Front plate mounting - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Front plate mounting

I only have to put up with a front license plate until 1 July 2020. Selling dealer in another state did not install the front plate mount, thankfully, but did include it in the car.

If you don't know what it is like, two long posts along the bottom edge get inserted between slats of the lower front grill and two screws in them expand the ends of post to retain them. There are holes along the top of the mount for screws to go into the bumper cover. Notches on the side edges are supposed to fit the top of the lower grill but they needed to be "enhanced" to get the plate mount to properly flush mount to the bumper skin. I'm not impressed. Screws for a license plate might also dig into if not screw into the skin too.

I temporarily mounted it only with the bottom posts and screws. I also applied electrical tape on the bumper wherever there is contact with the mount. This would prevent vibration wear on the bumper and easier to remove. The upper plate screws were shortened to ensure no damage to the bumper.

This was only temporary. From now until 1 July 2020, I am using a mount from cravenspeed.com. It has a post that screws into the front towing eye in location. A bolt holds the plate bracket to it and then screws mount the license plate to the mount plate. No contact is made with the bumper skin. The kit cost $93 shipped via USPS Priority Mail.

Removing the cover for that hole is as simple as pushing the bottom area of the cover enough to be able to get a sturdy thumbnail, or other non-marring tool, into the hole gap at the top. Pull out the top and then maneuver the cover out. There's a small retaining tab at about 11 o'clock, a broad retaining tab at 4-5 o'clock and a retaining strap at 7 o'clock.

Screw in the post (counter-clockwise) into the towing eye location and tighten with a wrench. Screw in the mount plate screw a bit then slide the mount plate on. Tighten the plate screw. Don't forget to use a small level on the stop edge to ensure it is level and will look good. Mount the license.

If you want to use a frame around the edge of the plate, you'll need longer 1/4-20 screws (either 1/2 or 3/4 inch length depending on thickness of frame). The kit supplies 1/4 inch length screws.

This does block the right side park sensor near the grill. The kit comes with "pads" that are meant to be applied (yes sticky backed) to the sensor to prevent alarms. Sure enough without any pad the car screamed an alarm as one starts to drive, but it does stop after the car get going faster than parking speeds. It took layering/stacking 3 of the pads onto the sensor to stop this.

You might consider stowing cheap tools in the frunk in case you need to remove it and actually use the towing eye.

I'm not associated with the company in any way. I'm just posting this for information.
Mister Dave and epirali like this.
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 10:51 PM

Wow that's a PITA .. I'm glad I'm front-plate-free. But thanks for posting anyway it will be useful if/when I get busted.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 11:09 PM

My plate mounts were already installed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190216_150006.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	155.9 KB
ID:	1795  

Jaguar I-Pace SE Borasco Grey Mars Red Interior Clear Bra Ceramic Coat
20" Wheels Mud Flaps Meridian Surround Sound Driver Assist Pack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 01:14 AM

I only used the bottom screws also. Seems like a good fit and holds well. Required in CA and I don't see that it is a big deal.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

Mount on the car and the pads stacked on the sensor.

And how it looks with a license plate.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up CravenSpeed customer support

I wasn't fully content with the license plate mount obscuring the parking sensor. Browsing the gallery of pictures at CravenSpeed, I found an I-pace picture with the plate offset to the right side of the car and not blocking the sensor.

I sent an email to support at CravenSpeed enquiring of the difference between their picture and mine.
Within a day came back the reponse:
"That I-Pace was a new fitment for us, but it looks like the part on our website was not updated to include the correct backplate! I'll send that out to you this afternoon, along with a return label to send back the center-mount backplate that was included. I'm sorry for the inconvenience. With the replacement backplate, you should not have any sensor issues."

And so they did! Email on a Monday and the mount plate arrived Thrusday via priority mail.

Here's the proper I-pace plate mount.

And here's how a plate looks that doesn't block the sensor.

No stack of pads required.

Thumbs up to CravenSpeed for their customer support.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 04:31 PM

Somebody stole my front plate.

And that's the story I'm sticking with.

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 04:39 PM

I have my front plate in the frunk
Happy to show it anyone who wants to see it
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

I thought about having a frunk plate too. A lot of "Model T" cars seem to get by with having them.

This plate helps people know what this car is when I park "nose out" at work. It generates quite a few "I like that car's looks" comments.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 10:17 PM

This is the coolest solution I have ever seen to a foldaway front license plate. Now to figure out if I can use on my I-Pace.

Jaguar I-Pace First Edition Photon Red

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page