Jaguar Remote units conversion. - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

Jaguar Remote units conversion.

I’ve been looking at our journey logs on Jaguar Remote and noticed the Energy consumption unit is in km/kWh. Sounds like a made up unit to me.

Being in Canada where our units with ICE use l/100km shouldn’t the units be kWh/ 100km?

Getting 4.2 km/kWh on the highway which is 23.8 kWh/ 100 Km.
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almost arctic View Post
I’ve been looking at our journey logs on Jaguar Remote and noticed the Energy consumption unit is in km/kWh. Sounds like a made up unit to me.

Being in Canada where our units with ICE use l/100km shouldn’t the units be kWh/ 100km?

I don’t recall all the options, but if you log in on the computer, you change the reported units to something you like better. The information remains the same, it just changes how you see it.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almost arctic View Post

There are two paths when you want to report mileage:

Distance per Fuel Unit
Fuel use per Distance Unit

In a bizarre twist of fate, our cars default to F/D and the remote to D/F.

IMO, "Unit" is the key. 100km is not a unit, it's a multiple of a unit, so you have "multiples of fuel divided by multiples of units". Meh.

You should use what you're most comfortable with, but 100 km is a pretty large unit to do "Will I Make It" calcs with. If you know your car will get 15% better economy at 100kph than 120kph, do you need to slow down to get 40 km to the charger when you have 9 kWh left (10% warning)?

Never could understand the liters per 100 km method. Pretty sure your fuel receipt isn't in 100 km increments. Why didn't they use km per liter? Same reason Excel defaults to radians for trig. Somebody with no practical experience was put in charge of it, fresh out of college. In the real world, we like integers, degrees, units, linear comparisons, and even denominator fractions, heck our clocks are base 60 to make "top of your head" calcs easier.

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.

Last edited by McRat; 07-03-2019 at 09:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

I’m the other way. Consumption is how much of something is used (gas, electrons, cords of wood) per unit(s) of thing done (distance travelled, degrees temperature change,etc). Mpg is a crappy designation. 20 mpg is vastly more efficient a change over 18mpg whereas 33 is a relatively modest improvement on 31 mpg. Using km/kWh will keep this crappy expression system perpetuated. It is a measure of economy not of consumption.
http://www.mpgillusion.com/p/what-is...usion.html?m=1

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page