Jump starting? - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By epirali

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

Jump starting?

This morning my step son's civic wouldn't start and needed a jump. I'm so used to the procedure I half awake went for my jumper cables and my car. Then I slapped myself to wake up and stared at my I-Pace puzzled. 1. Where is the 12v battery? 2. Can I jump a petro car?

I quickly find the 12v battery, pics below, but questioned if there would be enough juice to jump the Civic. Lucky my neighbor was heading to work and had a battery charger so we jumped it with that no problem.

I started to Google info on the ability to use an electric car's 12v battery to jump a petro car and it seems the consensus are no there is not enough juice.

Anyone have any experience using an electric car to jump a gas car?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190205_062026.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	186.7 KB
ID:	1263   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190205_062031.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	211.9 KB
ID:	1265   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190205_062034.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	226.0 KB
ID:	1267  
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 12:59 PM

Don't know about the I Pace but it is highly not advisable in most BEVs. The 12V battery is not supplied by an alternator, and some BEVs will use a much smaller capacity 12V to begin with. When you are jumping a car with an ICE you run the engine and rev a little for the alternator to help/supply the current. In a BEV an inverter will recharge the 12V from the main traction battery on demand, but is usually NOT designed for the load needed to jump a car. In fact you may cause damage from inadvertent surges, etc.

I suggest using a portable charged jump start box like this:

https://www.amazon.com/BASAF-Starter...r+jump+starter
fedorachef likes this.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedorachef View Post
This morning my step son's civic wouldn't start and needed a jump. I'm so used to the procedure I half awake went for my jumper cables and my car. Then I slapped myself to wake up and stared at my I-Pace puzzled. 1. Where is the 12v battery? 2. Can I jump a petro car?

I quickly find the 12v battery, pics below, but questioned if there would be enough juice to jump the Civic. Lucky my neighbor was heading to work and had a battery charger so we jumped it with that no problem.

I started to Google info on the ability to use an electric car's 12v battery to jump a petro car and it seems the consensus are no there is not enough juice.

Anyone have any experience using an electric car to jump a gas car?
The manual has a section on how to connect jump leads, but it is not clear if the I-Pace can serve as the 'donor' vehicle. I cannot find the tech specs for that 12V battery anywhere. When you had the cover off could you see any information on it?

http://www.ownerinfo.jaguar.com/docu.../proc/G2249607
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 10:32 AM

I think its possible, just not advised. I don't know if the 12V system would have enough power to directly crank the dead battery. Might have to wait for the boosted car to have enough juice to turn over on its own.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page