4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 10:35 PM

Affected markets: North America

2019 F60202
2020 F79239

H213NAS1 - Non-Compliance Recall: Regenerative Braking System Non-compliance

SITUATION:

A potential issue has been identified on certain Jaguar vehicles within the listed Affected Vehicle Range where, in the event of a failure of the electrical regenerative braking system, the time to achieve the required compensation from the initial brake request does not meet the requirements of Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (CMVSS) 135 S5.1.3 (Regenerative Braking Systems) and Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) 135 S5.1.3 (Regenerative Braking Systems).

The driver will experience a momentary reduction of deceleration at the moment of loss of electrical regenerative braking until the foundation brakes function. This concern does not impact the foundation braking functionality.
Vehicles in this condition do not meet the regulated requirement. Stopping distance may be extended and could increase the risk of a crash.

ACTION:

Retailers are required to HOLD affected new vehicles that are within your control and refrain from releasing the vehicles for new vehicle sale pending completion of the procedure(s) detailed in this Technical Bulletin. Unsold vehicles should have this performed as part of the Pre-Delivery Inspection (PDI) process but must have it completed prior to vehicle handover to the customer.

Affected vehicles already in the hands of customers should be updated at the next available opportunity.

Last edited by Jagpa; 05-23-2019 at 10:44 PM.
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 08:48 PM

Garage
I got this update last Friday
Not 100 % sure but it feels I have a better brake feel now.
More linear response when braking than before.

I got it at my dealer together with other updates so don’t know if OTA works for me
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 03:34 PM
Administrator

Garage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 11:14 AM

How will you tell? The regen braking is pretty dire in this EV.
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaan126 View Post
Your opinion, I find it works great. I modulate how much I let off the pedal and it closes the two to stop at the intersection just fine.
gbillcb likes this.
post #16 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaan126 View Post
Only the GM Bolt seems to have as much if not more Regen than the I-Pace.

Both have diminished regen at 100% SOC, as do Teslas.
epirali likes this.

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.
post #17 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

according to jaguar, this has never been reported to have happened in the wild. What exactly is it? When you're using regen and that fails for some reason, if you hit the brake it will take a few tenths of a second longer than it should to activate the physical brake? do i have that right?

2019 Jaguar I-Pace HSE First Edition Corris Grey
2017 Jaguar F-Pace S
post #18 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 05:12 PM

Yes, it seems like abundance of caution to me. If driver has become accustomed to regen being there as a part of the braking, it will take a moment for driver to realize to push harder on the brake pedal, or move foot the the brake pedal for a driver with the habit of one-foot driving.

I appreciate JLR doing this instead of having a feature where if it doesn't work and the car runs into an object, under objects, or over people resulting in damage, injuries and deaths, they'd just blame the driver for not being attentive, insufficient reflexes, or foolishly using the feature as it has been touted to work (although it wasn't guaranteed to work in all situations). "Model T" come to mind, anyone?
post #19 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 08:13 PM

Somewhat unrelated, but of interest... I was experimenting with 'hypermiling' by punching up "N" (Neutral) while exiting the freeway (so I could truly 'coast' to the light nearly half a mile away without trying to balance Power and Charge on the accelerator). Discovered that Regen DOES NOT function when the car is in neutral - braking did NOT 'charge' the car at all. I'm ambivalent about it, but just thought others might want to know. I assume this was intended, but curious if anyone can offer a rationale? Should regen be engaged when braking while in Neutral? Obviously the brakes still worked in Neutral. FYI, this was before I heard about the recall but I don't think it (recall) has any bearing on this issue.
post #20 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 09:03 PM

I would expect the motors to be electrically inactive (neutral) in N. Neutral should allow the car to be pushed/pulled without causing any power drain or generation.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page