Set the max battery state-of-charge - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

Set the max battery state-of-charge

Hi Forum,
do you know how to set the maximum state-of-charge of the battery ?

I have a Tesla since several years and it is a fundamental tool to avoid ageing of the battery (i.e., limit the max SOC to values below 100%).

Thanks !

Mario
post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariopaol View Post
Hi Forum,
do you know how to set the maximum state-of-charge of the battery ?

I have a Tesla since several years and it is a fundamental tool to avoid ageing of the battery (i.e., limit the max SOC to values below 100%).

Thanks !

Mario
No need for the I-Pace. Jaguar already maximised it. In fact, you cannot charge the battery for the full (technical) 100%.
This is what they told me when the car was delivered.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 11:52 AM

This is true of most cars, they will now allow the top and bottom range to be used in order to maximize battery. Tesla provides a "range" option that actually taxes the battery and uses more of the buffer SOC range, that is why it warns you.

It is an interesting option, but not something that is easy to explain to non technical users, why there is even an "option" how much charge you have.

BTW this buffer use is common in almost all devices that use lithium ion technology.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 05:01 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedbacks.

As you may know, battery ageing is mainly associated to two phenomena: capacity fading and increasing equivalent series resistance.
Now, these two macroscopic phenomena can modelled by two processes.

Calendar ageing: the battery is ageing with time as a function of its temperature even if it is not cycled. This process can be studied using Arrhenius-type equations.

Cycling ageing: the battery is ageing as a function of the type of cycles it is subjected.

As far as the battery life is concerned, whatever is the electrochemistry (NMC/NCA cathodes and Graphics/Graphite-Si anodes), there is always a minimisation of the cycling ageing if you use the battery within SoC that are well within 0 and 100%. So, in this respect it would been useful to have a max SoC setting.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 05:16 PM

So, what is the consensus on "When to charge"? I have a usual driving range of 240-250 at 100% (as reported by MyEV). So, if I'm driving 20-40 miles a day "usually", so ...

1. Do I need to risk occasional inconvenience and shoot for getting it down around 20-40 miles range before charging to maximize battery longevity?

2. Or, am I okay topping it off whenever it gets down around 100 miles?

3. Or, should I just plug it in most nights, and it will be fine?

My last car was a Fisker Karma where the battery only went 50 miles (like a Volt). So, it wasn't a tough choice - you almost always plugged it in. But, now I'm trying to learn what the right balance is.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 06:48 PM

The basic rules are that for LiIon technology the total cycles is what counts, generally 5 20% charges is same as one 100%. Exceptions are IF you leave the battery at max charge or max empty. The battery is not charged to 100% and not drained to 0. So I'd say as long as you are driving daily don't worry about it. If you plan to store for a few weeks try to leave it close to 50% as ideal storage.

So in a way doing shallow charges is not a bad idea. Does the I Pace have a "hill descent" mode or something that allows leaving some room in the battery for max regen?
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epirali View Post
The basic rules are that for LiIon technology the total cycles is what counts, generally 5 20% charges is same as one 100%. Exceptions are IF you leave the battery at max charge or max empty. The battery is not charged to 100% and not drained to 0. So I'd say as long as you are driving daily don't worry about it. If you plan to store for a few weeks try to leave it close to 50% as ideal storage.

So in a way doing shallow charges is not a bad idea. Does the I Pace have a "hill descent" mode or something that allows leaving some room in the battery for max regen?
I am unaware of a hill descent mode - I don't see it on any of the settings.Does plugging it in every night, even if only running it down to 70-80% shorten the life of the battery or effect the 'memory' of the battery, reducing usability of the full 90 kWh (~84kWh)?
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 07:45 PM

Battery is warranted and there is no chance I will own the car longer than 3 years so I plan on fully charging whenever I can.

2017 Jaguar F-Pace S
Ordered: 2019 Jaguar I-Pace HSE First Edition Corris Grey
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantrium View Post
I am unaware of a hill descent mode - I don't see it on any of the settings.Does plugging it in every night, even if only running it down to 70-80% shorten the life of the battery or effect the 'memory' of the battery, reducing usability of the full 90 kWh (~84kWh)?
There doesn't seem to be anything other than a manual interruption of charging (which at least you can do from your phone) to stop it from going to 100%. I live on top of a 2 to 4 mile downhill run (depending on which way I go). So, I would really love to halt charging at 85 or 90% ... However, if Jag is limiting us already, then maybe the ReGen is still working starting off downhill at 100%? I'll have to test it.

But, thanks for your feedback on charging. So, a fairly safe answer for me is - generally go ahead & charge it anytime it gets below 50-70%.

Just confirming:

If one goes months without ever getting down around 10-20% that is not bad for it?
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 08:24 PM

You can charge a Li battery to it's rated max voltage and drain it to it's min rated voltage with no accelerated decay if you don't allow it to get too hot.

What you DON'T want to do is store it either end of the design window for long periods.

To me, it seemed the i-Pace had full regen power at "100%" charge today, which means there is a sizable top buffer. But I've only had the car 20 hours and charged it twice.
epirali likes this.

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.

Last edited by McRat; 11-29-2018 at 08:29 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page