Did my first "run the I Pace to empty" test - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 12Likes
  • 10 Post By epirali
  • 1 Post By McRat
  • 1 Post By epirali

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

Did my first "run the I Pace to empty" test

I have done this test with all my EVs, to get a sense of their range guess, the battery percentage, how they behave, how linear the battery gauge is, etc. I got a chance finally to do same with I Pace last night and here are my thought:

- the range estimate (pre new issues) is actually pretty good. I was driving in "grandma/eco" mode because I had a 68 mile drive with 80 mile range guess, and not knowing the car I wanted to make it. I arrive at destination with 15 miles to go, then drove around until I was down to 3 miles.

- the car behaved absolutely the same a predictably all the way down to 3%. Gave a warning at 10%, battery indicator turned orange, but that was the only warning. I did not drive it down to "emergency" mode if there is any so don't know what that would be like.

- for what its worth the car behaved perfectly all the way down, and felt "stable" and really just like a gas car. I never got any unexpected jumps or drops (I have seen those in a Tesla) towards the bottom.

- It looks like for the last few percents it reverts to a simply multiple of range for percent, or the algorithm stops showing effects of other driving styles.

So all in all very positive, I would feel very safe going down to 5% and even down to 2% in case I had to. Very please.
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 02:31 PM

Garage
Thanks, epirali, for doing the test. So what total range did you achieve? Also, where are you located (to get a sense of geography/temps)?

After the last Regen/Gateway update, the range estimate on my vehicle had become pretty accurate as well, hopefully the H228 update being installed today doesn't break that as some are reporting.

HSE | Caesium Blue/Siena Tan | 20" Style 5068 wheels | Received 01/09/2019
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 04:22 PM

You will also note a blue 'max power' line, much like the green 'max regen' line, but on the other side.
It appears at about... 4%?
My car went all the way down to zero, and it forces Battery Saver and the blue line gets tight.
epirali likes this.

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

I didnít do this test for total range (sorry), I know I got a total of 90 miles from 44%, but that was a mix of driving including AC on on a very hot day in VA. The last 75 was with climate off, driving carefully because I didnít trust the battery SOC and/or GOM yet. Now I do.

In MD/VA area with temps in 70-80 I can easily achieve 240 with climate off and 210-220 with climate on. This is normal driving (not racing, not carrying grandma, and I am an aggressive type driver). Mix of speeds including highways at 80 mph. And I tend to drive in dynamic because I prefer tighter suspension but I can control the acceleration/regen just as well with care as in eco mode. Now that I now the SOC is pretty linear and accurate I am sure based on what was left in range/SOC and what I had actually driven. I was getting 170-180 in winter when it was cold, but I would precondition the car while plugged in.

@McRat : thanks I did notice that but it really hadnít tightened at 3%. I did keep trying power on dynamic mode and it wasnít really throttling yet. I am sure it would have if I had the courage to go to 0!
ryzvy likes this.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 01:27 PM

Garage
Thanks, @epirali Looks like we are in the same area (DC here) and so are getting similar range

HSE | Caesium Blue/Siena Tan | 20" Style 5068 wheels | Received 01/09/2019

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page