Juicebox, I-Pace, and Time of Use - Page 3 - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 10:16 AM
EdG

I-Pace Charging

Here is the response I received from eMotorWerks, who manufactures the JuiceBox charger.

Thank you for your inquiry.
We recently discovered that the I-Pace does not adhere to the J1772 standard in that when it falls asleep, it does not wake up when it gets a signal through J1772 from the JuiceBox or any other EVSE. You may be limited to using the charge timer in the car and not the JuiceBox's timer until Jaguar fixes the problem. I recommend turning off ToU on JuiceNet and setting the schedule in the car.

If you have any other questions, you can simply reply to this ticket to re-open it.

Thank you,

I have not had very good luck with the car time of use feature. Looks like a manual solution for now.
McRat likes this.
post #22 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdG View Post
Here is the response I received from eMotorWerks, who manufactures the JuiceBox charger.

We recently discovered that the I-Pace does not adhere to the J1772 standard in that when it falls asleep, it does not wake up when it gets a signal through J1772 from the JuiceBox or any other EVSE. You may be limited to using the charge timer in the car and not the JuiceBox's timer until Jaguar fixes the problem. I recommend turning off ToU on JuiceNet and setting the schedule in the car.

If you have any other questions, you can simply reply to this ticket to re-open it.

Thank you,

I have not had very good luck with the car time of use feature. Looks like a manual solution for now.
Thanks for posting. Mine doesn't work either, but strange that there's at least one person on here for whom it does work.
post #23 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 11:55 AM

I wonder if JuiceBox puts a setting in their app that "trickle charges" cars that are Low Vampire Loss whether that would fix it.
ie - When Juice is set for HOLD COMM, it charges at the lowest J1772 speed that is allowed whenever it's connected. Probably <8 amps. We do know that J1772 will communicate below 8 amps x 120v.
Or it could talk every X minutes to notify the car that power is ready.

But that will take awhile.

Since the I-Pace will wake up for Conditioning outside the charging window, I'm puzzled as to whether this is JB's error or JLR's error. Perhaps set the Jaguar to Condition (Departure) at the time you programmed the JB to TOU charging? We know the car will wake the JBP on that request.

Since ChargePoint apparently works, I'm not sure what to think. Those of us with multiple EVs don't want to keep changing the JBP settings based on the car.

In a way, JLR is the future. It has very low vampire losses for a high feature, large battery EV, far less than Tesla.

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.

Last edited by McRat; 02-20-2019 at 11:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 01:01 PM

I strongly believe this is JLR issue. Although JLR is partnered with ChargePoint.... do any ChargePoint evse have a charge timer? Will a ChargePoint wake up I-Pace after a power outage?
post #25 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 02:20 PM
kmp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Roll View Post
I strongly believe this is JLR issue. Although JLR is partnered with ChargePoint.... do any ChargePoint evse have a charge timer? Will a ChargePoint wake up I-Pace after a power outage?
I have a ChargePoint charger that I have used for scheduled Time of Use charging exactly 4 times. Using the ChargePoint App, with the car-side charging schedule off.
The first two times it worked as scheduled. The second two times it did not work. Long discussion with ChargePoint tech support at 1AM in the morning with no resolution. I am now in dialogue with ChargePoint tech support in Arizona, and have just today passed on to them the comment from Juicebox in this thread that said there is a standards problem on the Jaguar side. This seemed to be a new issue for them and they are investigating. They have been very helpful.
The car is now at the dealer getting other things worked on besides this. Will update the group as I learn more.
post #26 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 03:07 PM

Excellent. I have an idea that JLR as a newbie will blame everything on the evse if it is not ChargePoint.

All the other manufacturers have tried to do this same BS tactic.
McRat likes this.
post #27 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdG View Post

Thank you,

This is not true for me, so I don't agree they can make such a blanket statement since my set up works.
post #28 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphanstein View Post
This is not true for me, so I don't agree they can make such a blanket statement since my set up works.
Please give more details on how the JuiceBox and I-Pace are set up to make this function.
post #29 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 10:32 AM

The delayed charging works flawlessly can be done through your cellphone.
Use a 'dumb' EVSE L2.
Turn off all charge timers on I-Pace.
Set alarm on cellphone for the right TOU time.
Get out of bed, or stop in the middle of sex, go out and plug your car in naked or semi-naked and the car is outside the garage and you neighbors see you. Extra points if it's below freezing and you're barefoot and forget the keyfob the first time.

I bet if the CEO of JLR had to do that, he'd put a bigger effort on fixing this reasonably minor bug.

Perhaps rig his personal car so the gas cap can only be removed 1/2 the time or took 10 minute to unscrew.

Last edited by McRat; 02-21-2019 at 10:34 AM.
post #30 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Roll View Post
Please give more details on how the JuiceBox and I-Pace are set up to make this function.
I set the TOU window to be the same on both the Jag and JBP and it worked twice. But not a third and now fourth time.

JuiceBox is fibbing if they say they confirmed they have the I-Pace setup right. You'll know this just by looking at the data they put in for the I-Pace. You have to set a custom profile for it to match.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page