Cold Weather Impact - Page 3 - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 04:28 PM

I fly monthly for work and typically can leave my car on a charger at the airport while I'm gone, 3 - 4 days, but not always. With my previous Tesla the battery would drain considerably if not plugged in; noticed more so in heat than cold. In warmer months you could hear the fan for the Tesla quite a ways away. Some would comment if the car had a jet engine. Haha

Last month all the airport chargers were full so I had to leave the I-Pace unplugged Sunday afternoon through Wed night. It lost 3 miles of range in total when I returned. Believe temps were mid 40's to 50's while I was away. I was surprised so little since the Tesla would lose a lot more in same conditions. Curious to see how it does when the summer comes around.
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedorachef View Post
I fly monthly for work and typically can leave my car on a charger at the airport while I'm gone, 3 - 4 days, but not always. With my previous Tesla the battery would drain considerably if not plugged in; noticed more so in heat than cold. In warmer months you could hear the fan for the Tesla quite a ways away. Some would comment if the car had a jet engine. Haha

Last month all the airport chargers were full so I had to leave the I-Pace unplugged Sunday afternoon through Wed night. It lost 3 miles of range in total when I returned. Believe temps were mid 40's to 50's while I was away. I was surprised so little since the Tesla would lose a lot more in same conditions. Curious to see how it does when the summer comes around.
Last three trips I had were all 5 to 7 days. I'm in the Orlando area, so the temperatures are not a problem.
No real charge lost while disconnected. Plus I was able to check in after a couple of days with the Remote app. The car was awake enough to connect. No phantom drain with the connectivity either. I'm pretty happy. Have a 2 week trip coming up in about 3 weeks and will see about the longer stays.
Calidave, epirali, ryzvy and 2 others like this.

2019 I-Pace EV400 SE
Firenze Red - Ebony/Ebony
Driver Assist Pack
Black Exterior Pack
20" 5 Spoke Style 5068 Gloss Black Wheels
plus a few extras
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 06:38 PM
EdG

Another I-Pace in Minnesota

@Dantrium - I also live in Minnesota and have been driving my I-Pace First Edition regularly in the same type of cold temperatures and parked in the garage at night and outside during the day. My predicted range with a full charge has bounced from 100 miles to 180 miles but if divide miles driven by battery used, I consistently get 160 - 180 miles. So not too bad but I do look forward to warmer weather and a higher range. Love the car.
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 12:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdG View Post
@Dantrium - I also live in Minnesota and have been driving my I-Pace First Edition regularly in the same type of cold temperatures and parked in the garage at night and outside during the day. My predicted range with a full charge has bounced from 100 miles to 180 miles but if divide miles driven by battery used, I consistently get 160 - 180 miles. So not too bad but I do look forward to warmer weather and a higher range. Love the car.
So your overall average is ~50kWh/100 miles (2 miles/kWh)? How many miles do you have on your car? That is pretty close to what my average was before the cold spell, with predominately in town trips. If I were to take a longer trip on the Interstate (~75mph), it would use more than that. Now that we have had an extended period with below zero & single digit temps, my overall average (4650 miles) is closer to 60kWh/100 miles (1.67 miles/kWh).
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 10:54 AM
EdG

Efficiency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantrium View Post
So your overall average is ~50kWh/100 miles (2 miles/kWh)? How many miles do you have on your car? That is pretty close to what my average was before the cold spell, with predominately in town trips. If I were to take a longer trip on the Interstate (~75mph), it would use more than that. Now that we have had an extended period with below zero & single digit temps, my overall average (4650 miles) is closer to 60kWh/100 miles (1.67 miles/kWh).
I only have 1300 miles on my I-Pace in 3 months (too much travel) but I was in Minnesota for the polar vortex. Overall I have an average efficiency of 48.3 KWH/100 mi. Probably 60% City and 40% Highway driving. I do tend to drive in ECO mode much of the time. I also try to precondition in the garage before the morning commute.
I have JuiceBox 40/I-Pace time of use charging issue (different thread) so it does not always pull from the wall in the morning.
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdG View Post
@Dantrium ....... I do look forward to warmer weather and a higher range. Love the car.
Yes and with my other EVs there was always a sweet spot in the spring and fall where the temperatures were just right to maximize range. In the heat of summer (95+) the BMS tends to limit charge due to heat. Combined with more A/C load the peak of summer also has the range moderated a bit. We will know soon enough.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page