REAL WORLD Range Test - BEVs including Pre-production I-Pace - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

REAL WORLD Range Test - BEVs including Pre-production I-Pace

So according to the test the pre-production I-Pace is off by 65% from the WLTP range of 480 Km (298 miles), achieving an average of 307 Km (191 miles).

TeslaOwner likes this.
post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 09:34 PM

Here's another perspective on range: https://www.motortrend.com/cars/jagu...-electric-jag/
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 10:35 PM
Super Moderator

Quick response to the Motor Trend article (I will watch the video next)

Overall I'm always blown away by the unfettered enthusiasm .. the only issue ever is the charging infrastructure, which will improve so dramatically over the next three years that it will not be an issue.

If the car is *that* good I don't mind researching the route and possibly waiting 1.5hrs for a charge.

I now have 10 youtube videos bookmarked, all relentlessly enthusiastic. 8 written reviews, same. This car/suv/crossover/? is a game changer and I'm so totally stoked to have ordered one!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 01:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calidave View Post
Here's another perspective on range: https://www.motortrend.com/cars/jagu...-electric-jag/
Yep. I shared that piece together with another longer term review by Wired UK. The motor trend piece did not say much about range and accuracy of range. It's more about the challenges of finding quick enough chargers along the way.
https://www.i-paceforum.com/forum/31...mile-trip.html

Last edited by bruintoo; 08-04-2018 at 01:22 AM.
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 11:38 AM

Here's another: https://www.detroitnews.com/story/op...ace/860251002/

"Fuel economy: 240-mile range (189 miles on battery to cover 140 miles, observed)."
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 02:13 PM

I have both a 'Want one' reservation in for an I-Pace and a $1000 'deposit' on the Tesla M3 so I'm following this with interest.

Some thoughts....Tesla does a lot of stuff on the fly and uses early adopters as beta testers (much to the disgust of the auto crowd) We keep hearing that 'real motor' companies will test all Beta stuff before bringing a car to production - hence the endless testing and mules/camouflaged cars seen haunting the roads prior to release. Ditto the I-Pace.....

But it seems that Jaguar is so determined to beat Audi and Mercedes to market with an EV SUV that they have rushed the I-Pace a bit prematurely into 'production' - not withstanding the delays due to the headlights (Huh?!)

I'm fairly sure that the range issues with the I-Pace are not terminal or indefinite and are most probably software related. Even the Jaguar engineers seem to be calling aspects of the I-Pace "Beta"...!!!

There is some irony in here surely?
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator

Tesla has a massive first mover advantage in:
Software
Battery
Motors

Traditional manufacturers know how to build cars:
Interior design
Materials
Fit and finish
and I would argue UI as well (still scratching my head about the Model 3, the Tablet on Wheels)

Early iPace adopters will mostly be (involuntarily) beta-testing software (which can be updated) and motor and battery (keeping fingers crossed that those components don't have design flaws ...)

Tesla owners beta-tested basically everything: software, drivetrain, battery, sensors, interior, exterior ...

I don't have any illusions on range; it will likely be less than 240 US miles for most people. Software updates will tweak it around the edges; but in the end your range will depend on how fast you drive on the freeway and whether you use the one-pedal mode around town. It's basic physics ...
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 09:26 AM

I'm only 1:38 in and the i3 makes me want to pour bleach in my eyes.

Does anyone else find it stupid we need a 'real world' range test? Should't the 'test' BE real world?
If the test is broken, don't add another test. FIX THE TEST.

His: 2013 Tesla Model S - Sold 06/2018. Looking for an EV-SUV
Hers: 2018 Tesla Model 3
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 09:41 AM

TLRD:
iPace: 307-319 km = 192 miles.

His: 2013 Tesla Model S - Sold 06/2018. Looking for an EV-SUV
Hers: 2018 Tesla Model 3
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

Comparison to the new WLTP Standard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl View Post
I'm only 1:38 in and the i3 makes me want to pour bleach in my eyes.

Does anyone else find it stupid we need a 'real world' range test? Should't the 'test' BE real world?
If the test is broken, don't add another test. FIX THE TEST.
They did say at the onset that the purpose to the test is to find out how close to the new WLTP standard ranges are the actual driving ranges. Some cars are over and some cars, like the I-Pace, are way off. The caveat being that the Jaguar is a pre-production model and is still tweaking the software.
TeslaOwner likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page