• 2 Post By PS702
  • 1 Post By Deutsch100
  • 2 Post By Photon2.0eV
  • 2 Post By waja
  • 4 Post By stylus1133

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Is under hood condensation normal?

So yesterday morning I happened to be showing someone the storage (or lack thereof) in the frunk. When I popped the hood, I noticed moisture on the plastic cover under the hood directly above the storage space. There was also moisture in the storage space as well. I'm in SoCal, and lately the temp's been in the high 40's overnight and quickly warms up in the day time to high 60's and even 70's with high humidity. There's dew and moisture on the car in the morning, but I was surprised to find it under the hood and in the storage compartment. I own a Model 3 as well, and have only used the front storage a couple times in the year and a half that I've owned that car, so I typically would never even open the hood to notice this. Maybe this is a normal thing, and I'll just make sure that I don't ever store anything in the frunk overnight that I don't want to get wet. Has anyone experienced this in high humidity areas? Is this something to be concerned about? I attached a couple of pics that I took of this yesterday.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hood Cover.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	192.7 KB
ID:	3305   Click image for larger version

Name:	Storage Area.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	376.5 KB
ID:	3307  
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator

I just checked, mine is bone dry though there is some evidence of water having been in it previously, perhaps after a car wash or a particularly bad rain/drive. Had you ever opened it before? Perhaps it's "leftover" from a spirited car wash by your dealer, rather than rain. Do check for seal issues ...
Deutsch100 and stylus1133 like this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 04:14 PM

Water does get in around the storage area, but not in the actual carpeted part.
I wash my car with high water pressure in that area, including the front grill to push the water through the opening in the hood and have never seen your problem

2019 HSE Ceasium Blue/oyster, 5068 wheels
April 2019 build date
Southern California, USA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 04:30 PM

I would be concerned with this. Water and moisture should NOT been in the carpeted area. The frunk is where a lot of people store the charge cable. I would show these pics to your dealer ASAP and demand/request a new front seal!
stylus1133 likes this.

2019 Jaguar I-Pace HSE Indus Silver
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 05:53 PM

Red face

I had the same issue when I took delivery of my car last January. Here is what I did to fix it. The dealer had my car cleaned quickly so I could take delivery that night. The car wash guys got a little crazy and got water into the frunk. Because it is usually humid in my area (Hilton Head, SC) the water vapor from the frunk will condense on the plastic above it and then drip back into the carpet area. Kinda like its own ECO system. Solution I took a hair dryer and dried the carpet in the frunk completely and issue has been gone for 12 months. Give this a try.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 06:10 PM

I also had this issue when I first got my I-Pace 5 months ago. For me, there was condensation on the lid, but the carpets felt dry. I dried the lid and left the hood up for an hour. I haven't had the issue since then.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, this sounds about right! I did a quick wipe of the carpeted area yesterday when I noticed the moisture, and this morning, there was less condensation on the plastic above. I just took delivery 3 days ago and was told they washed the car "thoroughly", since it had been sitting in a dirt lot. I must not have noticed the water in the frunk when I took delivery, and it's been condensing on the plastic above. I'll definitely try to dry it completely with a hair dryer tonight and see if that solves the problem. Thanks a lot!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 12:49 AM

I noticed it on my car after it was shipped to me. I too wiped it clean/used a blow dryer and it has been dry ever since I completely dried it off.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylus1133 View Post
Yeah, this sounds about right! I did a quick wipe of the carpeted area yesterday when I noticed the moisture, and this morning, there was less condensation on the plastic above. I just took delivery 3 days ago and was told they washed the car "thoroughly", since it had been sitting in a dirt lot. I must not have noticed the water in the frunk when I took delivery, and it's been condensing on the plastic above. I'll definitely try to dry it completely with a hair dryer tonight and see if that solves the problem. Thanks a lot!
Just to close the loop on this, I dried the carpeted area completely with a hair dryer for like 10 min, and the issue is gone! Thanks for everyone's input on this.
JHock, Zofran, Deutsch100 and 1 others like this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page