Initializing charge ... Not active - Page 2 - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 12:37 PM

The dealer can charge your car and his car.
You can't charge your car or his car.

I would focus on figuring out if there's something weird about your setup. Does the charging work with the cable that came with the car?
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 03:57 PM

When I've had trouble with getting the charging to start it has been a matter of connecting the charger to the car.

The locking mechanism of the J1772/CCS combo connector must be in the locked position. There are some where I have to push that locking hook down at the car end in order to get it lock. Charging starts as soon as it locks.

If that doesn't get it going, and you're sure it is locked, use the fob to unlock then lock the car. The indicator light by the connector will change to a slow blink green if the charging starts successfully.
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 06:09 AM

Concur with Ayepace. The only 2 times I've ever had trouble charging were solved by: (i) locking and unlocking the car (to begin the initialization process) and (ii) pressing danm hard to get the (slightly misformed?) charging cable (not mine) into the receptacle far enough to make it "click" (lock).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 07:03 AM

I had the problem last night. Have been travelling off/on for the last few weeks so the car has gone 3+ weeks without charging (and still above 50%). Heading on a day troop today so I plugged in last night. Stuck on initializing. I saw this once or twice before and I think I simply did not plug it in properly because locking/unklocking and trying again cleared it the last times. This time no joy. We have a lot of public charging stations in my neighbourhood (2 at least every couple of blocks) so I tried one and no problem. Came back and tried again on my JuiceBox and again, not getting past initializing. Left the car on the public charger overnight (now full charged).

Anyone hit this lately and solved it with anything more than cycling the power (I did this on the Juicebox and had to reconnect to the WIFI) or the lock-unlock trick?

Put an email into tech support and we'll see what happens. Lucky to have the public stations.
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cr8velife View Post
Persistent problem when I plug the standard 110V. Charging connector into the IPace. It stays "initializing" and doesn't charge. Took it to the dealership 2 days ago and they updated the software and charged the car for me but I am not able to charge it on my own charger.
I had the same problem. Do you have precondition schedule? If so, delete it. Don't just disable it, delete it.

What I found merely by chance is quirk. It sees the precondition schedule as a departure time and if there is not enough time to fully charge the vehicle before departure, it wants you to hook the charger up to a source that can fully charge the vehicle before the departure time. If you "completely" "remove" the precondition schedule it assumes you will have it plugged in long enough to fully charge the vehicle. This is why at the dealer where there is probably a larger enough charger to charge the vehicle you don't have the issue. Yes I believe the same would occur if even on the larger charger there was not enough time to fully charge the vehicle with a precondition schedule in place before the departure time.

I found the issue as I charge at work on a smaller 110v supply and at home I have a 240v 40a JuiceBox charger and by fluke, while I was at work trying to troubleshoot the issue I got a popup on my iPhone that stated something to the fact not enough power to fully charge the vehicle before departure time plug in to a larger charger or change the State Of Charge. What I seen on the JLR supplied charger was the blue charging light coming on, flashing for a moment, then shutting off. It kept cycling on and off like this forever. I think the vehicle is looking for a larger supply, not finding it, it shuts off, waits a few minutes then looks again, hence the perpetual "preparing to charge".

I bet you are experiencing the same issue and if you delete the precondition schedule your trouble will go away.

Don't expect the dealer to find, fix the problem or expect JLR to resolve the issue any time soon if at all.

Hope it helps.

PS, I believe the whole J1772 standard is flawed but that is an entirely different subject
LauderdaleFE likes this.

2020 I-Pace HSE
Fuji White/20" 5 spoke 'Style 5068' with Diamond Turned finish/(AdSR)
Light Oyster Windsor leather sport seats with Ebony/Light Oyster interior
Light Oyster Suedecloth headlining/Heated steering wheel/Head-up Display
18-way heated and cooled electric memory front seats with heated rear seats
Meridian™ Surround Sound System/Gloss Charcoal Ash veneer
Front fog lights/Four-zone Climate Control
Configurable Ambient Interior Lighting
Delivery 08/16/19
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcomeau View Post
I had the problem last night. Have been travelling off/on for the last few weeks so the car has gone 3+ weeks without charging (and still above 50%). Heading on a day troop today so I plugged in last night. Stuck on initializing. I saw this once or twice before and I think I simply did not plug it in properly because locking/unklocking and trying again cleared it the last times. This time no joy. We have a lot of public charging stations in my neighbourhood (2 at least every couple of blocks) so I tried one and no problem. Came back and tried again on my JuiceBox and again, not getting past initializing. Left the car on the public charger overnight (now full charged).

Anyone hit this lately and solved it with anything more than cycling the power (I did this on the Juicebox and had to reconnect to the WIFI) or the lock-unlock trick?

Put an email into tech support and we'll see what happens. Lucky to have the public stations.
When my did that it was a JuiceBox failure. They replaced it, which was kind of a PIA, but I never had the problem again once I had the new JB
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantrium View Post
When my did that it was a JuiceBox failure. They replaced it, which was kind of a PIA, but I never had the problem again once I had the new JB
Thanks for the info, I put an email support request so we'll see where this goes. The public chargers next to my house are inaccessible this week while they dig up the street to replace some pipes, so I'll have to walk a block to the car when it needs to be charged (tough life )
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 06:15 PM

I recently ran into a similar problem on a road trip across Colorado.
I needed to charge up at the only DCFC on route, and
the 50kW ChargePoint charger seemed to start, then display an error related to
an "outlet fault".

I tried 2 more times, same error message.

So I remembered an initialization error when charging at home, which was solved by cycling the car On then Off.

Fortunately, this reset fixed the bad state in the I-Pace and it started charging and finished completely.
This might not fix the problem in Scotland, but did help in my situation.

Jaguar I-Pace SE Borasco Grey Mars Red Interior Clear Bra Ceramic Coat
20" Wheels Mud Flaps Meridian Surround Sound Driver Assist Pack
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 09:54 PM

Anyone experience a DCFC causing a continuous initializing phase and then damaging the BEM (Battery Energy Control Module) to such an extent that charging can no longer be done on a Level 1, Level 2, or Level 3 EVSE? This has happened to me twice. I have never seen anyone post such an occurrence and I know many of you use DCFC quite often. Any insight or comments will be appreciated. By the way I reside in South Carolina.
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon2.0eV View Post
Anyone experience a DCFC causing a continuous initializing phase and then damaging the BEM (Battery Energy Control Module) to such an extent that charging can no longer be done on a Level 1, Level 2, or Level 3 EVSE?
What do you mean by "damaging the BEM"?