Recharging to 100%? - Page 4 - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 01:57 AM

And, related to that article is this video of real world usage:

McRat and epirali like this.
post #32 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 09:40 AM

This might seem like a peculiar question, but doesn't the manual provide some guidance on charging habits?
post #33 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 11:01 AM

My attitude is charge and go. I have no idea what my day will entail, so I stray on the side of keeping closer to 100%. Last night I got home with 9kms left in the ‘tank’ which is a little close for me and was somewhat unanticipated as I wasn’t planning on leaving town. As I mentioned in a previous post, I had a BMW i3 and initially was concerned about treating the battery well, but eventually just charged it up every night and after three years and 58,000 kms saw no degradation in the battery whatsoever. I think sometimes we overthink these things and should keep in mind that the engineers had to ensue they could support warranty claims for 8 years.

In the words of Sarah Palin ‘Charge Baby, charge!”

Tim
NerdUno and Mister Dave like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 03:47 AM

I have been driving electric for over 10 years. I have charged all of the electrics every night to 100% and on the vehicle I have had the longest (6 years) I have seen a 4% degredation in battery capacity - less than a 5 mile difference in total distance on a full charge. I can change the total available miles more than that by changing the way I drive on a given trip!
Mister Dave likes this.
post #35 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Dave View Post
This might seem like a peculiar question, but doesn't the manual provide some guidance on charging habits?
Maybe right there is the answer, the system is designed to be used by charging as needed and degredation and thermal management is built in. The amount of expected loss from the battery may be completely within normal expected scenarios. There is a lot more data on various battery chemistries in BEV usage than there was a few years back, so a lot of our “concerns” may still be from old habits rather than reality.

I guess what I am saying is its a little bit like brake pads, how often do you think about how to break optimally to maximize the life of your break pads?
Mister Dave likes this.
post #36 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epirali View Post
Maybe right there is the answer, the system is designed to be used by charging as needed and degredation and thermal management is built in. The amount of expected loss from the battery may be completely within normal expected scenarios. There is a lot more data on various battery chemistries in BEV usage than there was a few years back, so a lot of our “concerns” may still be from old habits rather than reality.

I guess what I am saying is its a little bit like brake pads, how often do you think about how to break optimally to maximize the life of your break pads?
Indeed.

From my reading of higher learning on the subject, the thing that has the highest impact on battery longevity is temperature, not SOC. That's why the better EVs include thermal management systems.

My best advice then is to clean out the garage and use it for your EV. I know for a fact that a good number of people use their garages to store junk, and not their most expensive appliance.
epirali likes this.
post #37 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Dave View Post
Indeed.

From my reading of higher learning on the subject, the thing that has the highest impact on battery longevity is temperature, not SOC. That's why the better EVs include thermal management systems.

My best advice then is to clean out the garage and use it for your EV. I know for a fact that a good number of people use their garages to store junk, and not their most expensive appliance.
Only thing I'd add is for long term storage (I mean longer than one week) if you can leave the car near 50% SOC rather than full or empty.
post #38 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epirali View Post
Only thing I'd add is for long term storage (I mean longer than one week) if you can leave the car near 50% SOC rather than full or empty.
I can't speak for the I-Pace, but my EV doesn't do the same level of thermal management when it's not plugged in. Most of the year (and because it's garaged) this isn't a big issue. But in winter and the middle of summer when it's really hot out I keep it plugged in as much a possible. This past winter the warming of the battery has been happening frequently.

With regard to long-term storage IIRC my car will go into a hibernation mode after a number of days even when plugged in. Since I've never stored it as such I never learned how it works in this regard - whether it continues to manage battery temps.

I would check the manual for guidance......(and then I did). Wow, this I-Pace manual is bereft of any real guidance. No wonder the opinions are all over the place.
post #39 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WattAJag View Post
And, related to that article is this video of real world usage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blqZ_rZ7WFI
What they missed on that test was measuring the power required to refill the battery. Otherwise you are trusting the gauge to calculate out battery voltage and amps draw correctly, and that the speedo is spot on. As you saw, the Audi has an optimistic speedometer.

They would go to a CHAdeMO & CCS charger, then refill the 3 cars assuming the Tesla has the CHAdeMO connector.

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.
post #40 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 02:34 PM

1st 100% charge

So this is my first full charge to 100%.
Also have not reset GOM so who knows.
Mainly city driving produces these results.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190404_102933.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	1617  

Jaguar I-Pace SE Borasco Grey Mars Red Interior
20" Wheels Meridian Surround Sound Driver Assist Pack

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page