Traction Battery Bottom Buffer is... - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 6Likes
  • 3 Post By Dantrium
  • 1 Post By Time2Roll
  • 2 Post By dtgsrq

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

Traction Battery Bottom Buffer is...

At least 2% of the state of charge (SoC) window, 1.7-1.8 kWh. Perhaps the top buffer is 3.6 kWh then to bring it up to the full 90 kWh from 84.7 kWh.

When the dealer has I-Paces in inventory, they must keep a worksheet (PDI-32605) detailing the battery SoC when delivered, and every 30 days thereafter.

They warn the dealer the car must not go below 0% SoC on the dashboard OR not lower than 2% on the Diagnostic Tool. That means the diagnostic tool is 2% lower than the displayed reading. There could be more buffer under the 2%, but probably not.

More interesting? For long term storage, they want it at 35% SoC. If it is under 15% or over 60% SoC, they want them to adjust the car to 35%. This might explain why my car had 30-35% on it when it was delivered. They don't expect a car to lose more than 5% in 30 days, but if it does drop >5%, charge up to 35%.

Anybody feeling lucky? It might be possible to drive up to 5 miles on 0%, but you better bring a tow truck.

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.

Last edited by McRat; 01-04-2019 at 05:08 PM.
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRat View Post
At least 2% of the state of charge (SoC) window, 1.7-1.8 kWh. Perhaps the top buffer is 3.6 kWh then to bring it up to the full 90 kWh from 84.7 kWh.

When the dealer has I-Paces in inventory, they must keep a worksheet (PDI-32605) detailing the battery SoC when delivered, and every 30 days thereafter.

They warn the dealer the car must not go below 0% SoC on the dashboard OR not lower than 2% on the Diagnostic Tool. That means the diagnostic tool is 2% lower than the displayed reading. There could be more buffer under the 2%, but probably not.

More interesting? For long term storage, they want it at 35% SoC. If it is under 15% or over 60% SoC, they want them to adjust the car to 35%. This might explain why my car had 30-35% on it when it was delivered. They don't expect a car to lose more than 5% in 30 days, but if it does drop >5%, charge up to 35%.

Anybody feeling lucky? It might be possible to drive up to 5 miles on 0%, but you better bring a tow truck.[IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.i-paceforum.com/forum/images/I-PaceForum/smilies/tango_face_grin.png[/IMG]
Well I wasn’t wanting to, but I drove almost 4 miles with the display at 0% and the range left at 0 miles on my way home from picking up my car...
McRat, PGhiron and dtgsrq like this.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 07:14 PM

I was trying to find information on the battery because next month we are going on holidays for a month and the car will be sitting in my garage for the time we are gone. I have left the car for three days without starting it and the charge has not changed at all. So far, it looks like there is not much degradation when it is not being used. I am not sure whether to charge to 100% before I leave and just let it sit for the month, or leave it around 80%. I could also leave the charger plugged into it I guess, but leave the charger in non charge status until I need to charge, if it needs to charge. I don`t want to come home to a dead battery and need a tow truck to tow it out of my garage.

Has anyone else been faced with long term storage and battery levels yet? Jag hasn't been super clear about the charge state yet.

2019 Jaguar I-Pace First Edition Corris Grey 22" Wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 07:37 PM

I would leave it plugged in at 30% to 50%. Use the app to start/stop charging for an hour if charge drops below 30%.
sciencegeek likes this.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 10:35 PM

I left mine at the airport for 5 days. Didn't lose even a mile. I'd lean on the side of safety and leave UNplugged with SOC around 50%. Should be fine. I assume they have surge/lightning protection built in to the charging port, but a month seems like a long time to leave it plugged in and unattended.
I also noticed mine re-initiate charging today even though I had 'Stopped' it via InControl app. I know it wont' "overcharge" but (accidentally) storing at 100% SOC seems unwise.
sciencegeek and Time2Roll like this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page