Charge Point or Juice Box Home Charger? - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

Charge Point or Juice Box Home Charger?

Hi All,

Sorry for so many questions today. I just heard my car might be here in Denver in about a week!

Therefore, I need to get a charger ASAP.

I'm looking at the Charge Point or the Juice box system. I like the look the charge point one but it's only a 32 amp. I know 40 amp shouldn't matter, but it seems like it could be good to be more future proof??

Also, did you go hardwired or plug and play? I'm thinking about one with a plug so I can take it with me if I really want to.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks!
post #2 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 10:50 PM

I went with the Chargepoint. The 40 amp does NOT charge any faster than the 32 amp, they are limited by the internal I-pace charger to 7.3 KwH. I also went for the hardwired, just as easy to take with you if you move and really there is no point to taking it off the wall unless you are moving. AND it costs $50 less. Look for sales of it on Amazon. it goes off and on sale intermittently. I paid only $429.00 for mine and it has the WIFI integration to see and control your charging online.

Jaguar I-Pace First Edition Photon Red
post #3 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

I meant that I could take it with me to our mountain home if I wanted if it was a plug in.

I get that the I-Pace can't charge any faster, but you never know what the future will bring that might make 40 amp better?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 11:10 PM

For portable I would be looking at Juicebox for the variable charge rate. Example would be a buddy's house or business with a 30 amp supply you could turn it down to 24 amps.
post #5 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

For like if I had to plug it into their dryer socket?
post #6 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGhiron View Post
I went with the Chargepoint. The 40 amp does NOT charge any faster than the 32 amp, they are limited by the internal I-pace charger to 7.3 KwH. I also went for the hardwired, just as easy to take with you if you move and really there is no point to taking it off the wall unless you are moving. AND it costs $50 less. Look for sales of it on Amazon. it goes off and on sale intermittently. I paid only $429.00 for mine and it has the WIFI integration to see and control your charging online.
How much is the installation? I think it's more expensive than to just install a 14-50 outlet.
And then go with a flexible portable charging solution?

https://www.i-paceforum.com/forum/55...-solution.html
post #7 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 11:20 PM Thread Starter

Installation isn't really a concern for me. I'm in real estate/development so my electrician is doing me a favor.
sciencegeek likes this.
post #8 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 12:13 AM

I love my JuiceBox Pro 40 Amp - I charge my Teslas and my I-Pace and my 500e on it and it works for all of them. It is worth the extra money.

Brent
post #9 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 12:33 AM

I went with ChargePoint Home 25 also. Had electrician drop a NEMA 6-50 just below electric panels in garage, so I went with the plug in version, both because I had the plug installed before I got the charger, and in case I wanted to move or replace (although probably NOT much more difficult to move or replace the hardwire version). I installed (hung with 3 screws) the charger the day AFTER I got the car in about 20 minutes. Plugged in the charger, then plugged in the car - worked fantastically very first time. The ChargePoint app is useful, even tells me how much I'm charging (and spending if you enter proper kWh cost) and allows scheduling. Nothing against JuiceBox, it was simply costlier, didn't seem to offer more with 40A (not useful for I-Pace for reasons mentioned above), and Jaguar promoted the ChargePoint as its 'approved' solution.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4417.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	1015  
post #10 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtpeper View Post
For like if I had to plug it into their dryer socket?
Exactly. Example Mom had a central vac with a 6-20 outlet in the garage. LEAF charged great at 16 amps.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page