Basic charging question from a newbie - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

Basic charging question from a newbie

Hi
I've just had my new 2020 iPace delivered...looks and drives great!

Now this is a real dumb newbie question which I hope someone can help with once they have stopped laughing. I can't get the charging cable into the charge point. I have the car unlocked, in park and turned off. But there is a piece of black plastic which prevents me plugging in. When I try and bend it (slightly, carefully) to gain access, it locks the car.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

JC
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnclare369 View Post
Hi
I've just had my new 2020 iPace delivered...looks and drives great!

Now this is a real dumb newbie question which I hope someone can help with once they have stopped laughing. I can't get the charging cable into the charge point. I have the car unlocked, in park and turned off. But there is a piece of black plastic which prevents me plugging in. When I try and bend it (slightly, carefully) to gain access, it locks the car.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

JC
You might need to provide a picture so that we can see what you are seeing.

When you open the charge port door, you should see a CCS (combo charge port). The top part of the port is a standard J1772 socket which is what you would use when you charge in your car at home. The bottom part of the connector is the 'combo' part. It is covered with a plastic cover that you take off so that you can use a DC Fast charge cable. This cover is tethered when you remove it. Removing the bottom cover should not cause the car to lock, nor should it block you from plugging into the J1772 portion of the socket.

If you look at the paper manual or the iGuide under "Vehicle Charging" and "Charging Port location" there is a picture of the socket. The bottom part of the socket with the two pins is normally covered and only used with the Combo fast chargers - which use both the top 5 pins and the bottom two pins at the same time. Your home charger uses the round set of five pins above for Level 2 charging. You shouldn't have a cable that includes the bottom two pins.
Deutsch100 and johnclare369 like this.

2019 I-Pace EV400 SE
Firenze Red - Ebony/Ebony
Driver Assist Pack
Black Exterior Pack
20" 5 Spoke Style 5068 Gloss Black Wheels
plus a few extras

Last edited by Sbingham60; 01-09-2020 at 06:17 PM.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 10:26 PM

Is that piece of black plastic the charge port door? Just push in o n the side close to the driver door, release and it pops open.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 11:00 PM

My guess is you are describing the locking actuator pin which comes down to lock the connector to the car. Have you tried pressing your key fob unlock button at least 2 times quickly (our new decal recommends 3 times quickly). If the locking actuator does not move that pin upward and out of the way it is possible the actuator is defective. I believe the actuator part #T2R39004. Give it a try!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-10-2020, 04:35 AM Thread Starter

Thanks..and another question

Many thanks for your help on this. The piece of black plastic was the cover over the DC charging port:-( Once you pointed out that's what it was I just prised it off and hey presto! That's really helpful.

Next question: I plugged in and got the green light indicating charging. At that stage the car is unlocked. I assume I don't leave the car unlocked while it is charging?!! When I lock it, the green charging light goes off. Does that mean the car is still charging?

Apologies again for the dumb questions.

JC
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-10-2020, 05:19 AM Thread Starter

And one final question:
Can I turn the car on while charging? Obviously I don't want to drive it, but can I use the radio/phone etc while it is charging?
Thanks everyone!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-10-2020, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Many thanks for your help on this. The piece of black plastic was the cover over the DC charging port:-( Once you pointed out that's what it was I just prised it off and hey presto! That's really helpful.

Next question: I plugged in and got the green light indicating charging. At that stage the car is unlocked. I assume I don't leave the car unlocked while it is charging?!! When I lock it, the green charging light goes off. Does that mean the car is still charging?

Apologies again for the dumb questions.

JC
Hi,

The only dumb questions are the ones not asked. When you lock the car, the charge light does indeed go out but it is still charging. If you peek in the window, the dash will probably still be showing the status until it also completes it **** down. Personally I’d rather the light stay on but this is how they did it.

I work in software and I recall a documentary with an early Apple programmer and he got it right when he said that if you are sitting in front of a computer and feel stupid trying to use it, it was their fault. Same thing goes here. Good user interface design, be it software or hardware and how a device communicates with the user (touch, sight and sound) is an art and something that we pay to little attention to.
PS702 and Deutsch100 like this.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-10-2020, 09:11 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
And one final question:
Can I turn the car on while charging? Obviously I don't want to drive it, but can I use the radio/phone etc while it is charging?
Thanks everyone!
Yes, you can sit in the car and use whatever you need to use while charging
Deutsch100 likes this.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-10-2020, 05:09 PM

You only have to press the "power" button in the small knob below the touch panel to bring it to life, as well as the radio, WIFI, phone, etc. You don't need to push the "start" button.
However, it will shut off after about 10 minutes. A quick touch of the button brings it back to life without a lengthy boot up. Of course, this breaks all connections like WIFI, cell phone, using the built in browser, etc.

I'd like to keep it going (can they give a confirmation prompt to keep it on?) while it is charging. It does not draw a lot of power and the charging input is supplying the power.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-10-2020, 05:56 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayepace View Post
You only have to press the "power" button in the small knob below the touch panel to bring it to life, as well as the radio, WIFI, phone, etc. You don't need to push the "start" button.
However, it will shut off after about 10 minutes. A quick touch of the button brings it back to life without a lengthy boot up. Of course, this breaks all connections like WIFI, cell phone, using the built in browser, etc.

I'd like to keep it going (can they give a confirmation prompt to keep it on?) while it is charging. It does not draw a lot of power and the charging input is supplying the power.
I would generally sit in my car the entire charge cycle (~ 2 hours) and never had it power down...but I believe I turned the car ‘on’ by pressing the Start button without my foot on the brake.