Researchers say new 'flow battery' could charge electric cars in seconds - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 11:21 PM Thread Starter

Researchers say new 'flow battery' could charge electric cars in seconds

Electric cars could be charged up and ready to go within seconds, according to scientists developing a new type of energy storage system.

Chemists from the University of Glasgow have developed a flow battery system using a nano-molecule that can store electric power or hydrogen gas in a new hybrid energy storage system.

Speaking about their "hybrid-electric-hydrogen" flow battery in the Nature Chemistry journal, they said it was based on the design of a nanoscale battery molecule and that it could release power on demand as electricity or as hydrogen gas - both which could be used to fuel cars.

According to the study, when a concentrated liquid containing the nano-molecules is made, the amount of energy it can store increases tenfold and the energy can be released as either electricity or hydrogen gas, allowing for flexibility in its use.

Read more @

https://news.sky.com/story/researche...conds-11472194
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 01:39 AM

It takes years, maybe decades, for these types of innovations to be ready for market .. if there are no dealbreakers, otherwise they don't see the light of day as products.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 02:19 AM

I remember at least a decade ago, probably two decades, there was tech that replaced the fluid in batteries for a quick charge. I guess it never worked out, like most breakthroughs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 01:10 PM

We wont see this kind of technology placed into a production vehicle, before we see it tested/used in motorsports. If its not cost effective to use there, then we are still a long ways out from seeing it introduced on passenger vehicles.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 11:29 AM

I don't think all good car tech starts in motorsports. Just a lot of it.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page