Range Anxiety - Considering Purchase - Page 2 - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicedparrot View Post
SE Wisconsin / Chicago. So while the interstates out here are relatively flat we are talking really cold temps in winter. Sometimes subzero, often below freezing.

The 150 is one way, but i can charge easily at both locations.

However, if there is a risk in not getting there at all...well....bummer.
My weather is a bit colder and roads a bit flatter than what you have in SE Wisconsin and I didn't chart it out like PGhiron did, but his numbers are right in line with my experience. I think you could use them to base your decision. Best case scenario, unless you are willing to travel slow (<55mph), making a 150 mile trip in the dead of winter is likely at the far edge of feasible.

My fuel efficiency was actually a little bit worse than those numbers, but out here on the prairie we have constant wind and that causes just as much problems as the cold weather. In December I did a few 126 mile loop test trips on the Interstate with the temps in the teens. I consistently used about 50kWh/100 miles at 60mph. My best was 43.7kWh/100 miles with the cruise set at 53mph. My worst was 58kWh/100 miles at 70mph. I didn't bother running a test at higher speeds or even colder temps because ultimately it doesn't matter, because I quickly learned that if I need to travel anywhere in the winter, it won't be in the I-Pace. I did precondition the car before every trip and I did use the climate control as needed to stay comfortable. I'm not interested in traveling like I am driving a 1966 VW Beetle...
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 09:20 AM

For 150 miles, wearing 18" M+S, I think I'd be comfy. If you were considering soft-compound 22" summer tires, I'd be less confident and want a backup plan (a DCFC on route to throw 15 min of juice in).

The only "freezing" 150mi trip we took was IIRC, 28-36F, 75 mph, Norco to Santa Barbara in Feb, coastal mountains wearing 20" All-Seasons. On the way up, 31% left, return trip (colder, not 100% SOC, used battery to melt ice on windshield) left 18%.

That's just my experience. And 75 mph around here is not safe since N-side black ice from runoff can occur at higher than 32F, plus it's speeding by 10mph over which can get you ticketed.

But... We had two people, and luggage. This will actually improve your heater performance at the expense of rolling resistance and hill performance. I believe the coastal mountains are puny, at 2400' max perhaps. But in freezing weather at 4500' is was not tragically bad, but there was little snow when I went North. A Better Route Planner says the I-Pace will not be able to complete trips I've takes at 70-81 mph even if I slow to 35 mph. So you will need some first hand results.

Bjorn Nyland test the Tesla, I-Pace, and eTron in snow country (Norway) on wet roads in freezing type conditions on M+S Conti's. It might be enlightening.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3509.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	377.8 KB
ID:	1913  
docsbc likes this.

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 11:08 AM

Tremendous Video! Thanks for sharing!!

2020 ZR
Yulong White / Performance Siena Tan seats/ Carbon Fiber Exterior/ 22" Carbon insert Tires / Suede cloth headliner / Cooled glovebox / HUD / AdSR / Extended leader package/ 4 Zone Climate control/ Adaptive Dynamics / Front Fog lamps / Gloss Black side window surround and Activity Key.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 11:48 AM

Great information and the efficiency numbers make sense considering the I-Pace is the lightest and Model X is the most aerodynamic. Close battle between the two
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRat View Post

Bjorn Nyland test the Tesla, I-Pace, and eTron in snow country (Norway) on wet roads in freezing type conditions on M+S Conti's. It might be enlightening.
I am surprised that in this test, the I-Pace, with 18” tires, had the same efficiency as PGhiron does with his stock 20” - 190 miles range at 60mph on the ‘interstate’. Which again, is in line with my experience putting about 8000 miles or so on my car with the temps never going above freezing.
docsbc likes this.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicedparrot View Post
I'm very much interested in purchasing a new 2020 i-Pace. There are some on lots in my area that have my interest. I considered a Model S, but frankly, am uncertain about the build quality and the nearest "service center" is 2 hours away. I have Jag dealerships about 1 hour away. Also, I want the full tax credit (which is phasing out now for Tesla)

Which leads to my question. A couple of times a month I have to drive about 150 miles, mostly interstate.

For those of you that own this vehicle, can I reliable drive that distance on 1 charge? And when I say reliably, I mean at normal interstate speeds (ie. 70-80 mph), in the midwest cold winters, etc. I realize I can stop and charge if needed, but as much as I'm interested in an iPace its simply not worth the time for me to have to stop and "top off" somewhere.

I've read a ton of the threads focused on maximizing range, however, in your personal experience is 150 consistent and reliable - even in cold weather?

Have you considered a plug-in hybrid? I know it might be blasphemous to mention purchasing other great cars on a Jag forum, but I'm a Jag freak, always have been, and most likely will always have a Jag or two, plus an electric car. I hear what your saying on range anxiety and stopping to charge. The time to charge bums me out but if you have to pay to charge at a rate not too far away from just getting gas that really bums me out even further, which is why I never in the 5 years I had an i3 ever did that, and just used the ReX. Having that ReX was just the greatest but after seeing electric cars along the lines of the IPace, I knew I had to get a better looking car but finding a luxury electric car with REAL world daily range 40 to 50 miles AND a ReX is nearly impossible. In fact, as far as I know the 2016 ELR is the only car that has an even nicer interior than most Jags, has a range over 40 miles ( I get 48 to 52 myself no heat), and can run on gas over 35mpg at the touch of a button to go any distance you need. And it handles great, it's fast enough and all my car buddies think it looks better than an I Pace so it was a no brainer for me and saved like 50 grand to boot with a 3 year CPO.

It's just an idea... for guys like you where you want to just forget about range anxiety forever, and still go electric for most everything else at distance, it's just the greatest. Best car I've ever owned and extremely reliable. I'm sure member bruintoo can attest to that since he has both an IPace and a ELR....

So I'm praying that Jag will someday make that ReX for one of it's cars... that will be a great day indeed! I don't know if there's anything out there currently that can do 40+ electric/gas on demand and still be a luxury car, maybe there is now.

2017 FPace - S Odyssey Red, black blades, black pack
2007 XK coupe in Black w Carelia wheels
2016 Cadillac ELR
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 09:02 PM

Just find a DCFast charger , you need 15 min either way, stop and get coffee. Its worth it!

2020 ZR
Yulong White / Performance Siena Tan seats/ Carbon Fiber Exterior/ 22" Carbon insert Tires / Suede cloth headliner / Cooled glovebox / HUD / AdSR / Extended leader package/ 4 Zone Climate control/ Adaptive Dynamics / Front Fog lamps / Gloss Black side window surround and Activity Key.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 01:49 AM

I'm totally with doc on this. Most of the time you'll be fine. In a small set of circumstances you may have to charge up on your way.

Since you're an academic who lives in Madison and have to go to Chicago to visit a collaborator you have a 150 mile drive; there's an EA charger in Rockford at the Sam's Club. There's a Starbucks 0.6 miles away. Go for a walk and get a coffee if you have to stop due to inclement weather. Most of the time you'll make it home just fine.

When you say "can charge at either end" do you have a fast charger in Chicago (or wherever you're going, which is probably Chicago)?
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

Nice guess, but not an UW academic. id be traveling up/down 43/94 so Rockford doesnt help much. Besides, if its too cold to get enough range then its also going to be too cold for me to want to walk a half mile to starbucks and back!

I think the ECQ is suppose to have more reliable range, perhaps ill see what that looks like later this year instead.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 09:19 PM

haha, ok i had to try

the eqc isn't going to be any better than the iPace in terms of range. i've done a handful of 150 mile trips and the only time i broke a sweat was going uphill with a fierce headwind.

milwaukee has a few EVgo and Chargepoint chargers ... you'll be fine ... most of the time you won't have to stop to charge; maybe you need to top off in the depth of winter when you have a headwind ...

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page