Initializing charge ... Not active - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By CurtSprings
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Unread 01-17-2019, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

Initializing charge ... Not active

Persistent problem when I plug the standard 110V. Charging connector into the IPace. It stays "initializing" and doesn't charge. Took it to the dealership 2 days ago and they updated the software and charged the car for me but I am not able to charge it on my own charger.
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Unread 01-17-2019, 05:25 PM

Is the outlet well grounded? EVSE / EVs have Ground Fault Interrupters for safety.

What color light is the charging port when you plug in. Does the plug 'latch'? You will hear it lock, and won't be able to pull it out.

Did you program a charging time window? What does your cellphone remote app say?

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Unread 02-02-2019, 12:20 PM

Hi @McRat Thanks for the reply.
Yes the iPace is plugged into an outdoor GFI home outlet (ChargePoint I have privacy concerns about... they post home charging locations publicly in the Jag ... massive privacy breach to be dealt with on another post)
The Jag charger shows Green light that it has power. The IPace remote App says preparing to charge, the charger locks in and only white flashing light (not green) before the car goes to sleep after 30 seconds.
I suspect its a bug that has to do with either the timeout or the AT&T SIM card (Im in Canada) roaming in Canada... Im in the telematics business and over the years have seen issues with timing and cellular connections... Id like to help Jag debug this nonsense once and for all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Unread 02-02-2019, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cre8veLife View Post
Hi @McRat Thanks for the reply.
Yes the iPace is plugged into an outdoor GFI home outlet (ChargePoint I have privacy concerns about... they post home charging locations publicly in the Jag ... massive privacy breach to be dealt with on another post)
The Jag charger shows Green light that it has power. The IPace remote App says preparing to charge, the charger locks in and only white flashing light (not green) before the car goes to sleep after 30 seconds.
I suspect its a bug that has to do with either the timeout or the AT&T SIM card (Im in Canada) roaming in Canada... Im in the telematics business and over the years have seen issues with timing and cellular connections... Id like to help Jag debug this nonsense once and for all!
What do you mean "the car goes to sleep"? Plug it in when it's unlocked and don't lock it. What happens then?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Unread 02-02-2019, 12:54 PM

Sounds like it has been programmed for a time window. And oddly enough, somehow it works? Normally the time window is pretty hit and miss.
I assume you pushed CHARGE on the cellphone app to force a charge?
The I-Pace does not show outward signs of charging unless you open the door, or check the cellphone app. Unlike most EVs, there is not a steady or blinking light showing it is charging.

PS - Most EVSEs neither need or want a GFI outlet. Both the car and the EVSE have GFI built in. Sometimes it causes problems, but most the time is does not.

Trivia - Jaguar claims that parking a I-Pace unplugged for up to 6 months is OK, but you should charge it once a month to be safe. WOW. Either they got that wrong, or it's sort of unique in the automotive world. Few 2019 cars will sit 6 months and start right up.

Q: How many days can an EV go without charging when parked?
A: Our electric vehicles can be left unattended for at least six months; however, plugging in once a month is optimal. The battery management system is electronically controlled and uses very little energy.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Unread 02-02-2019, 01:00 PM

Perhaps you could talk your dealer into visiting your house to troubleshoot, or find an I-Pace or other EV owner in your area to help troubleshoot it.
Perhaps your EVSE is bad?

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Unread Yesterday, 10:11 PM

FYI, and for the benefit of others who may experience this phenomenon, the above happened to me today, hence I searched the board and found this post. Car wouldn't charge, only "initializing" for hours (realized only after plugging in and walking away)... even after unplugging and plugging and unplugging and pluggin the charging cable countless times (it has NEVER failed to begin charging before in 7 months of use!), even tried unlocking and locking the car, etc. (which I've NOT had to do before).
In the end I simply let the car sit for 10 min, unplugged the ChargePoint Charger, let it reinitialize, too. Once the ChargePoint Charger had found Wifi and had the green ready light, I then tried again. Voila, charging again (like the 100+ times it has worked before!).

2019 I-Pace 400EV HSE First Edition
Santorini Black/Black Window/Grill Trim
Ebony Leather Sport Seats/Suede Headliner
Fully Extended Leather/Ash Wood Trim
Heads-Up Display/Four-Zone Climate
22" 5069 Carbon Wheels/Rubber Mats x5
Delivered 12/22/18

Last edited by dtgsrq; Yesterday at 10:13 PM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Unread Yesterday, 10:46 PM

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but the car does not need to see the internet to charge? It is just to allow monitoring from the in-control app. I am in Canada and the car seems to connect fine to the internet.

Does ChargePoint not ask for permission to share your charger location? I doubt buying their charger obliges you to publish it or offer your charger. I think you can choose to offer it (part of their network), but I can’t imagine that it is by default or mandatory.

BTW, there are other charger options and I can’t imagine using the car in a practical way with a 120V charger. Do you have another charger at work or something?

Last edited by rcomeau; Yesterday at 10:48 PM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Unread Today, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcomeau View Post
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but the car does not need to see the internet to charge? It is just to allow monitoring from the in-control app. I am in Canada and the car seems to connect fine to the internet.

Does ChargePoint not ask for permission to share your charger location? I doubt buying their charger obliges you to publish it or offer your charger. I think you can choose to offer it (part of their network), but I can’t imagine that it is by default or mandatory.

BTW, there are other charger options and I can’t imagine using the car in a practical way with a 120V charger. Do you have another charger at work or something?
Chargepoint does ask your permission to make your charging station public. You can find the permission in the settings. Car does not need to connect to the internet to charge unless you're using the InControl app to set timed charging or departures. WiFi or internet can be used for this, I think. I've only used WiFi so someone else will need to verify this.
rcomeau likes this.