Rear Mounted Cycle Carrier? - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By tmillhoff

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

Rear Mounted Cycle Carrier?

Does anyone have feedback on the quality, capacity and durability of the Rear Mounted Cycle Carrier? Specifically...
- Are the tire channels fat enough for MTB with 3" tires?
- Is the rack set far enough back to ensure MTB longhorn bars won't hit the rear window?
- Is it beefy enough to support 2 MTBs?

I pick my my new First Edition in a few days and hesitate to buy the rack as it looks flimsy, with load capacities to light for my Specialized Turbo Levo electric mountain bike
(Maximum load capacity 30kg (maximum weight per individual bike 20kg).

I'd consider just putting a standard rack on a tow hitch, but alas no tow hitch on American models... any after-market adapters out yet?

Rack details here:
https://gear.jaguar.com/us/en/i-pace...#tertiary-tabs

Thanks! -T
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	i-pace_t4k1178_1.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	1609  
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmillhoff View Post
Does anyone have feedback on the quality, capacity and durability of the Rear Mounted Cycle Carrier? Specifically...
- Are the tire channels fat enough for MTB with 3" tires?
- Is the rack set far enough back to ensure MTB longhorn bars won't hit the rear window?
- Is it beefy enough to support 2 MTBs?

I pick my my new First Edition in a few days and hesitate to buy the rack as it looks flimsy, with load capacities to light for my Specialized Turbo Levo electric mountain bike
(Maximum load capacity 30kg (maximum weight per individual bike 20kg).

I'd consider just putting a standard rack on a tow hitch, but alas no tow hitch on American models... any after-market adapters out yet?

Rack details here:
https://gear.jaguar.com/us/en/i-pace...#tertiary-tabs

Thanks! -T
It's a Thule rack (similar to the Thule EasyFold XT 2) licensed to JLR. Someone of the FB group recently posted about it.

Photon Red FE
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 04:45 PM

Read: JAGUAR Accessory Fitting Instructions

Note the 15kg per bicycle rating (30kg total, some docs say 20kg for one bike). It mounts where the recovery hooks do. Look like it will accept fat tires, but you might have to twist your bars. Not a big deal on most bikes.

There used to be WAY more involved bike rack I thought, and it was $1200 and was swing away? Heavier duty.

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.

Last edited by McRat; 04-02-2019 at 04:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 05:01 PM

DOH!! I'm a fool. That was for the Towbar Mounted Bicycle Carrier. It will tilt out of the way with the bikes mounted.

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 12:54 AM

Go to the United Kingdom Jag website and pull up the Jag part number of the trailer hitch for the Jaguar I-Pace. (it's T4K8031) Take that part number and Google it and one of the Jag Florida dealers had it listed for sale. I don't know what size the ball is. Best thing to do would be to find a welder and have him cut the ball off and weld a receiver hitch to the leftover stub. I had this done on my old Subaru STI to clear all the exhaust pipes by using a hitch designed for the standard model Impreza.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

Bummer - I just got the email below from our Reno JLR parts guy... I'm still inclined to buy the rack as I mountain bike a lot, but I really want to see one before I drop $1k. If anyone has purchased a rack I'd really appreciate a discussion! -Tom
---------
On Apr 18, 2019, at 4:58 PM, [email protected]> wrote:
Tom,
So I spoke with both our Factory Jaguar parts line & Jaguar technical help line. Neither department could recommend using that size bike on this carrier. Based on the video, I don’t think it will fit properly either.
They had no further technical information at this time.
XXXX
----------
Sent: Wednesday, April 17, 2019 2:04 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Rear Mounted Cycle Carrier Questions

Hi XXXX - I'd really like to have a platform bicycle rack for my I-Pace, but am not confident that the Rear Mounted Cycle Carrier (Reference # T4K1178) presented on the Jaguar website ( https://gear.jaguar.com/us/en/i-pace...#tertiary-tabs ) will accommodate my two mountain bikes. Could you please consult with your factory reps and answer these questions:

- About how long does it take for one person to install and remove the rack?
- Are the tire channels fat enough for Mountain Bike with 3" tires?
- Can you provide any photos of the rack loaded with two typical mountain bikes?
- I'm not concerned about the racks brakelights functioning, and it seems like a hassle to hook up wiring every time I install and remove the rack. May I purchase the rack only , or must I also purchase the Rear Mounted Cycle Carrier - Preparation Kit (Reference #: T4K1472) as indicated here:https://gear.jaguar.com/us/en/i-pace...#tertiary-tabs

Finally, in Europe the I-Pace has an option for a tow ball (Part Number: T4K8031 - link here: https://gear.jaguar.com/gb/en/i-pace...hable-tow-bar/) ... but this feature is not available in the US. If I wanted to retrofit a tow-hitch receiver to the I-Pace, could I weld a tow hitch to the frame? Do you expect the I-Pace might be able to support aftermarket hitches (for bike rack only - not for towing)? Where would the weld points be?

Thanks -(me)
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmillhoff View Post
Bummer - I just got the email below from our Reno JLR parts guy... I'm still inclined to buy the rack as I mountain bike a lot, but I really want to see one before I drop $1k. If anyone has purchased a rack I'd really appreciate a discussion! -Tom
---------
On Apr 18, 2019, at 4:58 PM, [email protected]> wrote:
Tom,
So I spoke with both our Factory Jaguar parts line & Jaguar technical help line. Neither department could recommend using that size bike on this carrier. Based on the video, I don’t think it will fit properly either.
They had no further technical information at this time.
XXXX
----------
Sent: Wednesday, April 17, 2019 2:04 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Rear Mounted Cycle Carrier Questions

Hi XXXX - I'd really like to have a platform bicycle rack for my I-Pace, but am not confident that the Rear Mounted Cycle Carrier (Reference # T4K1178) presented on the Jaguar website ( https://gear.jaguar.com/us/en/i-pace...#tertiary-tabs ) will accommodate my two mountain bikes. Could you please consult with your factory reps and answer these questions:

- About how long does it take for one person to install and remove the rack?
- Are the tire channels fat enough for Mountain Bike with 3" tires?
- Can you provide any photos of the rack loaded with two typical mountain bikes?
- I'm not concerned about the racks brakelights functioning, and it seems like a hassle to hook up wiring every time I install and remove the rack. May I purchase the rack only , or must I also purchase the Rear Mounted Cycle Carrier - Preparation Kit (Reference #: T4K1472) as indicated here:https://gear.jaguar.com/us/en/i-pace...#tertiary-tabs

Finally, in Europe the I-Pace has an option for a tow ball (Part Number: T4K8031 - link here: https://gear.jaguar.com/gb/en/i-pace...hable-tow-bar/) ... but this feature is not available in the US. If I wanted to retrofit a tow-hitch receiver to the I-Pace, could I weld a tow hitch to the frame? Do you expect the I-Pace might be able to support aftermarket hitches (for bike rack only - not for towing)? Where would the weld points be?

Thanks -(me)
You may want to visit the UK Forum as there are users there who have the bike rack and could give you better answers from a user standpoint.

Also, keep in mind these are Thule racks with JLR bling. You may be better off going to a Thule dealer and see if they can help you out.

Photon Red FE
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 06:27 PM

This should bring a grin to you. The I-pace specific installation instructions for the carrier say:

"Keep a safe distance between the bicycle carrier and cycles mounted upon it and the exhaust system to avoid heat damage to the bicycle carrier and/or bicycles."
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayepace View Post
This should bring a grin to you. The I-pace specific installation instructions for the carrier say:

"Keep a safe distance between the bicycle carrier and cycles mounted upon it and the exhaust system to avoid heat damage to the bicycle carrier and/or bicycles."
definitely don’t want the exhaust system to affect the carrier or the bikes. That’s funny. . Thanks for the quote.

2019 I-Pace EV400 SE
Firenze Red - Ebony/Ebony
Driver Assist Pack
Black Exterior Pack
20" 5 Spoke Style 5068 Gloss Black Wheels
plus a few extras
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

OK I bit the bullet, bought the cycle carrier and installed it ... And I am happy!

It handles my 2 MTB’s - including my 42lb E-Bike- pretty well. comes with a cool & useful torque wrench, pictured.

I stripped off the rediculous taillights & license plate holder... and don’t buy the “required” connector kit.

Hardest part about installing it is remembering that the mounting bolts screw in anti-clockwise (“lefty-tighty”)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8D29259E-8B1B-4C94-AACC-148D95E84E3E_1557426141333.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	167.6 KB
ID:	1697   Click image for larger version

Name:	AF3092CC-7016-479F-8B6A-8FCC534E840C_1557426183836.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	158.2 KB
ID:	1699   Click image for larger version

Name:	8F682A74-FEDC-4772-AC77-959984A291D8_1557426208387.jpg
Views:	18