Speed and economy - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By Dantrium
  • 2 Post By Guy
  • 1 Post By Dantrium
  • 1 Post By NerdUno
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 05:23 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 766
Speed and economy

After reading someone had indicated Bjorn said the optimal speed for the I-Pace was 80MPH, I did a little test.

I drove 26.7 miles with the cruise set at 80mph. Then I drove the exact same section of the road back with the cruise set at 70mph. I had been driving the car around town for about 30 minutes beforehand, coming directly of a L2 charger, so it should have been at a good operating temperature. Roads were a little wet from melting snow, no significant wind and the temp was 31 F. The first/last 2 miles of the route the speed limit was 55, so that lowered the average speed a little, but it was done the exact same way on both runs. Climate is set on smart climate, auto (which activated the AC), temp set at 67. Heated seats on setting 1.

80mph: 60.9 kWh/100miles
70mph: 48.1kWh/100miles
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4A5E4073-85BA-4D0A-B15E-25EDF2B7D8A2_1543573374422.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	697   Click image for larger version

Name:	D8FD0A29-C823-4BD5-8105-D9D0FBDDC416_1543573405913.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	699  
NerdUno likes this.
Dantrium is online now  
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 06:07 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 648
Great info thanks. The efficiency really is Simone air drag if alleles is held stable, so basically slower you go the more range you will get. The air drag rises geometrically around 60 mph. So your results are in line.

From experience I know my range starts going down significantly once I cross 60 mph.
epirali is online now  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 06:32 AM
Guy
Senior Member
 
Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Quebec City
Posts: 146
Optimal speed at 80 mph includes stops at fast chargers. His point is it is faster to go from point A to point B doing 80 mph, charging more often, starting the charge at a lower SOC giving a faster charging speed. Obviously more consumption at 80 than 70.
phil and wilco like this.
Guy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 07:07 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Optimal speed at 80 mph includes stops at fast chargers. His point is it is faster to go from point A to point B doing 80 mph, charging more often, starting the charge at a lower SOC giving a faster charging speed. Obviously more consumption at 80 than 70.
Ok that gives it context, may be more time efficient. Sorry wasnt clear from OPs post.

Id have to do the math but Id assume in terms of time the faster you can go from fast charger to fast charger in the 80-20% fast charge range the less time the trip would take (assuming fast chargers are plentiful). Even at max speed the rate of depletion is less than rate of fast charge. So Im not clear why 80 is a magic number.

Now there is the matter of the speeding tickets...
epirali is online now  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 07:59 AM
Guy
Senior Member
 
Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Quebec City
Posts: 146
Well it also depends on the actual route you are taking and the number and location of fast chargers along the way. It also depends if those fast charger can charge at 50, 80, 100 or 120 kW, assuming of course the software to allow up to 120 kW charging is loaded on the car and functionning.

A lot of if...
Guy is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 08:28 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Optimal speed at 80 mph includes stops at fast chargers. His point is it is faster to go from point A to point B doing 80 mph, charging more often, starting the charge at a lower SOC giving a faster charging speed. Obviously more consumption at 80 than 70.
I hadn’t watched the actual video, so I didn’t consider he was stating trip efficiency improves with more frequent charging and higher speeds. I have to assume his car was not enabled to allow 100kW charging. Having 100Kw chargers should make it even more time efficiency.

Of course in a land of DC chargers spread far and wide, it doesn’t help me. My closest DC charger is 193 miles away and this is what the view is outside my windshield.

BTW - no speeding tickets at 80mph in ND, SD and IA. 75mph is a safe speed in MN
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E30391C3-17F6-4CB3-ADE5-BAF78368D8A2_1543583729353.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	705  
Dantrium is online now  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 08:47 AM
Senior Member
 
sflgator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: South Florida, USA
Posts: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantrium View Post
I hadn’t watched the actual video, so I didn’t consider he was stating trip efficiency improves with more frequent charging and higher speeds. I have to assume his car was not enabled to allow 100kW charging. Having 100Kw chargers should make it even more time efficiency.

Of course in a land of DC chargers spread far and wide, it doesn’t help me. My closest DC charger is 193 miles away and this is what the view is outside my windshield.

BTW - no speeding tickets at 80mph in ND, SD and IA. 75mph is a safe speed in MN
Good test on the speed on cruise control and battery efficiency. Thank you!

I guess that part of MN is probably not a good place to drive an EV. Minn/St. Paul might be better I suppose; more urban and maybe more DC Fast Chargers around? Not that we have that many DC Fast Chargers around, but there's at least a dozen of them within 60 miles of my house and more even further away in Florida (although there's probably 200+ of the Tesla Superchargers around the immediate South Florida area). If you're driving > 150-200 mi. on most days with your EV and you're nearest Fast Charger is 193 mi. away, an EV with a 400+ mi. range would be wise although one like that doesn't exist yet. Not yet anyhow...soon.

2019 Jaguar I-Pace EV400 HSE
Indus Silver w/ Black Pack Ext & Front Fog Lights
Mars Red Windsor Leather Performance Seats w/ Carbon Fiber Trim,
Ebony Suede Headlining & Illuminated Jaguar Treadplates
22" Style 5069 Wheels
Adaptive Dynamics

Last edited by sflgator; 11-30-2018 at 08:52 AM.
sflgator is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflgator View Post
Good test on the speed on cruise control and battery efficiency. Thank you!

I guess that part of MN is probably not a good place to drive an EV. Minn/St. Paul might be better I suppose; more urban and maybe more DC Fast Chargers around? Not that we have that many DC Fast Chargers around, but there's at least a dozen of them within 60 miles of my house and more even further away in Florida (although there's probably 200+ of the Tesla Superchargers around the immediate South Florida area). If you're driving > 150-200 mi. on most days with your EV and you're nearest Fast Charger is 193 mi. away, an EV with a 400+ mi. range would be wise although one like that doesn't exist yet. Not yet anyhow...soon.
I don't drive 150-200 miles most days, but 2-3 times a month I do go to the Cities. So most days of the month, the car will work out OK.

Also, to clarify, lest someone looks at the PlugShare map & think I'm daft. They opened a 50kW DC charger 2 miles from house on 14 Nov 18. There is also a 50kW DC charger at the college in Morris (about 113 miles from me). Unfortunately that is a little town 'off the beaten path'. If I wanted to drive my car to Minn/St. Paul (known by all in this area as the 'Cities'), going to Morris would require a 45 minute detour off the interstate and back on to it. I did use that charger on my way home from picking up the car. Had I not did that I would have had to use the L2 in Alexandria (a 16A setup) and would have added several more hours to what ended up being a 24 hour jaunt from Des Moines to Moorhead. The one at 193 miles is right on the Interstate (this is how I convinced myself a reliable 200 mile range would be palatable). There is a Tesla SC setup (I think 8 chargers) at about 171 miles. DC Chargers were also supposed to open in Fergus Falls (~50 miles) and Alexandria (~103 miles) this year. Unfortunately I discovered there are delays with both those stations and now they may not be ready until summer or later :-(. The Chevy dealer in Fergus Falls is reported to have a 25kW unit, but not for public use. I would imagine if someone showed up on their doorstep in desperate need they wouldn't turn them away.
sflgator likes this.
Dantrium is online now  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 10:14 AM
Senior Member
 
NerdUno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 110
Translating kWh into actual miles, we're finding that the maximum range is about 211 miles assuming 60 MPH on flat roads with temps between 30 and 50 degrees Fahrenheit. After traveling 120+ miles several times under these conditions, our remaining battery was 90 each time which was within 1 mile of the vehicle's original 211 "full" estimate.
WattAJag likes this.
NerdUno is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
range as function of speed sciencegeek 2018+ I-Pace EV Range, MPGE And Economy 5 09-13-2018 11:10 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome