Home Charging - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

Home Charging

Coming from a Tesla Model S, I really miss how Tesla made charging so easy, and included the UCM w/the car..
Anyway, I now have a NEMA 14/50 in my garage.

So, I'm looking at this for charging:

https://shop.quickchargepower.com/JE...on-JESLAJR.htm

I'm happy the iPace is $17k less than a Model X, but disappointed legacy makers don't take charging seriously.

They keep expecting some other company to solve the problem...

My wife's parents also have a NEMA 14/50, so this would work for that as well...

My wife's Model 3 came with a UMC... and has this neat little thing called the super charger network! lol. I kidd.. I kidd...
I must have super charged at a dozen or so by now w/my S.

Still waiting to get hands on w/the iPace, but will wait for the Tesla Model Y reveal before buying anything...

His: 2013 Tesla Model S - Sold 06/2018. Looking for an EV-SUV
Hers: 2018 Tesla Model 3
post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 01:26 PM

Being Jaguars first production electric, I would expect it to be slightly behind that of Tesla in terms of standard equipment and ease of use. EV owners would really benefit from an overhaul of the charging infrastructure, as currently there's not enough compatibility across different automakers. The model 3 is definitely a pivotal moment for Tesla.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl View Post
disappointed legacy makers don't take charging seriously.

They keep expecting some other company to solve the problem...
I think that's reasonable enough ... but what has actually happened has been rubbish.

Here in UK Government gave money to companies to kick start charger-rollout. That was "local" funds, so in each area of the UK (and it ain't a big country ...) there are different Vendors all with different APPs, RFIDs, requirements for money-deposited-on-account ... nightmare. And of course I don;t need to charge in-my-own-area, every time I travel its to a different area ... <sigh> And, having installed the chargers, the companies have no incentive to keep them working ... so Plugshare is littered with user-reports of the chargers that are bust. And all of them are way too low-power for the future, so all will have to be replaced.

There is rollout across EU of CCS at 150kW or something like that ... but that will take years (and in meantime Tesla keeps on rolling out their solution; its just like BetaMax and VHS all over again ... and then Nisan is sticking to CHAdeMO ...). If a CCS-adaptor, for Tesla, is forthcoming all will be fine for Tesla drivers of course ...

And before we know it the 130 kWh battery will be here, and assuming similar efficiency improvements as from Model-S to Model-3 (20% more range) we will then be at 400+ mile range and road-trip chargers will be rarely needed ... just as the UK government is getting into the swing of rolling them out nationwide <sigh2!>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargedUp View Post
Being Jaguars first production electric, I would expect it to be slightly behind that of Tesla in terms of standard equipment
The UMC on Tesla is a breeze - I can plug into a wall socket in the house (13AMP / 240V here in UK), or a Commando, or if I drive in EU buy an adaptor and fit their (different) wall sockets; there is a 3-phase adaptor available too. If I plug into a wall socket at a friends house and Ahem! "everything starts to get a bit hot" I can just dial-down the AMPs on the car dashboard and slow the charge / reduce the heat.

I would say that Jag coming second has no excuse and could steal that idea ... or improve on it. The Jag onboard charger seems a bit of a disappointment.

As for the nationwide infrastructure of charging then I don't think that's Jag's responsibility. Tesla had to solve that in the early days, better now that we have an international standard ... but both sides playing chicken-and-egg isn't good
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Looks like the US Spec iPace now comes with a 120v plug, so at least that's something.... hold me over until I buy the Jesla thing.

His: 2013 Tesla Model S - Sold 06/2018. Looking for an EV-SUV
Hers: 2018 Tesla Model 3
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 06:44 PM
mgb

Please help me understand this JESLA Jr. product.

Let's say my apartment building has a Model S/X/3 Wall Connector (a Tesla Destination Charger). Does this product provide a conversion from the Tesla connector to the J1772 connector, and into the I-Pace, allowing me to perform level 2 charging off a Tesla Wall Connector?

I presume this only works for Level 2 stations, and not for the Tesla Supercharger network, since there is some additional hand-shaking between the car are TiVo HQ to make sure you are allowed to supercharge.

Seems useful, but $500 seems expensive!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl View Post
Looks like the US Spec iPace now comes with a 120v plug, so at least that's something.... hold me over until I buy the Jesla thing.
Can you show me the USA portable EVSE specifications? Thanks. The Euro ones are 100-265v AFAIK.

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRat View Post
Can you show me the USA portable EVSE specifications? Thanks. The Euro ones are 100-265v AFAIK.
Probably similar to the EVSE that Audi/Porsche provides for their PHEV. You can either use it in 110 (so slow!) or 220. That's what came with my Audi A3 e-tron.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 08:49 AM
Guy

Yes, and the Nissan Leaf has the same now, can be used on both 110 or 220V. Very convenient!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 10:24 AM

While undocumented the GM Bolt and Volt (both are over 7kW charging as of 2019, Volt is 3.6-3.3kW from 2011-2018) can run their EVSE at 240 1-ph USA 60hz power.

Cliff Notes: GMs will charge at 240 with included cable.

While I would be stunned if the EV400 doesn't have a 240 capable charger included, it's not a deal breaker. I have a 40amp portable EVSE from Juice Box with a 14-50 plug already, and L2 fixed chargers at work and home.
phila likes this.

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page