Recharging to 100%? - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

Recharging to 100%?

Like many others, I am frustrated with the Jaguar remote app and its inability to set a charge % stop. I am curious if other I pace owners are just allowing the charge to get to 100% or if they actively monitor the charge and stop/unplug when it gets to a certain point (say 90%).

My understanding is that if you regularly charge to 100% you slowly deplete the battery life. Would love to hear opinions/thoughts...
post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 06:49 PM
Super Moderator

Lots of info on this forum on these types of questions ... rummage around a bit, you'll see what people think.
Bottom line, yes, don't routinely charge to 100%; I personally just monitor when it's on my 7kW cable; if you trickle-charge with the supplied 110V cable you have to monitor much less because it charges so slowly ... or you can even set one of those manual timer clock thingies that you plug into the outlet.
post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 07:11 PM

I would not worry too much about it. Especially in Winter. More an issue if you charge consistently from 90+% to 100% and let it sit. If you are using 65% of the battery on a daily basis then by all means charge to 100% and be ready for the next day. If you are using 10% of the battery each day then charge once a week. As much as charging to 100% and let it sit outside roasting in the Summer heat for days is considered bad form, charging to 100% at least weekly can be good for the battery to balance the cells and reset the BMS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 02:14 AM

You can't actually charge it to 100%. Notice that it will regen at 100%. A fully charged battery ignites if you force it to overcharge.

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.
post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 09:41 AM

I fully charge nearly every Friday and sometimes on Saturday when we take longer trips in the car normally between 120 and 150 miles roundtrip. During the week, with just commute time I pretty much don't worry about topping it up.
McRat and dtgsrq like this.

2019 I-Pace EV400 SE
Firenze Red - Ebony/Ebony
Driver Assist Pack
Black Exterior Pack
20" 5 Spoke Style 5068 Gloss Black Wheels
plus a few extras
post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 02:31 PM

So is it bad that I plug in every night and it charges maximum allowable capacity (which I assume is 82.4kWh)? I deplete the battery to about 80% on my daily LA commute. Time charging works in my I-Pace (10pm to 8am), and preconditioning works in the I-Pace, too. I have set my vehicle departure to 8am during weekdays at 72F.

Last edited by bruintoo; 02-22-2019 at 02:33 PM.
post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

This is somewhat new to me. Others in the Forum can certainly give you a better answer. Having said that, my understanding is regularly charging the battery to full (whether 82.4 or whatever it is) has a negative long term affect on the battery. It is better to charge up to 90% and stop or let it ride down and only charge it up to 100% occasionally.

I have a somewhat similar situation to you... drain the battery by about 20% a day. And I am going to charge on a level 2 every 3rd or 4th day.

Would love to hear other people's thoughts too.
post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruintoo View Post
So is it bad that I plug in every night and it charges maximum allowable capacity (which I assume is 82.4kWh)? I deplete the battery to about 80% on my daily LA commute. Time charging works in my I-Pace (10pm to 8am), and preconditioning works in the I-Pace, too. I have set my vehicle departure to 8am during weekdays at 72F.
Not a big deal in Winter so enjoy the preconditioning.
When Summer is hitting 90+ I will suggest not charging until you are less than 50% for that regular commute.
post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruintoo View Post
No, the battery is warrantied to 8 years 100Kmiles something like 80% of rated capacity if I recall, point being, it should not matter how you charge, this is not a stated requirement to keep the battery warranty. Charge to your personal preference and enjoy your vehicle.
post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator

I keep it between 30% and 70% most days mostly using the trickle charger. If I need a boost I use the Level 2 cable. Yes deep charge-discharge cycles and storage at high SoC are detrimental for long term SoH (state of health) and capacity.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page