Timed charging isn't timed - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By phila
  • 2 Post By McRat

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 01:26 AM Thread Starter

Timed charging isn't timed

Timed charging is a key part of EV ownership - part of being environmentally conscious. I've had a Leaf, Tesla S, and Tesla 3, and all do this well. But the Jaguar is another story: despite setting the time (requires using their phone app - can't be done in the car!) it will fully charge soon after being plugged in if the temperature is <60F. The dealer says it is designed to do this to keep the battery warm - but other cars use plug in power to just keep the battery warm (or cool) without actually charging it until the selected time. So to take advantage of lower electric rates for EV charging, I have to wait until almost midnight to plug it in.

Too bad since it is otherwise a great car - well, the software lags Tesla's, but size (not as long as the oversized S but more interior room), ride, visibility, and controls are perhaps best in class.
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 01:36 AM

The app for the IPace, or Jaguar in general, is not that intuitive and lacks several things that I too would expect out of it. Lets hope this goes through a thorough redesign soon. This is why I choose a "smart" home charger which lets me control charge time directly on the charger and not via the car.
McRat likes this.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVfan View Post
Timed charging is a key part of EV ownership - part of being environmentally conscious. I've had a Leaf, Tesla S, and Tesla 3, and all do this well. But the Jaguar is another story: despite setting the time (requires using their phone app - can't be done in the car!) it will fully charge soon after being plugged in if the temperature is <60F. The dealer says it is designed to do this to keep the battery warm - but other cars use plug in power to just keep the battery warm (or cool) without actually charging it until the selected time. So to take advantage of lower electric rates for EV charging, I have to wait until almost midnight to plug it in.

Too bad since it is otherwise a great car - well, the software lags Tesla's, but size (not as long as the oversized S but more interior room), ride, visibility, and controls are perhaps best in class.
At the moment JLR is pushing people to buy the ChargePoint L2 EVSE which has charge-timing software. I use a JuiceBox Pro which also allows programming the charge time.

The JLR charge-timing software was design by Dyson - 'It Really Sucks'.

IMO - JLR had somebody design the charging system who had never driven an electric car. It does work, it gets the job done, but they should have made it more owner friendly. Even the lowly Chevy Volt is better thought out.
Sbingham60 and phila like this.

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page