eliminate it.

I have let the ACC bring the car to a stop. It is a bit slow at getting the car moving again though. One does have to press the go pedal slightly to get ACC to start moving the car. However, this is a gradual acceleration that you'll find quite slow and annoying to anyone behind you, unless you're in a slow moving traffic situation. You can fix this with more use of foot on pedal until an appropriate speed is reached to allow ACC to take over.
post #22 of 35 (permalink) Unread 07-30-2019, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayepace View Post
ACC does seem to have the characteristics described of slowing down when the vehicle ahead changes lanes. It realizes that vehicle ahead *is* slowing down as it is changing lane (e.g. exit ramp or it is getting behind a slower moving vehicle in the other lane) and not fully out of the lane ahead of you. You can use the feature of decreasing the follow mode gap to relieve it a bit but it won't eliminate it.

I have let the ACC bring the car to a stop. It is a bit slow at getting the car moving again though. One does have to press the go pedal slightly to get ACC to start moving the car. However, this is a gradual acceleration that you'll find quite slow and annoying to anyone behind you, unless you're in a slow moving traffic situation. You can fix this with more use of foot on pedal until an appropriate speed is reached to allow ACC to take over.
Those are exactly the behaviors I observe as well. In addition, ACC speeds up when you turn on the turn signal to change lanes. Slightly unsettling as well, but it makes sense and I have not had an issue with that behavior.
post #23 of 35 (permalink) Unread 07-30-2019, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciencegeek View Post
Those are exactly the behaviors I observe as well. In addition, ACC speeds up when you turn on the turn signal to change lanes. Slightly unsettling as well, but it makes sense and I have not had an issue with that behavior.
It's a clear lesson that despite the technology you can never relax. I'm pessimistic about full autonomous driving and believe that if it's ever introduced our driving skills will erode further than the low state it's already in. I follow airline accident investigations and a recent trend is for pilots to rely too heavily on technology and lack the necessary skills when problems occur.
sciencegeek and epirali like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 35 (permalink) Unread 07-30-2019, 10:24 PM

sciencegeek you are correct about that additional speed up trait as it points the nose of car away from the slower car in front of you as you change lanes.

CurtSprings, I'm as pessimistic as you too. All the videos I've seen (but I haven't searched the internet) for autonomous driving tests haven't shown me a car going downhill on a curvy road covered by 6 inches (or more) of snow with ice on the actual pavement surface. Or even a flat road with some curves under like weather conditions. With or without traffic coming from the opposite direction. I can probably round up a few deer to volunteer to jump out in front of it too. They keep testing my reflexes and would welcome the opportunity to relocate them to someone else's testing grounds.
epirali and PGhiron like this.
post #25 of 35 (permalink) Unread Yesterday, 12:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayepace View Post
CurtSprings, I'm as pessimistic as you too. All the videos I've seen (but I haven't searched the internet) for autonomous driving tests haven't shown me a car going downhill on a curvy road covered by 6 inches (or more) of snow with ice on the actual pavement surface. Or even a flat road with some curves under like weather conditions. With or without traffic coming from the opposite direction. I can probably round up a few deer to volunteer to jump out in front of it too. They keep testing my reflexes and would welcome the opportunity to relocate them to someone else's testing grounds.
I wonder how the I-Pace, Tesla and other cars with emergency braking or future autonomous driving would handle Saab's "moose test" on their old test track. Love to see videos of that! 🇸🇪
post #26 of 35 (permalink) Unread Yesterday, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtSprings View Post
I wonder how the I-Pace, Tesla and other cars with emergency braking or future autonomous driving would handle Saab's "moose test" on their old test track. Love to see videos of that! 🇸🇪
The systems might make a moosetake.
It would be a Saab story.
sciencegeek likes this.

Photon FE, 2013 FR-S, 2017 RAM 1500, 2014 Forester
post #27 of 35 (permalink) Unread Yesterday, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
The systems might make a moosetake.
It would be a Saab story.
🤪
post #28 of 35 (permalink) Unread Yesterday, 09:06 PM

Quote:
🤪
What's with the friggin emoji code, I have to look those up every time :P
post #29 of 35 (permalink) Unread Yesterday, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciencegeek View Post
Quote:
🤪
What's with the friggin emoji code, I have to look those up every time :P
I'm not sure. These are in my phone's emoji list. I'm not smart or motivated enough to look them up and sorry to put you through the trouble.
post #30 of 35 (permalink) Unread Yesterday, 10:01 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure. These are in my phone's emoji list. I'm not smart or motivated enough to look them up and sorry to put you through the trouble.
Oh I see, you're not just some geek who knows these by heart and thinks it's cool to write the code? Haha, sorry!
PGhiron likes this.