Teslarati I-Pace Range Claims - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 04:39 AM Thread Starter

Teslarati I-Pace Range Claims

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-riva...uyers-remorse/

I just saw this article pop up on my Google News feed. Needless to say, the site seems to have a bias.

My experience is that in my daily commute (2,000ft elevation change, 40mi round trip) I usually end up the next day with 100% charge and ~185mi range predicted.

However after a long car trip (~200mi) on the flat in CA using comfort driving mode expected range climbed up to 230mi with a 100% charge.

This just seems to be the way the car calculates and displays range dynamically based on driving style. It's very responsive to the most recent driving conditions.
McRat likes this.
post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SipherHex View Post
https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-riva...uyers-remorse/

I just saw this article pop up on my Google News feed. Needless to say, the site seems to have a bias.

My experience is that in my daily commute (2,000ft elevation change, 40mi round trip) I usually end up the next day with 100% charge and ~185mi range predicted.

However after a long car trip (~200mi) on the flat in CA using comfort driving mode expected range climbed up to 230mi with a 100% charge.

This just seems to be the way the car calculates and displays range dynamically based on driving style. It's very responsive to the most recent driving conditions.
Read the article. The guy (I-Pace owner) in which the article is about is in the middle of fighting with JLR to replace his I-Pace or return it for a full refund. He's obviously had a lot of range problems which most of us here on this Forum don't seem to have. We may have other issues (Infotainment, a/c, etc.) but the range for the most part hasn't wavered much...approx 190-220mi. hwy / approx 220-240mi. city. I haven't seen the low range this guy in the article has been experiencing, so perhaps wither he drives it everyday "like he stole it" with a super heavy foot and/or maybe he really does have a major problem with his particular I-Pace?

2019 Jaguar I-Pace EV400 HSE
Indus Silver w/ Black Pack Ext & Front Fog Lights
Mars Red Windsor Leather Performance Seats w/ Carbon Fiber Trim,
Ebony Suede Headlining & Illuminated Jaguar Treadplates
22" Style 5069 Wheels
Adaptive Dynamics
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflgator View Post
Read the article. The guy (I-Pace owner) in which the article is about is in the middle of fighting with JLR to replace his I-Pace or return it for a full refund. He's obviously had a lot of range problems which most of us here on this Forum don't seem to have. We may have other issues (Infotainment, a/c, etc.) but the range for the most part hasn't wavered much...approx 190-220mi. hwy / approx 220-240mi. city. I haven't seen the low range this guy in the article has been experiencing, so perhaps wither he drives it everyday "like he stole it" with a super heavy foot and/or maybe he really does have a major problem with his particular I-Pace?
He's getting 38.4 kWh / 100 miles in 12 mph stop-stop-n-go-stop-n-stop-crawl traffic. That's normal for I-Pace, MS, and MX.
He does not understand what the numbers mean.

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRat View Post
He's getting 38.4 kWh / 100 miles in 12 mph stop-stop-n-go-stop-n-stop-crawl traffic. That's normal for I-Pace, MS, and MX.
I would be thrilled to get 38.4 kWh all day long in my I-Pace, lol!

2019 Jaguar I-Pace EV400 HSE
Indus Silver w/ Black Pack Ext & Front Fog Lights
Mars Red Windsor Leather Performance Seats w/ Carbon Fiber Trim,
Ebony Suede Headlining & Illuminated Jaguar Treadplates
22" Style 5069 Wheels
Adaptive Dynamics
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 10:42 AM

Well the article has a definite tilt that makes it seem like all I Paces are like that but then again look at the source. Its pretty much a propaganda site. I linked this on another thread as an example that the I Pace is obviously a threat to Tesla.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 11:53 AM

Very transparent hit piece. I could do one tomorrow using a Tesla owner whose car spontaneously caught fire, and I'd scare a lot more people with it.

The fact that they published this kind of cheap shot is probably telling.

But I'll need a Jaguarati site to push my propaganda.
epirali, dtgsrq and Jtdavi3 like this.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 03:49 PM

Shah is an idiot. He'll complain more if he ever get an e-tron or EQC.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 04:35 PM

Quote:
If he's truly averaging 38.4 kWh/100 miles then his range is 220 miles. Perhaps there's a problem with his battery and he doesn't have the full 84.7 kW capacity?
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtSprings View Post
If he's truly averaging 38.4 kWh/100 miles then his range is 220 miles. Perhaps there's a problem with his battery and he doesn't have the full 84.7 kW capacity?
You are not going to get much more than 220 miles at an average speed in stop and go of 12 mph. For sitting parked for extended periods in the summer, his number is about right.
There is a lot of debate how a battery should be measured. Depending on how you measure it, the I-Pace has 82, 84.7, or 90.x kWh.

One of the updates froze our Range Estimator at 201 miles. This was probably due to complaints by people who don't understand range estimators, cars, or EVs.
I had my car updated, and now when I charge to 100%, it always says 201 miles. So it now mimics a Tesla, basically a Voltage Meter. "IF TBvolts > 453 THEN EVrange = 201". That first mile down to 200 could be as far as 5 miles sometimes, or as short as backing out of my driveway.

This has NOTHING to do with the range and everything to do with making customers happy who are not good with math or science.

There is NO range in a battery or gas tank. There is capacity, but not miles. Ever. Everything is an estimate. You can do a 'dumb' estimate, or a 'learned estimate'. I-Paces originally had a learned estimate. So if you normally drive 55 mph to work, no congestion, flat ground, it would say 260 miles with a 100% charge. If I drive through hills at 85 mph, it will say 190 miles instead. The beauty is this will correct for tires, seasons, the weight of your foot, etc. The Voltmeter cannot.

Many Tesla owners swear by the Voltmeter. Since I used to do a lot of heavy towing, I hated 'dumb' meters. I want to know my REAL range, not a fixed number. In 2004 my truck had an excellent grasp on it's range. When you are towing 13,000 lbs, your range is tragically bad. Having a good estimator saved time since I could run below 1/4 tank with safety.

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.

Last edited by McRat; 07-09-2019 at 05:36 PM.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 06:33 PM

Quote:

One of the updates froze our Range Estimator at 201 miles. This was probably due to complaints by people who don't understand range estimators, cars, or EVs.
I had my car updated, and now when I charge to 100%, it always says 201 miles. So it now mimics a Tesla, basically a Voltage Meter. "IF TBvolts > 453 THEN EVrange = 201". That first mile down to 200 could be as far as 5 miles sometimes, or as short as backing out of my driveway.
That’s odd, as mine is still a dynamic range estimate.

Have you confirmed that this is an intentional change that will roll out ball cars vs your car just acting up?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page