Limiting charge speed option? - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Limiting charge speed option?

Is there any option to limit the charge speed for the I-Pace? From looking at the Electrify America pricing, we'll be charged the 75-150 kW price but only getting 80kW rates (from the posts I've seen elsewhere online). Financially, I'd much rather limit to 74kW and pay the significantly lower rate for a minimal extension in time (plus, the lower 80%+ charge rate would be nice.)

That begs another question - once we hit 80%+ should we end the charging session and re-initiate a session provided that the charge rate is reduced in the 80-100% capacity?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EAPricing.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	2369  
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHock View Post
Is there any option to limit the charge speed for the I-Pace? From looking at the Electrify America pricing, we'll be charged the 75-150 kW price but only getting 80kW rates (from the posts I've seen elsewhere online). Financially, I'd much rather limit to 74kW and pay the significantly lower rate for a minimal extension in time (plus, the lower 80%+ charge rate would be nice.)

That begs another question - once we hit 80%+ should we end the charging session and re-initiate a session provided that the charge rate is reduced in the 80-100% capacity?
Unless EA has a feature to set the charge rate, there is no way in the I-Pace or app to set the max charge rate.
In terms of stopping charge when you reach 80%, I would say that if 80% charge gets you enough to get to your next stop, you should try not to go beyond. Charge efficiency and rate drops off after 80% and gets slower as you get near 100%. So unless you need to be above 80%, it'll be less expensive for you to stop at 80%.

2019 I-Pace EV400 SE
Firenze Red - Ebony/Ebony
Driver Assist Pack
Black Exterior Pack
20" 5 Spoke Style 5068 Gloss Black Wheels
plus a few extras
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbingham60 View Post
Unless EA has a feature to set the charge rate, there is no way in the I-Pace or app to set the max charge rate.
In terms of stopping charge when you reach 80%, I would say that if 80% charge gets you enough to get to your next stop, you should try not to go beyond. Charge efficiency and rate drops off after 80% and gets slower as you get near 100%. So unless you need to be above 80%, it'll be less expensive for you to stop at 80%.
Completely agree Sbingham60 - but living in Phoenix the extended area network isn't up to par just yet, so heading to San Diego or Las Vegas both require a 95% charge at some point in the adventure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 04:36 PM

One thing I didn't test, and I should have, is stopping the session when the charge rate falls to under 75 kW then restarting it.
There is a huge difference between 74kW and 75kW, .25 to .69 per kWh.

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page