Highway Range & Battery Efficiency - Page 4 - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

143.3 mi. (almost all highway) driven today in Comfort Mode, Cruise Control On around 77 mph with it adjusting for traffic. A/C OFF (and Cooled/Heated Seats OFF) & windows slightly open to enjoy the nice cool weather (about 68 degrees F and dry) we're having. I had the radio on the entire time. Returned back with 28% remaining battery - approx 53 miles of range left and averaging 41.4 kWh/100 mi. of battery efficiency. So, again, roughly 196 mi. total Max Range driving 95% highway miles. I saw 2 customers in the Miami area today and even if I saw a 3rd customer or ran an errand on the way home, I probably would've been okay without having the need to stop to recharge. Yeah, so the most I would do in a day is about 170 mi., so I'm still good with my I-Pace!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6216.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	809   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6217.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	811  
phil, sciencegeek, epirali and 1 others like this.

2019 Jaguar I-Pace EV400 HSE
Indus Silver w/ Black Pack Ext & Front Fog Lights
Mars Red Windsor Leather Performance Seats w/ Carbon Fiber Trim,
Ebony Suede Headlining & Illuminated Jaguar Treadplates
22" Style 5069 Wheels
Adaptive Dynamics

Last edited by sflgator; 12-12-2018 at 03:50 PM.
post #32 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 04:13 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflgator View Post
143.3 mi. (almost all highway) driven today in Comfort Mode, Cruise Control On around 77 mph with it adjusting for traffic. A/C OFF (and Cooled/Heated Seats OFF) & windows slightly open to enjoy the nice cool weather (about 68 degrees F and dry) we're having. I had the radio on the entire time. Returned back with 28% remaining battery - approx 53 miles of range left and averaging 41.4 kWh/100 mi. of battery efficiency. So, again, roughly 196 mi. total Max Range driving 95% highway miles. I saw 2 customers in the Miami area today and even if I saw a 3rd customer or ran an errand on the way home, I probably would've been okay without having the need to stop to recharge. Yeah, so the most I would do in a day is about 170 mi., so I'm still good with my I-Pace! [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/IMG]
Yikes! I would have expected it to do much better in warm temps and 45mph average speed! If you had a normal average highway speed (60-65mph) you would likely be well over 45kWh/100 miles!
post #33 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantrium View Post
Yikes! I would have expected it to do much better in warm temps and 45mph average speed! If you had a normal average highway speed (60-65mph) you would likely be well over 45kWh/100 miles!

Same as my first long range trip last week...about 190+ mi. max range...which everyone thought is quite acceptable and expected. I was in Comfort Mode (NOT Eco mode) AND I drove some City driving in Miami for about 15 of the 143 mi. today. I suppose I could drive in ECO mode for > 200 mi. max range on the highway but why bother if I drive < 170 mi. in a day and my EV gets 190+ mi. max range in normal, Comfort mode? I think the 45mph average was because of traffic and Dynamic Cruise Control adjusting for cars in front of me and the ~ 15 mi. of city driving at 25-45 mph. I typically drive normal highway speeds as the speed limits here in South Florida are usually 65-70mph. Also - what's wrong with my battery efficiency at 41.4 kWh/100 mi.? It's better than 45 kWh/100mi...it was typical highway driving with some traffic, so the speeds vary a bit. What don't you get about that?

Not understanding your point and concern; it's confirming the 190+ mi. max range for Highway in a warm climate VS. your 140-150 mi. range in an Arctic-like climate of MN & ND. That is a place I wouldn't even think of driving a limited range EV (if often driving 100+ mi. in 1 day) until the technology of upcoming EVs allows for a 350-400+ mi. max range on a full battery.
epirali likes this.

2019 Jaguar I-Pace EV400 HSE
Indus Silver w/ Black Pack Ext & Front Fog Lights
Mars Red Windsor Leather Performance Seats w/ Carbon Fiber Trim,
Ebony Suede Headlining & Illuminated Jaguar Treadplates
22" Style 5069 Wheels
Adaptive Dynamics

Last edited by sflgator; 12-12-2018 at 05:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 06:12 PM

The range game will never end, even when capacity increases range to 400 someone will need more. That's a simple truth. But a lot of studies have shown that vast majority of people do not drive more than 70 miles per day. I know this varies wildly by region, but when you start hitting around 150-200 miles you have covered a lot of peoples need for daily use.
sciencegeek, wilco and sflgator like this.
post #35 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epirali View Post
The range game will never end, even when capacity increases range to 400 someone will need more.
I think it does end, when recharging is fast (or continuous). Non-electric car owners don't worry much at all about range. There's a reason for that - they can always fill up the tank in 5 minutes when they need to.

Let's not hold our breath while we wait for this...
post #36 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil View Post
I think it does end, when recharging is fast (or continuous). Non-electric car owners don't worry much at all about range. There's a reason for that - they can always fill up the tank in 5 minutes when they need to.

Let's not hold our breath while we wait for this...
Actually it already exists, hydrogen fuel cells are just that, fill up electric range in 5 min. It’s what most of Europe is putting infrastructure towards. Batteries are an interim fix. Musk is the only naysayer and he has obvious conflict of interest.
phil likes this.
post #37 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epirali View Post
Actually it already exists, hydrogen fuel cells are just that, fill up electric range in 5 min. It’s what most of Europe is putting infrastructure towards. Batteries are an interim fix. Musk is the only naysayer and he has obvious conflict of interest.
Hydrogen FCEVs still have the same problems it had 20 years ago. It's heavy, expensive, still requires a battery, the cheapest way to make fuel is from fossil fuel in a process that releases tons of CO2.
The Lithium battery killed the FCEV. Some companies are so invested in it that they are going to build obsolete FCEV for several more years.
General Motors holds most the valuable IP in the Fuel Cell technology. That's why Honda and the DoD went to GM for their FCEV projects.
But if GM could make a retail FCEV that somebody would buy, it would be on the road. The military one is sweet.

https://www.triplepundit.com/2017/10...-help-us-army/

https://www.army.mil/article/181342/...l_cell_vehicle
phil and sciencegeek like this.

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.

Last edited by McRat; 12-12-2018 at 07:32 PM.
post #38 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 07:53 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflgator View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantrium View Post

Same as my first long range trip last week...about 190+ mi. max range...which everyone thought is quite acceptable and expected. I was in Comfort Mode (NOT Eco mode) AND I drove some City driving in Miami for about 15 of the 143 mi. today. I suppose I could drive in ECO mode for > 200 mi. max range on the highway but why bother if I drive < 170 mi. in a day and my EV gets 190+ mi. max range in normal, Comfort mode? I think the 45mph average was because of traffic and Dynamic Cruise Control adjusting for cars in front of me and the ~ 15 mi. of city driving at 25-45 mph. I typically drive normal highway speeds as the speed limits here in South Florida are usually 65-70mph. Also - what's wrong with my battery efficiency at 41.4 kWh/100 mi.? It's better than 45 kWh/100mi...it was typical highway driving with some traffic, so the speeds vary a bit. What don't you get about that?

Not understanding your point and concern; it's confirming the 190+ mi. max range for Highway in a warm climate VS. your 140-150 mi. range in an Arctic-like climate of MN & ND. That is a place I wouldn't even think of driving a limited range EV (if often driving 100+ mi. in 1 day) until the technology of upcoming EVs allows for a 350-400+ mi. max range on a full battery. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/IMG]
There is nothing ‘wrong’ with your car’s energy consumption. I never said there was. I simply registered my surprise at the higher consumption than I would have expected, based on most others’ comments in regards to my own consumption. It surprised me that it didn’t have better performance in those conditions, nothing more, nothing less

It’s goes without saying that 41.4 is better than 45? Not sure what you don’t think I ‘get’. In my experience, an average speed of 45 mph over 140 miles is not normal ‘highway speeds’ over a majority of the drive. You obviously had some very slow speeds to offset the 70+mph 95% majority highway. But that is neither here nor there.

My comment was simply stating I was surprised the energy consumption was that high in mild weather and a sedate average speed. I would expect better performance in milder weather (because pretty much everyone has stated as such).

That is great that you are pleased with that performance and it is in line with your expectations. That really is a good thing for you.

By the way, if you were to achieve that 41.4 over the entire usable capacity of the battery, you should be able to cover about 205 miles. That isn’t bad, but I would hope to be able to do that at sustained highway speeds, in which the average speed for the trip would be closer to 65-70mph. Sounds like the Tesla roadster will be able to do that easily.
post #39 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 08:20 PM
Super Moderator

Sidebar:

Average speed can be a hugely misleading metric when you're talking about fuel consumption.

That's because consumption per mile goes up with speed. So if I drive at 100mph for an hour and then sit in heavy traffic for another hour my consumption is hugely greater (not quite 4x but probably 2x or more) than if I drive at 50mph for two hours. Same distance, same average speed ... but vastly different consumption.
phil and WattAJag like this.
post #40 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 08:37 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciencegeek View Post
Sidebar:

Average speed can be a hugely misleading metric when you're talking about fuel consumption.

That's because consumption per mile goes up with speed. So if I drive at 100mph for an hour and then sit in heavy traffic for another hour my consumption is hugely greater (not quite 4x but probably 2x or more) than if I drive at 50mph for two hours. Same distance, same average speed ... but vastly different consumption.
True dat...

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page