Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB) Dangerous! - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-24-2020, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB) Dangerous!

I was just involved in an accident and I blame the iPace. I always leave a lot of stopping distance in front of me. This morning I'm on the 405 south freeway going to work at about 45 mph and a car in front of me slows down and I'm slowing down but the iPace suddenly pulls the brake pedal away from my foot and SLAMS the brakes bringing the car to a FULL STOP (while everyone else is still going 45mph) and a car behind me slams into me. Is there a way to adjust or disable the AEB??? It's truly worthless in stop and go traffic. This could have been avoided if I had control of the brakes. A similar thing happened at a stop light months ago. I had plenty of stopping distance but the ipace decided it need to step on them hard and come to a complete stop. Luckily no one was behind me or i'm sure they would have rear ended me. Also the driver emergency steering assist can be very dangerous. Sometimes the car thinks there is an obstacle (when there isn't one) while i'm going 65 and it will abruptly turn the wheel. Not cool!
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-24-2020, 04:35 PM

I see a dark gray or black I-PACE going south on the 405 on my daily commute. Is this you? And yes, you can switch off AEB. From the manual:

Quote:
AEB automatically switches on, every time the vehicle’s electrical system is switched on.

If required, AEB can be switched off via the Driver assistance instrument panel menu. See INSTRUMENT PANEL MENU.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-24-2020, 07:03 PM

have 12k miles on my ipace, have never had an incorrect braking incident like this. How fast were you coming up on the car in front of you and how much room did it leave? Only time my went off it definitely saved me from rear ending somebody.

2019 Jaguar I-Pace HSE First Edition Corris Grey
2017 Jaguar F-Pace S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-24-2020, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudonym View Post
have 12k miles on my ipace, have never had an incorrect braking incident like this. How fast were you coming up on the car in front of you and how much room did it leave? Only time my went off it definitely saved me from rear ending somebody.
My I-Pace has never initiated the AEB but it happened in a Land Rover Discovery loaner car and it saved me from a terrible accident. I was merging onto the highway and looking over my left shoulder to change lanes and traffic stopped in front of me. I heard the AEB alarm and then felt the brakes engage as the car came to a sudden stop. Close call! Although my Ford has AEB I don't know if it would have been as good as the Discovery.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-24-2020, 07:21 PM
Super Moderator

I don't recall anyone else on the forum having had this experience, which strongly suggests it's something specific to your vehicle, perhaps an intermittently bad sensor. This is very bad and I would initiate a conversation with JLR about it, perhaps even file a record with the Feds.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-24-2020, 08:26 PM

This happened to me once on the 110 Freeway (Harbor Fwy). Car in front was starting to slow as we approach the 105 interchange, while I was barreling at high speed. I saw the car in front was slowing down and the AEB sound went off. I guess I was too slow in reaching for the brake pedal. As soon as I placed my foot on top of the brake pedal, the AEB turned on the and car suddenly stopped. There was still enough distance for me to press the brake and slow down, but I suppose the AI in the car thought I wasn't going for the brake and stopped the car. There was no car behind me so no biggie. The entire scenario of abruptly stopping and me pressing back on the accelarator happened very quickly and I never paid much attention to the incident.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-24-2020, 09:19 PM

I had it go off once when I was braking late and hard, but it braked harder, unnecessarily so. Worth it!

Photon FE, 2013 FR-S, 2014 Forester, and maybe going to get a Fiat 500e
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-24-2020, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennsmooth View Post
I was just involved in an accident and I blame the iPace. I always leave a lot of stopping distance in front of me. This morning I'm on the 405 south freeway going to work at about 45 mph and a car in front of me slows down and I'm slowing down but the iPace suddenly pulls the brake pedal away from my foot and SLAMS the brakes bringing the car to a FULL STOP (while everyone else is still going 45mph) and a car behind me slams into me. Is there a way to adjust or disable the AEB??? It's truly worthless in stop and go traffic. This could have been avoided if I had control of the brakes. A similar thing happened at a stop light months ago. I had plenty of stopping distance but the ipace decided it need to step on them hard and come to a complete stop. Luckily no one was behind me or i'm sure they would have rear ended me. Also the driver emergency steering assist can be very dangerous. Sometimes the car thinks there is an obstacle (when there isn't one) while i'm going 65 and it will abruptly turn the wheel. Not cool!
How much room was there in front at the end of the stop? While the I-Pace may have stopped quicker, I'd blame the guy behind you as I am sure the insurance company will. You need to keep a safe distance or keep on your toes. What if you braked to avoid something? You don't get to judge why one might brake in front of you, You are supposed to be ready for it.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-24-2020, 10:16 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruintoo View Post
This happened to me once on the 110 Freeway (Harbor Fwy). Car in front was starting to slow as we approach the 105 interchange, while I was barreling at high speed. I saw the car in front was slowing down and the AEB sound went off. I guess I was too slow in reaching for the brake pedal. As soon as I placed my foot on top of the brake pedal, the AEB turned on the and car suddenly stopped. There was still enough distance for me to press the brake and slow down, but I suppose the AI in the car thought I wasn't going for the brake and stopped the car. There was no car behind me so no biggie. The entire scenario of abruptly stopping and me pressing back on the accelarator happened very quickly and I never paid much attention to the incident.
And what would have happened if you did have someone behind you? This is horrible!

In my experience, in other areas of science and engineering, if something goes horribly wrong but is rare, usually more than one issue is at fault. Here, there may be a (1) software misdesign that (2) when a sensor is whacky results in unexpected behavior. I'm speculating on (1) and (2) specifics, but my point is that one should not be looking for a single cause: It's not just software alone, which would result in a higher frequency of such occurrences; and it's definitely not just a bad sensor, because a single bad sensor should not result in this extreme behavior; the design needs to be robust to hardware issues.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-24-2020, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

I was going about 30-40 as I approached the car in front of me while slowing down. Nothing unusual. I was slowing down but none of this was abrupt. Just normal traffic slow down. Then when I had about 2 car lengths (still light on the brakes) iPace took control and braked hard without any warning but the car in front of me kept moving forward. I don't think I ever had less than a car length between me and car in front of me. I remember thinking "no no nooo nooooooo... i don't want to hit the brakes that hard!!!".. but it did anyway. I had plenty of room to brake! but at that moment I heard the crunch behind me. I'll be turning off AEB (if it's an option in the menus) on the commute to work from now on.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page