EV Range Report, I-Pace came in 2nd and ahead of Tesla.. - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

EV Range Report, I-Pace came in 2nd and ahead of Tesla..

Really interesting read about real world range tests of EV. So interesting that despite all the bluster and putting down the Tesla Fan boys have lobbed against the I-Pace, that in the real world tests some show that the I-Pace has longer legs.

1. Hyundai Kona Electric, 259 miles
2. Jaguar I-Pace, 253 miles
2. Kia e-Niro, 253 miles
4. Tesla Model X (P100D), 233 miles
5. Tesla Model S 75kWh, 204 miles
6. Audi e-tron, 196 miles
7. BMW i3 120Ah, 165 miles
8. Hyundai Kona electric 39kWh, 158 miles
9. Renault Zoe R110, 146 miles
10. Nissan Leaf, 128 miles

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/a...9lMhC1nylQy5_o
Mister Dave, epirali and ryzvy like this.

Jaguar I-Pace First Edition Photon Red
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 10:51 PM

the 2020 is pushing 282 miles, I did NOT drive it conservatively by any stretch and easily got 165 with 101 miles left on the range.
PGhiron and wbjag like this.

2020 ZR
Yulong White / Performance Siena Tan seats/ Carbon Fiber Exterior/ 22" Carbon insert Tires / Suede cloth headliner / Cooled glovebox / HUD / AdSR / Extended leader package/ 4 Zone Climate control/ Adaptive Dynamics / Front Fog lamps / Gloss Black side window surround and Activity Key.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 12:44 AM

Ok I don't remember all the Tesla configurations but it doesn't seem fair to include only the small-battery Model S and the highest performance model of the X. But at any rate, the iPace is no slacker.
fedorachef and PGhiron like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 08:41 PM

I read the article you provided the link for, and they claim to have only gotten slightly more than 200 miles during their test as opposed to the 253 as noted above. I don’t seem to get much more than 200 either on a regular basis.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by docsbc View Post
the 2020 is pushing 282 miles, I did NOT drive it conservatively by any stretch and easily got 165 with 101 miles left on the range.
Yeah, I wonder if that has anything to do with the battery rumor? Love to hear more as you drive more. How you liking your new vehicle?

2020 I-Pace HSE
Fuji White/20" 5 spoke 'Style 5068' with Diamond Turned finish/(AdSR)
Light Oyster Windsor leather sport seats with Ebony/Light Oyster interior
Light Oyster Suedecloth headlining/Heated steering wheel/Head-up Display
18-way heated and cooled electric memory front seats with heated rear seats
Meridian™ Surround Sound System/Gloss Charcoal Ash veneer
Front fog lights/Four-zone Climate Control
Configurable Ambient Interior Lighting
Delivery 08/16/19
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 12:54 AM

Ugh! Had a big night tonight planned and the Ipace would have stole to show at a black tie event. However, I was late and it had to be towed... why??? because the 120 miles it said I would get on the way home turned into 45 miles. I dont know what happened, but I began eating battery like a 6 year old android. Its in the garage now on the charger. Jaguar has an appointment for next week. But here is my best guess

1. I gave the dealership a list of things to make sure they did based on the info from this forum

- they DID NOT deflate the tires to the proper PSI so I had to go back
- I dont believe they updated my software either, although I specifically asked to make sure it happened

The manager that I ordered this with was sent to a different store and the new management ... well lets just say they probably wouldn't have gotten my 2 purchases this year. Im not impressed. Its difficult to separate a dealer from the manufacturer, but on another note

I must have had 26 people ... and Im not exaggerating, talk to me or honk and give me the thumbs up on the car.. its gorgeous. But these dealerships arent pulling their weight.

Ill try to get a picture of the luggage, very high quality stuff and very nice looking
Calidave and PGhiron like this.

2020 ZR
Yulong White / Performance Siena Tan seats/ Carbon Fiber Exterior/ 22" Carbon insert Tires / Suede cloth headliner / Cooled glovebox / HUD / AdSR / Extended leader package/ 4 Zone Climate control/ Adaptive Dynamics / Front Fog lamps / Gloss Black side window surround and Activity Key.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 01:21 AM

I think I found the issue: https://www.greencarreports.com/news...-short-circuit

what software updates are you all running??

2020 ZR
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 04:36 AM

I just noticed the Chevy Bolt is not on the list because it is a UK publication. It’s a shame because that little car at 60KWHr actually has a very good real life range, and in fact I tended to get about the same or a little more range out of the Bolt in similar driving conditions than the I Pace.

Yes I know the I Pace is bigger, heavier and h**l of a lot more fun per mile, so just an observation.
deafsoundguy and Mister Dave like this.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by docsbc View Post
Ugh! Had a big night tonight planned and the Ipace would have stole to show at a black tie event. However, I was late and it had to be towed... why??? because the 120 miles it said I would get on the way home turned into 45 miles. I dont know what happened, but I began eating battery like a 6 year old android. Its in the garage now on the charger. Jaguar has an appointment for next week. But here is my best guess

1. I gave the dealership a list of things to make sure they did based on the info from this forum

- they DID NOT deflate the tires to the proper PSI so I had to go back
- I dont believe they updated my software either, although I specifically asked to make sure it happened
The range estimate is the car's best guess based on your average rate of consumption over the latest recent drives. What exactly that involves is unknown to me - is it the last 3 trips, the last 24 hours of driving activity, the last 3 days of driving or a combination or something else? I don't know. However, I have found that it is actually very accurate if I am doing what I have typically done over the last couple days. So if I have been primarily making short trips around town for the last few days and continue that same driving pattern my average consumption stays consistent, therefore the estimated range is correct. However I better not expect that range if I now decide to take a trip on the highway as it will be nothing close to accurate and as you discovered will adjust down about 10 miles every couple miles.

What I have found more helpful than the car's estimated range is to calculate my range based on my current trips average consumption rate. You can see that in the Eco Data screen or in the trip meter or likely a few other areas depending on your screen configurations. In my experience, that average consumption rate is a great way to predict the range, provided your driving is relatively consistent on that trip. This is really helpful if you are in a situation in which you think you will be traveling close to the end of your battery and provides you a better opportunity to look for plan b's sooner than hoping the car's range estimate is good.

The Eco Data screen is also helpful in order to squeeze the extra miles from the car. Look at the Range Impact area to determine what accessories are sucking juice and then adjust/turn-off as desired. For instance you will notice ventilated seats have minimal impact, but the AC compressor is a big hog. The difference between Eco mode and low power mode is not huge. Note if you select low power mode it turns everything off, even the things that make close to zero difference like the radio and the center screens. You can turn those back on without exiting low power mode. You can even turn the HVAC fans back on (they have a small impact, but not much). Speed is a big killer, cruising at 70mph uses a lot more juice than cruising at 55mph. You can mitigate that difference by using the auto-follow feature and draft a semi

BTW - deflating the tires will have a negative impact on range, so if that is an important consideration, over-inflate, not under-inflate
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantrium View Post
The range estimate is the car's best guess based on your average rate of consumption over the latest recent drives. What exactly that involves is unknown to me - is it the last 3 trips, the last 24 hours of driving activity, the last 3 days of driving or a combination or something else? I don't know. However, I have found that it is actually very accurate if I am doing what I have typically done over the last couple days. So if I have been primarily making short trips around town for the last few days and continue that same driving pattern my average consumption stays consistent, therefore the estimated range is correct. However I better not expect that range if I now decide to take a trip on the highway as it will be nothing close to accurate and as you discovered will adjust down about 10 miles every couple miles.

BTW - deflating the tires will have a negative impact on range, so if that is an important consideration, over-inflate, not under-inflate
uhh, just bought it Friday so I have no real usage data.... but I get it... a hard lesson. btw, not drafting any semi's I did draft a shuttle bus though. I had a cracked windshield from semi's on 3 vehicles over the last 16 months!

BTW, one of the big issues is lack of chargers on my route and the most devastating was a DC fast charger 11 miles of the route, but when I got there it was disabled!!!!!

2020 ZR

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page