slow charging with a 7kw charger homologated by Jaguar - Page 3 - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayepace View Post
My Juicebox Pro 40 charging indicates 7.6-7.7 until 100% charged, then it drops to 0 for a very brief moment. Its behavior after that is inconsistent but usually jumps back up to 3.x-6.x and unsmoothly tapers down from there for some inconsistent period of time, usually about 1 hour.
That part may be cell balancing done by the battery management, where it charges and drains various cell groups top make sure they are in “balance.” This is done when battery is full.
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayepace View Post
I occasionally use a 50kW Chargepoint charger (actually 48kW if you read its label). It's display shows a 42-45kW rate until the car gets to 85%, tapers to 30kW at 91%, 20kW at 96$ and then drops off from there. The last part takes about 20 minutes to get to 100% if left to charge to that level.

My Juicebox Pro 40 charging indicates 7.6-7.7 until 100% charged, then it drops to 0 for a very brief moment. Its behavior after that is inconsistent but usually jumps back up to 3.x-6.x and unsmoothly tapers down from there for some inconsistent period of time, usually about 1 hour.
These results are fairly well documented by now. There are charts, including at https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DoQuXPhW0AAHl9_.jpg that show how the car regulates charging rate based on SOC, and also compares the similar tapering of other EVs.

On my I-Pace, despite the chart, I can achieve 100 kW charging for a limited period before the car throttles charge rate to 82-84 kW. (I suspect this lowering to 82 kW is related to the ambient temperature and the (in)ability of the I-Pace to keep the battery at optimal temperature.) If the charger's max output is 50 kW, then you can adjust accordingly.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page