slow charging with a 7kw charger homologated by Jaguar - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 06:23 AM Thread Starter

slow charging with a 7kw charger homologated by Jaguar

since a cooling liquid level warning light popped out (apparently there was no leak, just a sensor malfunction) the charging rate overnight has fallen to 4% (3.87 kw per hour), a bit more than half the potential rate. charging the car from 0-100% can take over 24 hours. Is anyone experimenting the same issue? does anyone knows what could be the reason? the car dealer hasn't found yet what can be the issue.
thanks for your help.
post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 10:06 AM

Did you check your breaker at home?

Jeff in Denver
'19 Jaguar I-Pace First Edition
'03 Porsche 911 Turbo 6MT X50
'74 Alfa Romeo Spider
'17 Volvo XC90 Inscription - Wife's
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 12:00 PM

Does this problem happen with other chargers?
epirali likes this.

Photon FE, 2013 FR-S, 2017 RAM 1500, 2014 Forester
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stash42 View Post
since a cooling liquid level warning light popped out (apparently there was no leak, just a sensor malfunction) the charging rate overnight has fallen to 4% (3.87 kw per hour), a bit more than half the potential rate. charging the car from 0-100% can take over 24 hours. Is anyone experimenting the same issue? does anyone knows what could be the reason? the car dealer hasn't found yet what can be the issue.
thanks for your help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtpeper View Post
Did you check your breaker at home?

Thanks for replying. everything is new, it has been installed together with the charger. I don't have the knowledge to see if there an issue there, but it's a good idea, I'll ask the company that made the installation.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 07:59 PM

240V circuit with a double breaker with the charger plugged in all the time, or hardwired? Has it half failed and working like a 120V charger? Switch off the breaker completely, wait at least 10 seconds and switch on the breaker. Do this even if the charger isn't plugged in all the time.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 08:17 PM

The fact that it co-insides with a coolant leak warning, I'd guess the car is limiting the charge rate to protect the battery. If the breaker had tripped, you'd have no current. I don't think twinned breakers (220v) can trip half-way since the switches are ganged together, otherwise, you'd lose a big part of the reason they are there.

Get the sensor fixed and I am pretty sure the charging issue will go away as well.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcomeau View Post
f the breaker had tripped, you'd have no current. I don't think twinned breakers (220v) can trip half-way since the switches are ganged together, otherwise, you'd lose a big part of the reason they are there.
Although logic and intended design says that, and I would agree with you, I have actually seen one half fail without tripping off the whole circuit. It puzzled me too. It was replaced, of course.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 10:14 PM
Super Moderator

Thank you for teaching me a new word. Was this situation really homologated by JLR? I can't imagine that they would say to you "yeah you're using a 7kW cable but the car is designed to use only 3kW."

I am using a generic 7kW charging cable ... invariably (to my frustration) the car starts throttling the rate of charge downward after ~30 min or less. Same has happened to me on a commercial ChargePoint charger at a hotel overnight, and I was dismayed to learn that I would have to spend another two hours in the sihtty hotel room to wait for 100%, which I needed at the time. The solution is always (in my case) to unlock the car, unplug, plug back in. Then it keeps charging at 7kW. It's a bug. Your situation may be more severe, given the ominous sensor issue.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 07:06 PM

I have noticed a reduction in the AC Level charge rate at home also. (only see in ChargePoint app)
It occurs as the SOC gets higher, say 80% give or take.

So I just spoke with a tech at ChargePoint and he said this is normal.
It is the car talking with the charger to slow as it approaches full SOC.
Even if charging at L2, it will slow.

I have not tried the unplug then restart option yet.

The bottom line is to charge to 80% then stop, else it's going to be a while.
It would be nice to see a graph that show charge rate vs. SOC.

Jaguar I-Pace SE Borasco Grey Mars Red Interior Clear Bra Ceramic Coat
20" Wheels Mud Flaps Meridian Surround Sound Driver Assist Pack
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meldev##44 View Post
I have noticed a reduction in the AC Level charge rate at home also. (only see in ChargePoint app)
It occurs as the SOC gets higher, say 80% give or take.

So I just spoke with a tech at ChargePoint and he said this is normal.
It is the car talking with the charger to slow as it approaches full SOC.
Even if charging at L2, it will slow.[IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.i-paceforum.com/forum/images/I-PaceForum/smilies/tango_face_surprise.png[/IMG]

I have not tried the unplug then restart option yet.[IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.i-paceforum.com/forum/images/I-PaceForum/smilies/tango_face_plain.png[/IMG]

The bottom line is to charge to 80% then stop, else it's going to be a while.
It would be nice to see a graph that show charge rate vs. SOC.[IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.i-paceforum.com/forum/images/I-PaceForum/smilies/tango_face_glasses.png[/IMG]
I've seen the same phenomenon. My Chargepoint level 2 charger drops from 7.6 kWh to 7.0 kWh once the SoC reaches 80%. It's not a dramatic drop but it's there nonetheless. I think it's designed to reduce heat and extend the lifetime of the battery.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page