Road Trip_Charging stations - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

Road Trip_Charging stations

I'm planning my first road trip with my I-Pace. How do I find places to charge on my route. I'm traveling from Virginia to Maryland.
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 04:45 PM

Garage
I've been enjoying http://abetterrouteplanner.com/ but you can also use other mapping tools and/or the apps for the larger companies Charge Point, EVgo, Electrify America.

With the better route planning tool - you can set many of your own assumptions (and actual car efficiencies, if you have them)

Last edited by JHock; 09-03-2019 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Adding information.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the information.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I'm planning my first road trip with my I-Pace. How do I find places to charge on my route. I'm traveling from Virginia to Maryland.
Plugshare.com is a crowd-sourced EV charge site tool that works well for me. Shows most vendors sites. You can chose to filter by type of connector and charge type (CCS, L2) It has a Trip Planner tool that is in the left menu if you scroll down past "Extras". You can view other drivers comments and pictures of charge sites you may wish to stop at as well as tips on local places to shop or eat while charging. I use Plugshare to start and then Vendors proprietary app to confirm pricing and availability.

- 2009 BMW MINI E > 2013 Honda Fit EV > 2017 Chevy Bolt EV
- 2013 Ford C-Max Energi > 2020 Jaguar I-Pace HSE
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 05:38 PM

I typically use Plugshare. Haven't heard of the one jhock mentioned, but will check it out.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedorachef View Post
I typically use Plugshare. Haven't heard of the one jhock mentioned, but will check it out.
Abetterrouteplanner was nice until Plugshare added a trip planner to its features. Plugshare will also tell you if the charger is in use or broken as long as someone reports it. Plugshare has a rating system based on driver feedback. It's a great app.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 06:42 PM

I also found PlugShare to be the best option. On occasion it was more up to date than the propriety applications because of the user reporting capabilities. On the flip side, although I never experienced it myself, but there have been reports of ‘malicious’ updates on the PlugShare app, the downside of user updates.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 11:54 PM

I like PlugShare - mostly because you can see "check ins" and find out if people have been using the chargers you plan to recently - which could be critical!!!

The worse scenario is for you to reach a charging station that isn't working, and you haven't the range to make the next one. I recommend you plan a primary and secondary charge locations each time you set out "full" (which really means 80%). And, estimate at least a 10% reduction from your Range Indicator (GOM).

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page