Rear Mounted Cycle Carrier? - Page 2 - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 02:50 PM

Ease of installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmillhoff View Post
OK I bit the bullet, bought the cycle carrier and installed it ... And I am happy!

It handles my 2 MTB’s - including my 42lb E-Bike- pretty well. comes with a cool & useful torque wrench, pictured.

I stripped off the rediculous taillights & license plate holder... and don’t buy the “required” connector kit.

Hardest part about installing it is remembering that the mounting bolts screw in anti-clockwise (“lefty-tighty”)

How quickly can it be installed/removed compared to a regular hitch-mounted rack? Thanks.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-SHIN View Post
How quickly can it be installed/removed compared to a regular hitch-mounted rack? Thanks.
A regular hitch-mounted rack could take under 30 seconds. On my Impreza, it took me about 5 minutes as I had the receiver tucked up under the bumper.
My I-Pace takes about 5 minutes to mount.

A couple of seconds to remove and store the two tow caps.
A couple of seconds to place the rack into the tow slots.
2 minutes to screw in the right side tow screw.
2 minutes to screw in the left side tow screw, tork the screw and close the cap.
About another minute to tighten, tork and close the cap on the right side tow screw.

I've only used it twice now and I think I should get quicker as time goes along.
I've carried two full-suspension mountain bikes. Neither are fitted with boost wheels.

The clearance between the bikes is not ideal.

The wheel trays are...different. But if you cinch the wheels down first, the bike will stand up easily while you add the top frame mount.

I am clamping on the carbon frame. All that is needed is a very light clamp.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waja View Post
A regular hitch-mounted rack could take under 30 seconds. On my Impreza, it took me about 5 minutes as I had the receiver tucked up under the bumper.
My I-Pace takes about 5 minutes to mount.

A couple of seconds to remove and store the two tow caps.
A couple of seconds to place the rack into the tow slots.
2 minutes to screw in the right side tow screw.
2 minutes to screw in the left side tow screw, tork the screw and close the cap.
About another minute to tighten, tork and close the cap on the right side tow screw.

I've only used it twice now and I think I should get quicker as time goes along.
I've carried two full-suspension mountain bikes. Neither are fitted with boost wheels.

The clearance between the bikes is not ideal.

The wheel trays are...different. But if you cinch the wheels down first, the bike will stand up easily while you add the top frame mount.

I am clamping on the carbon frame. All that is needed is a very light clamp.
Thanks for the detailed overview of the installation!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 06:56 PM

Thanks for the pics! I'd wondered about that thing, and how well it might do with two mountain bikes (big tires, wide handlebars). Since I already had roof carriers from previous crossbar setups, I bought the crossbars when I bought my car. My 7-year-old Whispbar (Yakima) carriers fit onto the Jaguar crossbars uneventfully. I've fit 3 mountain bikes on my roof (using a step stool to reach the middle one). So if anyone's curious, know that that's an option too. I don't have any pics with mountain bikes, but here's one with a couple road bikes on the roof.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVIMG_20190614_143559.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	478.4 KB
ID:	2473  

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page