Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

Actual data covering the first 637 miles of ownership

8K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  WattAJag 
#1 ·
Well not quite as I didn’t turn on Journeys until 128 miles into my trip. The temps have been primarily in the low 20’s F. I don’t believe it has gotten above freezing and the one morning it was 7 F.

I tried to attach the actual excel spreadsheet, but couldn’t do that on my phone, so this is a picture. I hope it is readable. This car seems to have horrible ‘fuel’ economy...

It would be nice if others could share their experience. Is mine a one-off or is it ‘normal’?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
In mild conditions you would expect 44 kWh per 100 miles. So the extra 11 kWh does not seem that bad in sub-freezing temperatures.
Maybe getting just 50 or 60 mpg equivalent instead of the EPA 76.

Compare that to 20 mpg for an F-Pace. Ok maybe a Tesla would do a little better but still going to consume more energy in the cold.

Really gives some perspective on how much energy is actually consumed by transportation.

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=40986&id=40214

#5 ·
In mild conditions you would expect 44 kWh per 100 miles. So the extra 11 kWh does not seem that bad in sub-freezing temperatures.
Maybe getting just 50 or 60 mpg equivalent instead of the EPA 76.

Compare that to 20 mpg for an F-Pace. Ok maybe a Tesla would do a little better but still going to consume more energy in the cold.

Really gives some perspective on how much energy is actually consumed by transportation.

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=40986&id=40214
I don’t understand the math on this. How could one achieve 220 miles or so using 44kWh/100?

#11 ·
I built a spreadsheet that will automatically pull in a TRIPS.CSV file (created by your Jaguar In-Control Remote app) and add the new trips to a log. It will use a table of average temperatures and the month/hour of day to estimate temps and average speed >40 means Hwy and otherwise City driving. You can filter times of year of temp/speed ranges or City vs. Hwy and see the results. I'd be happy to share (use at your own risk). But, I will periodically post my results here. I live where it's mild to very hot (Phoenix). So, your experience might vary. But, this sheet computes the "expected range" I should look to get - especially City vs. Hwy. That's a cool number to know.

I've only had the car for 2 days, so based on my limited data so far:

Attachments

#12 ·
Efficiency observation

Hi there, first time poster, soon to have my i-Pace delivered, but here's an observation from a long-time EV (Volt) owner based on the trip log you posted:

You have many many trips in a single day that are only a few minutes long. (Do you deliver pizzas? :smile2:) The interior heater of the car uses a lot of battery power to heat the cabin, and on these very short trips, the heather is probably going at close to 100% power before you arrive at your destination. When you open the door, a lot of that heat spills out and the interior becomes cold again until the start of your next trip, which means the heater has to start all over again.

You can see that on all your short trips (< 10 mins) the kWh/100 mi efficiency is the worst. On your longer drives, the heat is retained, allowing the cabin heater to taper off and draw less power, resulting in better efficiency. In fact, it seems mostly true for your data that the longer your travel time, the more efficient your battery can be. This all makes sense in this light.

If you are brave to test this idea that it is your cabin heater causing the inefficiency, then try a few multiple short trip days with NO cabin heat. You can use the seat heater which helps a lot without using much power. Yes, you will be cold, but that is the price of the experiment! Depending on the outside temperature which may require battery conditioning regardless of cabin heat, my prediction is that your efficiency will immediately be much much higher.

Moral of the story: in winter, minimize cabin heat to the extent you are comfortable, and maximize heated seats. :grin2: In the summer, the story will be similar that you can get better range with no A/C, but the difference is not as significant since the A/C draws much less power than the heater. You spent a lot of money for the car, so be comfortable, but every bit of comfort has an impact!

I suspect many other posters on this forum don't make as many short trips as you every day in a cold climate, which may be why they aren't responding with the same conclusions as you.

#13 ·
I wound up running a bunch of errands - looking for stuff for the new car (partly). Where I live, I'm not running the heat at all, and only the AC a little. Today is the first day with a high below 70. Usually, in EV's doing seat heat and turning off the fan heater is more efficient for those in the cold. Not sure with the I-pace and all it's heat pumps whether that's as true.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.