Charging Fault - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

Charging Fault

Anybody get a charging fault yet? I had one last night that even tripped the breaker in the house. I have the dedicated 40amp breaker with the recommended charge point charger and haven’t had any issues. Tried charging 2x last night and received the same error. I did get to see how easy it is to manually disconnect the charging g cable though. Luckily I was able to drop off at the dealer this morning as the car seems to run okay.
post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagpa View Post
Anybody get a charging fault yet? I had one last night that even tripped the breaker in the house. I have the dedicated 40amp breaker with the recommended charge point charger and havent had any issues. Tried charging 2x last night and received the same error. I did get to see how easy it is to manually disconnect the charging g cable though. Luckily I was able to drop off at the dealer this morning as the car seems to run okay.
Have not seen that fault yet. Also on a dedicated 40 amp 240 circuit. Using a different EVSE - Mustart instead of Chargepoint.

Did this happen upon initial connect or were you scheduling a charge? Would be good to know how quickly you hit the error.
When you say "manually disconnect" are you saying the disconnect on the handled wouldn't release and you had to go under the hood to disconnect using the Emergency release?

2019 I-Pace EV400 SE
Firenze Red - Ebony/Ebony
Driver Assist Pack
Black Exterior Pack
20" 5 Spoke Style 5068 Gloss Black Wheels
plus a few extras
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

It was charging successfully up until 94% when the error occurred. Yup, has to go under the hood to pull the emergency release.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbingham60 View Post
Have not seen that fault yet. Also on a dedicated 40 amp 240 circuit. Using a different EVSE - Mustart instead of Chargepoint.

Did this happen upon initial connect or were you scheduling a charge? Would be good to know how quickly you hit the error.
When you say "manually disconnect" are you saying the disconnect on the handled wouldn't release and you had to go under the hood to disconnect using the Emergency release?

Appreciate hearing Mustart works. Mine should arrive tomorrow.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 04:20 PM

Odd, at 94% it would be charging slower already anyway as the charge rate goes down the closer it gets to 100%, but possibly not affecting slow AC charging like this would be as that is already slow enough. But would the charge cable not release even with 2x tap of the unlock button on the key?
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 04:43 PM

Tripping the 40a breaker is curious. That should never happen unless the breaker gets too hot or is defective. Make sure the wire clamps on the circuit breaker and wall connection are clean and tight. Make sure breaker is well seated.
The EVSE communicates with the car to tell it the peak amps the EVSE and Car can support, and it's capped to the lower value.
This should never hit past 32 amps under any conditions. When you plugged the car in, they told each other car only accepts 32 amps peak. A correctly wired 40 amp circuit should never get hot enough from 32 amps to trip the breaker.
If the connections are solid, you might have a bad EVSE, or cable from outlet to the EVSE box.
Copper conducts heat extremely well, so a weak connection can pass heat a long distance.

The I-Pace will charge at the full 32a very close to 100%.
deafsoundguy likes this.

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 01:38 AM Thread Starter

Not good news. Car is still at the dealer and now isn’t even recognized by the chargers. Been slowly watching the battery drain as if it sits there. They have tried multiple solutions but still no luck. They are now waiting for a call from the Jaguar engineers. I was hesitant on buying the first year model as I originally owned a F-Pace that had to be replaced due to mechanical issues. I’m beginning to think I should have learned my lesson the first time. If the battery needs to be replaced, I’m requesting a replacement as I do not want this on the maintenance record.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 02:29 AM

This whole thing sounds really odd especially the way you were charging. But yes I agree with you on the first year model theory, hence im glad I have my IPace on a 3 year lease. Lets hope things get sorted out for you.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 02:32 AM

But on the other hand, thats also why I am not a fan of such "dumb" EVSE solutions which dont allow any mobile app or wifi /bluetooth connection into it. A Chargepoint / JuiceBox is not much up-price but possibly you would have gotten some feedback on your phone as to what went wrong and caused this.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

Progress. Charger finally recognized the car at the dealer and was able to charge for a little bit but it through the same battery fault error. Makes me happy that it wasn’t just me getting the error. LOL. Now we sit and wait for the Jaguar Corporate Engineers.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page