Range Anxiety - Considering Purchase - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

Range Anxiety - Considering Purchase

I'm very much interested in purchasing a new 2020 i-Pace. There are some on lots in my area that have my interest. I considered a Model S, but frankly, am uncertain about the build quality and the nearest "service center" is 2 hours away. I have Jag dealerships about 1 hour away. Also, I want the full tax credit (which is phasing out now for Tesla)

Which leads to my question. A couple of times a month I have to drive about 150 miles, mostly interstate.

For those of you that own this vehicle, can I reliable drive that distance on 1 charge? And when I say reliably, I mean at normal interstate speeds (ie. 70-80 mph), in the midwest cold winters, etc. I realize I can stop and charge if needed, but as much as I'm interested in an iPace its simply not worth the time for me to have to stop and "top off" somewhere.

I've read a ton of the threads focused on maximizing range, however, in your personal experience is 150 consistent and reliable - even in cold weather?
post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicedparrot View Post
I'm very much interested in purchasing a new 2020 i-Pace. There are some on lots in my area that have my interest. I considered a Model S, but frankly, am uncertain about the build quality and the nearest "service center" is 2 hours away. I have Jag dealerships about 1 hour away. Also, I want the full tax credit (which is phasing out now for Tesla)

Which leads to my question. A couple of times a month I have to drive about 150 miles, mostly interstate.

For those of you that own this vehicle, can I reliable drive that distance on 1 charge? And when I say reliably, I mean at normal interstate speeds (ie. 70-80 mph), in the midwest cold winters, etc. I realize I can stop and charge if needed, but as much as I'm interested in an iPace its simply not worth the time for me to have to stop and "top off" somewhere.

I've read a ton of the threads focused on maximizing range, however, in your personal experience is 150 consistent and reliable - even in cold weather?
For your 150 mile trip, do you mean out and back? What is your terrain and typical wind like? Driving into a headwind will increase consumption just as good weather does. Combining the two is a recipe for ooor range.

Also, what do you mean by ‘cold’? In my experience, when the temps are in the 20’s 150 miles would be doable at 65mph, but probably not at 75mph. If you are talking single digits or below, 150 miles is unattainable at a steady 75mph. Slow down to 55mph and you might be able to squeeze out 150 miles, but it would be close.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 06:02 PM

We can help better if you share your location (town is fine)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 07:28 PM

Another user has posted his detailed experience on another post. This is obviously in warmer weather and I assume limited wind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGhiron View Post
My testing on both commutes and long distance driving I find that there is a sweet spot of 55 or 56 mph, staying in that I get about 248 miles of range with the air condition/heat off. For each single MPH over that my range reduces by a corresponding 4 miles in range. Thus, at:
60 only 240,
61 only 236,
62 only 232,
63 only 228,
64 only 224,
65 only 220,
70 only 200,
80 only 160.

Air condition brings everything down about another 10% loss in range

Has worked really well so far in planning purposes. Anyone have other experience.

OBTW - I am running 20" wheels at tires at 41 psi
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

SE Wisconsin / Chicago. So while the interstates out here are relatively flat we are talking really cold temps in winter. Sometimes subzero, often below freezing.

The 150 is one way, but i can charge easily at both locations.

However, if there is a risk in not getting there at all...well....bummer.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicedparrot View Post
SE Wisconsin / Chicago. So while the interstates out here are relatively flat we are talking really cold temps in winter. Sometimes subzero, often below freezing.

The 150 is one way, but i can charge easily at both locations.

However, if there is a risk in not getting there at all...well....bummer.
That's a long trip. I think you're in bummerland. Sub-zero, one way, you're going to need something like 300 miles of EPA range at 65mph, probably more if you wanna go 80mph, and even more since you're going to want the heat on. A long-range Model S, not X, is the only EV I'd wanna do that trip in.

Better yet, get the I-Pace for your daily and an ICE car for the long trips. I suggest an Avalon, Buick sedan, Lincoln, or Genesis. If you wanna go big, get a used LS430.

Wait, you live in Wisconsin and you don't have a 4x4 truck???

Photon FE, 2013 FR-S, 2017 RAM 1500, 2014 Forester
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantrium View Post
Another user has posted his detailed experience on another post. This is obviously in warmer weather and I assume limited wind.
I posted the chart referenced and those previous numbers is at the current climate of 60 - 90 degree days.

For winter sub zero temperatures the HEATER makes a huge difference in range. Instead of a 10% hit, it is closer to a 20 percent hit in range.

What I found works best is if you first heat up the cabin for the first 10-20 minutes and then shut off the heater and just run the seat heaters things are very comfortable and I was seeing the following with outside temperature running between 10 - 30 degrees:

55 mph, 200
60 only 190,
61 only 186,
62 only 182,
63 only 178,
64 only 174,
65 only 170,
70 only 150,
80 only 130.

Again this is with 20" wheels at tires at 41 psi

Jaguar I-Pace First Edition Photon Red
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 12:34 AM

You should be fine. We drive from Los Angeles to Palm Springs/Rancho Mirage area often. That is about 125 miles with going up and down elevation. The GOM usually have 100 miles to spare.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 12:49 AM

I don't have cold weather data for you yet but think you can make the distance if you follow the owners manual tips. Use comfort or eco mode, high regen, precondition the car, cycle heater on and off. Use a light touch on the accelerator and use the **** out of the adaptive cruise control. Again, I haven't traveled in the cold yet (Colorado winter weather will be a new challenge) but I consistently get 250 miles range at 65-70 MPH.

I learned a lot of tricks trying to maximize the battery range of my old PHEV and you'll learn too.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 12:50 AM

I can't believe h-e--double hockey sticks gets censored. Lol
deafsoundguy likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page