Actual data covering the first 637 miles of ownership - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 5Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 802
Actual data covering the first 637 miles of ownership

Well not quite as I didn’t turn on Journeys until 128 miles into my trip. The temps have been primarily in the low 20’s F. I don’t believe it has gotten above freezing and the one morning it was 7 F.

I tried to attach the actual excel spreadsheet, but couldn’t do that on my phone, so this is a picture. I hope it is readable. This car seems to have horrible ‘fuel’ economy...

It would be nice if others could share their experience. Is mine a one-off or is it ‘normal’?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DCF20FDC-F1D9-4A81-A97E-EFAE17068CA6_1542296899254.jpeg
Views:	166
Size:	741.4 KB
ID:	583  
Administrator likes this.
Dantrium is online now  
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 11:02 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: So Calif
Posts: 373
In mild conditions you would expect 44 kWh per 100 miles. So the extra 11 kWh does not seem that bad in sub-freezing temperatures.
Maybe getting just 50 or 60 mpg equivalent instead of the EPA 76.

Compare that to 20 mpg for an F-Pace. Ok maybe a Tesla would do a little better but still going to consume more energy in the cold.

Really gives some perspective on how much energy is actually consumed by transportation.

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find...40986&id=40214
Time2Roll is online now  
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 11:05 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 676
Thank you for posting this, others hopefully will add their data here too. But as others have said 50% loss of range in extreme cold is not unusual. Check out this thread about the same thing with Teslas.

https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forum...her-range-loss
epirali is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 802
Quote:
Originally Posted by epirali View Post
Thank you for posting this, others hopefully will add their data here too. But as others have said 50% loss of range in extreme cold is not unusual. Check out this thread about the same thing with Teslas.

https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forum...her-range-loss
This is normal cold. Extreme cold comes in about 6-8 weeks when we head past zero for an extended visit...
Dantrium is online now  
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Roll View Post
In mild conditions you would expect 44 kWh per 100 miles. So the extra 11 kWh does not seem that bad in sub-freezing temperatures.
Maybe getting just 50 or 60 mpg equivalent instead of the EPA 76.

Compare that to 20 mpg for an F-Pace. Ok maybe a Tesla would do a little better but still going to consume more energy in the cold.

Really gives some perspective on how much energy is actually consumed by transportation.

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find...40986&id=40214
I don’t understand the math on this. How could one achieve 220 miles or so using 44kWh/100?
Dantrium is online now  
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 01:59 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: California
Posts: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantrium View Post
This is normal cold. Extreme cold comes in about 6-8 weeks when we head past zero for an extended visit...
I expect your fuel efficiency will be even lower then. A lot lower.

But it should be much better in the summer.
phil is offline  
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 02:54 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 55
Were you pre-conditioning the car for these trips?
gbillcb is offline  
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 802
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbillcb View Post
Were you pre-conditioning the car for these trips?
Yes...or maybe I should say ‘I think so’. I always set a ‘departure time’ in the app. I know there is a ‘preconditioning’ button on the touch screen, but was told setting a departure time does that
Dantrium is online now  
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 06:07 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: So Calif
Posts: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantrium View Post
I don’t understand the math on this. How could one achieve 220 miles or so using 44kWh/100?
I agree that does not add up very well. Possibly EPA number is from the wall for energy input and your data is usage by the vehicles systems.
The difference being energy losses in the charger and the charging process. Data may not be comparable to the EPA for that reason and makes your additional energy usage even greater.

Usable battery is about 85 kWh so energy to drive 234 miles would be closer to 36 kWh per 100 miles.
That points to an additional 20 kWh per 100 miles in the cold.

Or could be something else.
Time2Roll is online now  
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 07:19 PM
Senior Member
 
sciencegeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Palo Alto
Posts: 1,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Roll View Post
Usable battery is about 85 kWh so energy to drive 234 miles would be closer to 36 kWh per 100 miles.
That points to an additional 20 kWh per 100 miles in the cold.
Sounds about right. When it's cold here (as in just barely freezing) my range on the etron drops precipitously and even more so when I turn on the heater.
sciencegeek is online now  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome