LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator

Hey SoCal boy, speak for yourself!
post #22 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciencegeek View Post
Hey SoCal boy, speak for yourself!
One of my favorite activities is autocrossing in the rain. I love drifting. Knock on wood, I've yet to have an accident in the rain, even on motorcycles.
But I've witnessed the carnage we have every time it rains here. People don't realize their traction is reduced, nor how to control a slide.

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.

Last edited by McRat; 12-06-2018 at 07:40 PM.
post #23 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Roll View Post
Amazing how aware we become of our energy usage and the related fluctuations in an electric vehicle.
I still call normal. Just drive.

I mean unless you make the exact same drive every day in the same wind and temperature and traffic and a hundred other conditions the usage is just not going to be the same.
Some days will surprise to upside and others to the down. in a few months you will find a normal baseline and better relate to the fluctuating data.

UPDATE: Charged my I-Pace to 100% and still read 218 mi. total estimated max range again, so I did the Battery Est. Max Range Counter Reset thing (accessory power on without turning on the vehicle and stomped on both the accelerator & brake for 20 sec) and voila...it now reads 100% charge AND estimated 287 mi. range, lol!

2019 Jaguar I-Pace EV400 HSE
Indus Silver w/ Black Pack Ext & Front Fog Lights
Mars Red Windsor Leather Performance Seats w/ Carbon Fiber Trim,
Ebony Suede Headlining & Illuminated Jaguar Treadplates
22" Style 5069 Wheels
Adaptive Dynamics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Roll View Post
Amazing how aware we become of our energy usage and the related fluctuations in an electric vehicle.
Amazing? I find it not the least bit surprising.
post #25 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRat View Post
It was pouring rain, and I climbed 2400', 50-57F outside with the heater on, normal mode, headlights, stereo, wipers, gentle driving, no faster than 65 mph, and my range would be about 201 miles according to Guess-o-Meter, but when I do the math for 67 miles using 28% of the charge, that says 239 miles.
I wonder which one is right?
Either answer seems pretty respectable for those conditions.
post #26 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 04:23 PM

Yesterday I took my car to the airport, where it sits and charges while away in TX. It was the longest trip I took so far and wanted to evaluate range and efficiency. I've owned for a month as of tomorrow and have been feeling the estimated max range displayed has been on the lower side and that efficiency isn't that great. So I decide to document this trip and open to you guys for thoughts.

I set the preconditioning, but not 100% if it worked or not; I really don't know much about it or how it works. Within the car I turned it on, selected the day and time for departure and that's pretty much it.

Estimated range at 100% charge 210 miles
Weather sunny no winds 54 degrees
Trip fairly flat roads mainly highway
Drove in comfort mode for about 10 mins then switched to eco mode
No aggressive driving
Did no use heater, ac, steering assist. Only used radio
Estimated range upon arrival 137 miles
Actual miles driven 54.7
Car used 73 miles

I noticed the driving style stats from within the car differ from the stats show under journeys on the mobile app; curious why. Also noticed that although the car displayed an estimated 137 miles remaining the battery meter icon showed I only used a 1/4 of the battery. But if I used a quarter, if my math is right, I should show 157.5 miles based on 210 max range. So if I really used a quarter maybe my max range should have shown 289? I don't know, still not sure how its calculating that and have felt the displayed lower 200 range for max range is off based on my driving style, weather, and not really using the heater or ac. I was able to park at a charger and the car charged to max before I got to TX and it now shows max estimated range of 206.

I attached screenshots below. What you guys think?

Also, sorry in advance that the pics are showing sideways, I don't know why its doing that when I upload.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181209_113609.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	239.2 KB
ID:	793   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181209_104330.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	170.4 KB
ID:	795   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181209_113617.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	176.5 KB
ID:	797   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20181210-114643.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	799  
post #27 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 06:57 PM
Guy

I do not think battery depletion is linear. At 100% the voltage is actually at the max but goes down gradually as the battery discharge. So with a lower SOC, as the voltage is less, the car will pull more amps for the same work. Maybe the Guess O meter consider this when it estimates range?

Does my theory makes any sense?
post #28 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedorachef View Post
Yesterday I took my car to the airport, where it sits and charges while away in TX. It was the longest trip I took so far and wanted to evaluate range and efficiency. I've owned for a month as of tomorrow and have been feeling the estimated max range displayed has been on the lower side and that efficiency isn't that great. So I decide to document this trip and open to you guys for thoughts.

I set the preconditioning, but not 100% if it worked or not; I really don't know much about it or how it works. Within the car I turned it on, selected the day and time for departure and that's pretty much it.

Estimated range at 100% charge 210 miles
Weather sunny no winds 54 degrees
Trip fairly flat roads mainly highway
Drove in comfort mode for about 10 mins then switched to eco mode
No aggressive driving
Did no use heater, ac, steering assist. Only used radio
Estimated range upon arrival 137 miles
Actual miles driven 54.7
Car used 73 miles

I noticed the driving style stats from within the car differ from the stats show under journeys on the mobile app; curious why. Also noticed that although the car displayed an estimated 137 miles remaining the battery meter icon showed I only used a 1/4 of the battery. But if I used a quarter, if my math is right, I should show 157.5 miles based on 210 max range. So if I really used a quarter maybe my max range should have shown 289? I don't know, still not sure how its calculating that and have felt the displayed lower 200 range for max range is off based on my driving style, weather, and not really using the heater or ac. I was able to park at a charger and the car charged to max before I got to TX and it now shows max estimated range of 206.

I attached screenshots below. What you guys think?

Also, sorry in advance that the pics are showing sideways, I don't know why its doing that when I upload.
What was your average speed? Your display shows 63 mph so I am guessing with start and stop you were averaging over 70 mph and maybe even 80 for some parts. Interesting that you display shows 52 min elapsed but the journeys shows elapsed 61 min. Probably why some of the data is different. It might be that some of the time once you got there was spent with the car on and represents the additional 9 minutes. In other words, the range estimate is probably correct if you were going as fast as I guess you were. Remember drag is not linear and max range goes down exponentially as a function of drag caused by speed.
post #29 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 07:23 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
yes it does. ideally the GoM will try to model that (and it probably does so, for purposes of giving you an approximately correct SoC), but there are too many user- and environment-driven variables that the GoM cannot know, and so the predictions are sometimes way off and sometimes spot on.

Last edited by sciencegeek; 12-10-2018 at 07:30 PM.
post #30 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
I do not think battery depletion is linear. At 100% the voltage is actually at the max but goes down gradually as the battery discharge. So with a lower SOC, as the voltage is less, the car will pull more amps for the same work. Maybe the Guess O meter consider this when it estimates range?

Engineers are well aware of this. There will also be an energy meter that tracks all watt/hours transferred in/out of the battery.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page