Level 2 Charging <32amp plug - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

Level 2 Charging <32amp plug

n00b QQ. Does anyone have experience charging from a plug with less than 32a 7kw capacity. Say the breaker is only 240v/20a, will the breaker trip or will the I-Pace somehow mysteriously charge at a lesser rate? Or is there some option to change the charging rate? I may not be phrasing this question correctly but I hope you get the jest.
post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 07:07 PM

That is a good question, and one I dont know the answer to. I know my BMW i3 had the ability to draw less current, but not sure about the iPace. On another note, remember that when you upgrade the circuit, you have to ensure it supports 40 amps otherwise it will trip. Breakers are designed to handle 80% of their load continuously.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbjag View Post
n00b QQ. Does anyone have experience charging from a plug with less than 32a 7kw capacity. Say the breaker is only 240v/20a, will the breaker trip or will the I-Pace somehow mysteriously charge at a lesser rate? Or is there some option to change the charging rate? I may not be phrasing this question correctly but I hope you get the jest.
The I-Pace will take whatever the EVSE will supply up to the 7kw max
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 07:17 PM

If you put a charger meant to supply 30 amps onto a 20 amp circuit, it'll blow the breaker trying to provide 30 amps. If you put a charger meant for a 20 amp circuit on a 20 amp circuit, you'll be fine. Some chargers provide selectable amperage, either by software, jumper, or switch.

Photon FE, 2013 FR-S, 2017 RAM 1500, 2014 Forester
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbjag View Post
The EVSE needs to be properly rated for the available power.

And yes I charge my I-Pace frequently on 16 amps, 20 amps, 24 amps and 30 amps at various home and work charging stations.

If you want a portable EVSE charging station with variable charging rates consider the Jesla Jr.
Each adapter automatically adjusts the power available based on what you are plugging into.

https://shop.quickchargepower.com/JE...on-JESLAJR.htm
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 01:07 AM

Technically, you should not be able to plug a EVSE into an outlet of lesser ratings. The NEMA plugs will not mate and thus prevent you from even being able to hook up the way you ask nor would a certified electrician allow it to be wired as such. My 40amp Juicebox had to be plugged into a 50amp breaker because the code in California meant you had to have some headroom in the connection.

If you put a 32amp EVSE on a 20amp breaker, you will trip the breaker as it is designed to only allow 20amps if it is compliant to its UL rating.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 09:07 AM

There are EVSEs that will only draw 16 amps at 240. If you get those (as pointed out with different plug) you can charge the I Pace at 3.6 KW rate from a 20 amp plug. Of course it will take twice as long to charge. And the EVSE will never provide more than 16 amp even when plugged into a higher rated circuit.

There may be EVSEs with adjustable current draws but I dont think one that can be set to that wide a range.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 10:27 AM

The JuiceBox Pro (WiFi) will derate down to 6/12/16/24/32 amps x 240vac in the cellphone app.

It's a good value, but not exactly portable. It saves your charging information and even graphs it.

I have a Bosch, Clipper Creek, Chevy Volt, and a Tesla Model 3 EVSE with TeslaTap. The JuiceBoxes are the largest and heaviest with a clumsy cord, but they are industrial quality units. Not even all commercial sites are as robust as a JuiceBox. Few are more robust.

For a portable (carried in the car) I'd get the Tesla Model 3 with TeslaTap since it is 32a, small and light, with swap-able pigtails for different outlets, which is how you control charge rate.

Like above the Jaguar Retail USA EVSE is a terrible joke. It's not even 12a which is what a 120v outlet supports at minimum. The prototype cars came with a good EVSE with L1/L2 pigtails. It is a Jaguar P/N, and I wish they would have made them an option.

But for home or business use? The JuiceBox Pro. There is nothing wrong with the Bosch or Clipper Creek or Tesla, it's just the JuiceBox Pro is a better unit and a good value.

People say the Bosch is junk. Mine has lasted outdoors for 6 years being used every single day without one problem. It has passed more kWh than all our other EVSEs combined. I agree it's sort of Mickey Mouse, but it certainly works. Would I buy another? No, there are better choices. But it shows you can't always trust the internet.
jsimon7777, epirali and Spyder like this.

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

Kinda off topic but

I understand in the charger there is signaling that signals the EV the charging rate. Off my original topic however, for a non-tesla owner, I believe the best option, as I know today, that I am going with is a ChargePoint CPH25 for my home and for mobile I'm going with the EVSEAdapters 12-32A Adjustable 120-240V Charger EVSE and may get a Tesla Tap so that I have the additional option of charging from a Tesla station.

https://www.amazon.com/ChargePoint-E...ay&sr=8-1&th=1

https://www.evseadapters.com/collect...14295581458530

UMC-J1772 Store
https://www.amazon.com/TeslaTap-Tesl...gateway&sr=8-1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAE_J1772
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Charging_System
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEC_62196

Last edited by wbjag; 05-25-2019 at 01:21 PM.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 10:28 PM

Garage
The Chargepoint Home charger asks you during setup (via your phone) to confirm you have a 40A breaker (for 32A charge current). If you don't confirm, it will assume a 20A breaker (for 16A charge current).

If you choose 40A but you have a 20A breaker, the breaker (if working) will trip when the current exceeds the rating.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page