Highway Range & Battery Efficiency - Page 5 - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantrium View Post
There is nothing ‘wrong’ with your car’s energy consumption. I never said there was. I simply registered my surprise at the higher consumption than I would have expected, based on most others’ comments in regards to my own consumption. It surprised me that it didn’t have better performance in those conditions, nothing more, nothing less

It’s goes without saying that 41.4 is better than 45? Not sure what you don’t think I ‘get’. In my experience, an average speed of 45 mph over 140 miles is not normal ‘highway speeds’ over a majority of the drive. You obviously had some very slow speeds to offset the 70+mph 95% majority highway. But that is neither here nor there.

My comment was simply stating I was surprised the energy consumption was that high in mild weather and a sedate average speed. I would expect better performance in milder weather (because pretty much everyone has stated as such).

That is great that you are pleased with that performance and it is in line with your expectations. That really is a good thing for you.

By the way, if you were to achieve that 41.4 over the entire usable capacity of the battery, you should be able to cover about 205 miles. That isn’t bad, but I would hope to be able to do that at sustained highway speeds, in which the average speed for the trip would be closer to 65-70mph. Sounds like the Tesla roadster will be able to do that easily.

Um, not a real significant difference between 196 mi. and 205 mi. total range, unless you have very "fuzzy math." And the new upcoming 2020 Tesla Roadster will be priced at $250k in very limited production, so it's like comparing apples to oranges. I'll pass on that one for now...guessing you will also do the same, lol! Would you also like to compare and discuss the new Rimac C Two as well?

2019 Jaguar I-Pace EV400 HSE
Indus Silver w/ Black Pack Ext & Front Fog Lights
Mars Red Windsor Leather Performance Seats w/ Carbon Fiber Trim,
Ebony Suede Headlining & Illuminated Jaguar Treadplates
22" Style 5069 Wheels
Adaptive Dynamics

Last edited by sflgator; 12-12-2018 at 10:28 PM.
post #42 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciencegeek View Post
Sidebar:

Average speed can be a hugely misleading metric when you're talking about fuel consumption.

That's because consumption per mile goes up with speed. So if I drive at 100mph for an hour and then sit in heavy traffic for another hour my consumption is hugely greater (not quite 4x but probably 2x or more) than if I drive at 50mph for two hours. Same distance, same average speed ... but vastly different consumption.
Likewise when driving on a windy day. Even if you travel in a loop. Going into the headwind hurts far more than the tailwind helps.
post #43 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 11:17 PM

I was told there would be no math.
McRat, sflgator and epirali like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Roll View Post
Likewise when driving on a windy day. Even if you travel in a loop. Going into the headwind hurts far more than the tailwind helps.
Yup. Aero drag is non-linear. Adding 10 mph is worse than losing 10 mph.
Also, a cross wind can be tragic on many modern car bodies. They are wind tunnel optimized for head on airflow. A 30 angle of incidence is like driving a barn though the wind. It can easily double the CdA of a car. The good news is a 90 wind at 10 mph on a 60 mph car is only what? ~10? (tired and guessing). It will still hurt range pretty good though. The effective frontal area increases at the same time the Cd increases, a double whammy, where a headwind is a single whammy.
Dantrium likes this.

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.
post #45 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

One more highway day with my I-Pace and my drive had the following details and conclusions:

130.1 mi. (actual) driven almost ALL highway miles with Adaptive Cruise Control set as usual (so highway speeds varied but tried to maintain approx 75-78mph), normal, Comfort driving mode, A/C and Seat Cooling both ON, & Radio ON. Returned back with supposedly 33% battery remaining - indicating 69 mi. available range, averaging 59mph and 42.2 kWh/100 mi. Interestingly, it seems my range was almost identical to yesterday's (approx 199 mi. today vs. 196 mi. yesterday)...a few miles higher in fact...and that's with A/C and Seat Cooling on.
sciencegeek, epirali and dtgsrq like this.

2019 Jaguar I-Pace EV400 HSE
Indus Silver w/ Black Pack Ext & Front Fog Lights
Mars Red Windsor Leather Performance Seats w/ Carbon Fiber Trim,
Ebony Suede Headlining & Illuminated Jaguar Treadplates
22" Style 5069 Wheels
Adaptive Dynamics

Last edited by sflgator; 12-13-2018 at 01:43 PM.
post #46 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 12:41 PM

sad diego C to Ornage county and back

70 miles to destination, used 95 miles of range with cruise set to 75 and some stoppages averaged 67, gauge showed 230 miles to start, 140 real miles trip, I wound up with 54 miles of range. That tells me the real range at freeway speeds on a 70 DEGREE DAY IS 190 MILES WITH FULL BATTERIES. Not great but close to good enough. Electro
phil, sflgator and dtgsrq like this.

I like Big Putts
post #47 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 04:27 PM

That range exceeds my bladder's, so ... As long as there's a place to stop & top up (less easy to find trying to leave Phoenix, than running around CA).
post #48 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 04:41 PM

After charging at work all week.... I just want to make it through the weekend as often as possible.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page