Timed charging works - sort of - Page 2 - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 11:47 PM Thread Starter

Three weeks of successful timed charging by setting the Chargepoint app and car to the exact same charging time. This includes allowing the car to sit for over 20 hours before next charging time. The I-Pace seems to engage with Chargepoint despite being asleep.
I set a repeating Sunday departure. Software version is: S19A_19.20.4-363281.

Except for the minor Creep issue, the infotainment is very stable. Profiles and custom home screens don't disappear, voice command works well with both the nav and connected music (iPod for me), Android Auto works well.

Now if we could fix the adaptive cruise control and blind spot monitoring..... I may report them to the NHTSA because of possible accidents.
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtSprings View Post
Now if we could fix the adaptive cruise control and blind spot monitoring..... I may report them to the NHTSA because of possible accidents.
Remind me, what problems are you having with ACC and Blind Spot Assist?
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantrium View Post
ACC will track a vehicle in the adjacent lane and if the other vehicle decelerates ACC will suddenly apply the brakes. Usually occurs when the other vehicle was in the same lane but moves over. Sometimes ACC will track a vehicle that was never in my lane at all. This phenomenon has occurred in both highway and city driving and I've almost been hit from behind.

Blind spot monitoring doesn't illuminate until an approaching car has already passed my rear bumper. I've nearly changed lanes into a vehicle in my blind spot. I've learned not to use the system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantrium View Post
ACC will track a vehicle in the adjacent lane and if the other vehicle decelerates ACC will suddenly apply the brakes. Usually occurs when the other vehicle was in the same lane but moves over. Sometimes ACC will track a vehicle that was never in my lane at all. This phenomenon has occurred in both highway and city driving and I've almost been hit from behind.

Blind spot monitoring doesn't illuminate until an approaching car has already passed my rear bumper. I've nearly changed lanes into a vehicle in my blind spot. I've learned not to use the system.
Bummer, I don’t have those issues. Both systems seem to work fairly well for me. Was the dealer able to replicate the problem? As far as I’m concerned, the AEB doesn’t work when compared to how it is depicted in the JLR video, however the dealer insists it works as designed...
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:

For ACC, I haven't had that specific problem, but it doesn't surprise me. That'd be a hard situation for computer vision to track. If they changed the settings to stop such behavior, you'd probably lose the car in front of you far more often. A trade off. When a car does pull into the next lane, I suggest maybe pulling a little away to let the camera see the next car in front of you, or temporarily cancelling the system.

As for the BSM, they are not a replacement for mirrors and necks. You still have to visually check. They're more of a "hey, pay attention!" reminder. They're also useful when backing out in a parking lot.

Photon FE, 2013 FR-S, 2017 RAM 1500, 2014 Forester
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 10:59 AM

Also a mismatch between customer expectation and the reality of driver aides is common. Especially for Tesla drivers.

Photon FE, 2013 FR-S, 2017 RAM 1500, 2014 Forester
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
For ACC, I haven't had that specific problem, but it doesn't surprise me. That'd be a hard situation for computer vision to track. If they changed the settings to stop such behavior, you'd probably lose the car in front of you far more often. A trade off. When a car does pull into the next lane, I suggest maybe pulling a little away to let the camera see the next car in front of you, or temporarily cancelling the system.

As for the BSM, they are not a replacement for mirrors and necks. You still have to visually check. They're more of a "hey, pay attention!" reminder. They're also useful when backing out in a parking lot.
I understand your points. I've owned other cars with ACC and blind spot monitoring that work great including a 2008 XJR (no blind spot monitoring) with great ACC. Saab and Ford seem to get the technology right. The I-Pace is the first to track cars once they leave my lane and it's locked onto vehicles never in my lane - usually larger trucks and on sweeping curves.

My I-Pace came with darkly tinted rear windows, the b-pillar is thick and rear visibility is less than optimal so BSM is a good tool in heavy traffic. Perhaps having the system on my last 4 or 5 cars has made me a little too reliant on it although I do look before changing lanes.

Dealer explained both systems as operating as JLR intended and I'm just used to previous car behaviors. I don't buy this explanation because if it's operating as intended, why have accidents nearly occurred.
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

One possible explanation for ACC behavior vice my prior experience is I-Pace is designed to stop and then resume moving (follow mode) while my other cars would slow to 20 MPH and the driver would then intervene. This might require greater system sensitivity hence tracking vehicles in adjacent lanes. I haven't tested the ACC to a full stop yet but the dealer assures me that it works fine.
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 12:35 PM

Quote:
One possible explanation for ACC behavior vice my prior experience is I-Pace is designed to stop and then resume moving (follow mode) while my other cars would slow to 20 MPH and the driver would then intervene. This might require greater system sensitivity hence tracking vehicles in adjacent lanes. I haven't tested the ACC to a full stop yet but the dealer assures me that it works fine.
The JLR system definitely doesn’t work as well as others I’ve used, but I find it works fine.
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post

There seems to be a misunderstanding here. The I-Pace uses radar for adaptive cruise control and the cameras for lane keeping, pedestrian/bicycle detection, automatic high beams, and sign reading.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page