Towing Hitch not available for North America - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

Towing Hitch not available for North America

Hello all,

Just about to place an order for an iPace and have one question left that I did not like the answer to, so I thought I'd see here if other options were possible.

Apparently there is no towing hitch option available for the iPace in North America (at least here in Canada). If so, has anyone found any third party options? I don't plan on towing often, but I've had hitches on all my cars going back 20 years and would prefer maintaining that option if possible.

Thanks,

Roch
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 10:00 PM

Ditto, but I bought one without a hitch anyway... obsolescing my 3-bike rack of 20 years. If you do find a way to implement a hitch in the U.S., please post it!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 02:43 PM

If bike carrier is your primary reason for tow hitch, see the posts in the “Rear Mounted Cycle Carrier?” Thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcomeau View Post
Hello all,

Just about to place an order for an iPace and have one question left that I did not like the answer to, so I thought I'd see here if other options were possible.

Apparently there is no towing hitch option available for the iPace in North America (at least here in Canada). If so, has anyone found any third party options? I don't plan on towing often, but I've had hitches on all my cars going back 20 years and would prefer maintaining that option if possible.

Thanks,

Roch
If you are resourceful you could probably find a way to order the tow hitch sold in Europe and with a bit of modifications make it work in the US. However, an owner from Finland just posted his experience on FB. It took his dealer >5 hours to install and it sounded as if it required extensive drilling/cutting/welding. Definitely not for the faint of heart. With such low volumes in the US it will likely be awhile (if ever) before someone does an aftermarket kit.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

The bike rack is one main reason, so the Jaguar one will solve that, however I hoping to build a cottage over the next few years so a trailer than can haul plywood and other materials would be handy. I've always had a hitch on every car that could take one, so this will feel like something is missing.

The sales guy said the hitch was not available because the euro one would not pass safety (I assume crash) tests. He may have been speculating, but said something about the risk of the hitch going into the battery in accidents.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 05:43 PM

This is what one has to go through to install the towbar available in Europe. It is an extensive modification.

JAGUAR Accessory Fitting Instructions
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 08:16 PM

Do you feel lucky? Here's a US source, and the instructions in Post 6 are USA english language instructions.

https://parts.jaguarpalmbeach.com/p/...8/T4K8031.html

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcomeau View Post
Hello all,

Thanks,

Roch
Torklift has a reputation for providing hitch receiver solutions for EVs. They made an early solution for Tesla, Chevy Bolt and Chevy Volt. Id take them the Jaguar pdf and ask if they are interested in designing a solution. They have options for other Jaguar models.

TORKLIFT CENTRAL HITCH & TOW
315 Central Ave N
Kent, WA 98032

https://torkliftcentral.com/trailer-...tches/ecohitch

JAGUAR Accessory Fitting Instructions

- 2009 BMW MINI E > 2013 Honda Fit EV > 2017 Chevy Bolt EV
- 2013 Ford C-Max Energi > 2020 Jaguar I-Pace HSE
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info so far

Hi,

Thanks for the information. I don't think I need the hitch enough to go to these lengths, but I'll see once I get the car (I ordered it yesterday for delivery in 6 months in Montreal). Maybe by then, some of these solutions will make their way up here. I'll no doubt have new questions once I get the car. Thanks for this great forum!

Cheers,

Roch
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 06:12 PM

Just to chime in as I'm doing research for a customer to attach a bike mount on to tow bar. From the installation pics, part #T4K8031 is not your ordinary box receiver.

Here's a link to the install guide: JAGUAR Accessory Fitting Instructions

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page