Bummer - I just got the email below from our Reno JLR parts guy... I'm still inclined to buy the rack as I mountain bike a lot, but I really want to see one before I drop $1k. If anyone has purchased a rack I'd really appreciate a discussion! -Tom
On Apr 18, 2019, at 4:58 PM, [email protected]
So I spoke with both our Factory Jaguar parts line & Jaguar technical help line. Neither department could recommend using that size bike on this carrier. Based on the video, I don’t think it will fit properly either.
They had no further technical information at this time.
Sent: Wednesday, April 17, 2019 2:04 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Rear Mounted Cycle Carrier Questions
Hi XXXX - I'd really like to have a platform bicycle rack for my I-Pace, but am not confident that the Rear Mounted Cycle Carrier (Reference # T4K1178) presented on the Jaguar website ( https://gear.jaguar.com/us/en/i-pace...#tertiary-tabs
) will accommodate my two mountain bikes. Could you please consult with your factory reps and answer these questions:
- About how long does it take for one person to install and remove the rack?
- Are the tire channels fat enough for Mountain Bike with 3" tires?
- Is the rack set far enough back to ensure MTB longhorn bars won't hit the rear window?
- Can you provide any photos of the rack loaded with two typical mountain bikes?
- I'm not concerned about the racks brakelights functioning, and it seems like a hassle to hook up wiring every time I install and remove the rack. May I purchase the rack only , or must I also purchase the Rear Mounted Cycle Carrier - Preparation Kit (Reference #: T4K1472) as indicated here:https://gear.jaguar.com/us/en/i-pace...#tertiary-tabs
Finally, in Europe the I-Pace has an option for a tow ball (Part Number: T4K8031 - link here: https://gear.jaguar.com/gb/en/i-pace...hable-tow-bar/
) ... but this feature is not available in the US. If I wanted to retrofit a tow-hitch receiver to the I-Pace, could I weld a tow hitch to the frame? Do you expect the I-Pace might be able to support aftermarket hitches (for bike rack only - not for towing)? Where would the weld points be?