Autocar : the effect of driving style on range - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

Autocar : the effect of driving style on range

Autocar check out what effect driving style has on range, using a pair of I-Paces.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/f...electric-range
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 12:13 PM

Pretty interesting, somewhat reassuring, and confirming the predicted 200 mile range with 'normal' driving
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciencegeek View Post
Pretty interesting, somewhat reassuring, and confirming the predicted 200 mile range with 'normal' driving
Here's something I've been thinking about, mainly because I live in Colorado and will be driving my I Pace at elevations above 6,000 feet: I should get better range than I would at sea level, right? Unlike an ICE, an EV should not, in theory, see a decrease in efficiency due to lower air pressure. However, there should be significant gains vis a vis reduced drag (but only really accruing at highway speeds). Does anyone have any insight on this? I'm having trouble finding published real-world experience with EVs at altitude.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotesMagotes View Post
Here's something I've been thinking about, mainly because I live in Colorado and will be driving my I Pace at elevations above 6,000 feet: I should get better range than I would at sea level, right? Unlike an ICE, an EV should not, in theory, see a decrease in efficiency due to lower air pressure. However, there should be significant gains vis a vis reduced drag (but only really accruing at highway speeds). Does anyone have any insight on this? I'm having trouble finding published real-world experience with EVs at altitude.
Yes, the lighter should lessen aerodynamic drag, and no penalty on motor / engine power/efficiency like a naturally aspirated combustion engine experiences.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 08:34 PM
Guy

This is why airplanes fly above 30,000 feet. Less airdrag.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
This is why airplanes fly above 30,000 feet. Less airdrag.
Yes, Exactly, but in an airplane, the wings also lose lift forcing higher speeds to avoid stall, and the engines lose thrust with thinner air to breathe. In some airplanes at higher altitudes the cruise speed / stall speed window gets pretty tight.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 11:08 PM

I'm not an aerodynamicist but it would stand to reason that drag is linear with air density; density at sea level is 0.075 lbs/cubic foot, at 6000 ft it's 0.060. So that would seem to be a nice 20% less drag in Denver compared to Palo Alto, probably translating to some nice range extension, perhaps 10%ish depending on speed (more at higher speeds).
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 05:56 PM

Thanks everyone. Since we agree, we're either all correct or we're all incorrect. Once I get the car, I'll see if I can gather some data to confirm this theory.
sciencegeek likes this.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 08:08 PM

So the Red car that was driven modestly traveled 239 miles on a single charge. And the Blue car that was driven "dynamically" traveled 208 miles on a single charge. Which means the Jaguar published estimate range of 234 miles (currently on Jaguar USA site) is correct. Am I missing something?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 08:24 PM

No not missing. That's exactly right. If you drive it like you want to drive a sporty car then you have a 200 mile range. If you're simulating driving a Prius you have a 240 mile range (or maybe more, heck!)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page