Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

Humming/Grinding noise at 65+ MPH

14K views 39 replies 16 participants last post by  moraggrassie 
#1 ·
#14 ·
Funny I stumbled across this, did you only notice it at high speeds? I live in Cali as well, and have had mine for about three weeks, and when I get around or above 75 (don't judge me), I hear a sound I can't quite describe, but I only hear it at those speeds.

Did you notice any other symptoms?

#16 ·
Not that anyone was interested, but if it helps anyone else, it looks like when they did the H264 they didn't put back in the grommets in the engine cover, the plastic cover in the engine compartment. So at higher speeds, the cover was rattling in the compartment.

At least, that's the working theory so far since they're missing.

<holds breath>

#17 ·
as above, while unlikely related to the OP's issue, an 'FYI' for the community at large- Just yesterday, while on the highway, doing 75-ish, i heard an intermittent, muffled 'screech' sound, seeming coming from somewhere under the car. Didn't seem to vary with speed, but seemed to start and stop shortly after going over small bumps or expansion joints. It was troubling enough that I got off the highway at the next exit, found a parking lot, and had a look. Turns out that the small air deflector in front of the left rear tire had come loose, and remained anchored only by a single one (the inner-most, if I recall) of its little plastic anchoring pegs. As such, it had pivoted longitudinally from its normal transverse position, so that the loose end was bouncing off of, and getting partially ground down by, the front of the left rear tire. I was able to snap it back in place, but it still seems a bit more 'wiggly' than it should be. I think I'll order a repalcement.

#19 ·
OK - so here's the latest for anyone following:

The front motor was replaced in a day (apparently this is a known issue). The tech said when he checked the oil inside the motor it looked almost like mercury from all the metal that had sheared off.

This, however, did not fix the noise that is present in the video I had previously uploaded.

I went for a ride with the tech and the shop foreperson, where we, fortunately, were able to replicate the noise. He seems confident that it's wind noise, and he will attempt to locate the cause on Monday.

Fingers crossed.

#21 ·
OK - so here's the latest for anyone following:

The front motor was replaced in a day (apparently this is a known issue). The tech said when he checked the oil inside the motor it looked almost like mercury from all the metal that had sheared off.

This, however, did not fix the noise that is present in the video I had previously uploaded.

I went for a ride with the tech and the shop foreperson, where we, fortunately, were able to replicate the noise. He seems confident that it's wind noise, and he will attempt to locate the cause on Monday. Fingers crossed.
I just had what sounds like the same noise start ocurring on Tuesday, 9100 miles. Sounds almost like a Kerker muffler on a motorcycle from a distance. You can hear it coming up if you listen carefully around 52+ but most prominent 65+. The pitch changes ever so slightly with speed. Before that there was a whirring kind of noise at aprx same speeds that they did not acknowlege a problem which I just knew was going to get worse. May or may not be relted. Brought it in for service and the same old thing, seems they don't want to acknowledge problems. Can't duplicate, wind noise, others do it, etc. That might be the case if it was always ocurring but when it just started happening, its obviously a problem that needs fixing. Funny when my non-tech wife heard it start happening at the same time I did and asked what the noise was and they can't acknowledge a problem. I picked up the vehicle and on my way from service it was quite evident so had to turn back around and bring it back to them. Test drive with shop foreperson and he acknowledged the problem thank goodness. When you open your wallet and fork out +$90k cash, obviously not what you are expecting. They asked me what I would like them to do about it... uh, identify the problem and fix it. Seems they want me to identify the problem for them. I have to bring it back to them on Tuesday. It started ocurring just after my service for H264 and other updates. Noise sounds mechanical in nature to me and may not be related to wind. I asked them they can setup mics in the frunk to help locate. Guess we'll see what happens. I asked about the same thing, oil, motor, what kind of drive train is up front, etc.

I'll keep you updated if/when I Iearn anything.

Reactions: Deutsch100
#22 ·
I don‘t know if the noise is the same but I have an open issue since I bought my car with Jaguar. They already replaced the front drive unit and one side of the front drive shaft and it did not solve the problem. The dealer really has no clue what the root cause is and last November they wrote a letter to Jaguar. I received no further information so far. The noise starts at ~90kmh and is noticeable till a speed of ~125kmh but only during light acceleration. The noise isn‘t changing a lot depending on speed, it is just noticeable in the mentioned speed region under light acceleration. And no, it’s no wind noice, no street surface tire sound or usual whirring of the e-motor. The last idea of the garage was that it is not a mechanical cause and more a synchronising problem between front and rear drive unit but that is just a guess of them and no officially statement. They said I can drive the car and should not worry. H264 has been applied in the meantime but no changes to the issue.

#23 ·
Got the car back from the dealership. They said they bolted down something or other. Regardless, it did not fix the problem. I contacted Jaguar of North America and they opened a ticket number. I also scheduled a service appointment at a different dealership. They (Rusnak of Pasadena) will take the car on the 17th and be in touch with Jaguar directly to try to solve the mystery noise. I appreciate the feedback from others. If there are three of us experiencing this problem, I'm certain there are more as well. Please let us know if anyone finds a fix!

Best,
Adam

#25 ·
I'll tell you Adam, I'm having the exact same noise and conditions. The trouble came on abruptly one night on mine and my wifes drive home. My wife asked at the same time I started hearing it, "what's that noise". Had to be persistent with the dealer but they recognized the problem and are working on it. They stated its the front EDT (Electronic Drive Train). Had parts coming in from California then they needed other parts that are coming in from the UK. I believe the main parts are in from Cal but still waiting on parts from UK. My wonderful iPace I can't live without has now been at the dealer for over 11 days and counting collecting dust. (I'm special, they put me in a RAV4) Hate the thought of anyone doing such a major job on my baby but what can you do. Hope and pray its this EDT and not one of those ongoing things until they identify the problem.

I wonder if we'll start hearing more about this EDT...

PS The service advisor and tech were going to give the vehicle back to me as is with the usual "they all do it we're trying to help" customer intelligence insulting comment. I had to return and drive it with the shop lead and direct him to where the sound was coming from asking what was between the two motors that could be causing a sound like this which I believe helped them identify the issue with the EDT.

#24 ·
Mine makes a similar sounding noise at speeds over 40 mph when the air conditioning is not running. I've done some tests that seem to confirm that it has something to do with the air conditioning. Mine sounds like wind noise. It seems to happen when the cabin is being heated, but not when it is being cooled. I haven't had mine looked at by service yet. Hopefully one of us will get to the bottom of it and restore a quieter serenity for all of us.

#26 ·
Well, sheep sheet. When I took mine in for the H264 update (a whole other story), I got it back and I noticed the noise. I looked and they tech had forgotten to put the plastic screws in the plastic engine cover, so I thought BAM. That must be it. Mine sounds like wind noise, and even happens at different speeds depending on wind direction and speed. Went back to the dealer, picked up some of the screws and thought all was right with the world.

Nope. I even took off the plastic cover completely and same noise.

For those of you in this boat, mine only happens at speed (65+ with wind sheer, 75+ without). It stops as soon as you slow down. I would have sworn it was flapping plastic, but know you all have me wondering. WHat does yours sound like?

We've contacted the dealership so we'll see. Bought the car in January, the problem arose with less than 1k mikes.

#29 ·
There have been occasions when the front plastic covers (frunk) are removed for the hood cable / latch fix, the front internal air duct above the grill can be incorrectly re-fitted.

An owner had mentioned this on one of the I-Pace forums, with whistles and resonant vibrations (humming) at higher speeds.

This happened to my vehicle too. When I inspected my air duct, I could feel and see that the lower edge of the rear ducting was partially obstructing the air passage with a 1/8" gap between the two surfaces.

The techs immediately took the car inside and refitted it correctly. I am unable to report what the sound effect would have been:wink2:

#33 ·
So - for all who are concerned - they found the problem by flap (I believe it's for climate control) - it was not the flap itself but the seam around it... they filled the gap and hopefully the problem is gone now. Unfortunately now the heater doesn't work... back to the shop!

#40 ·
I've had the problem for about 6 months now. I lve in the east cost so heat is not the issue - but exactly the same accelerate around 55 and hummmmmmmmmm. Once its starts it goes for the entire ride. Been in the Fairfield CT dealer for 10 days "fixed" it saying it was a loose rear mud flap. Eh no it wasn't. Came back immediately. Waited another month to get a loaner and have given up because worried it could be doing damage.... Its now on day 4 and they haven't diagnosed anything. I'll share your outcome. Why is this forum more informative than jaguar?! I hope they have subscribed too.... Thanks for sharing your solution. Fingers crossed it works for me next week. BTW - love the car, done about 36K in 3 years would have done double that if it wasnt for COVID.

#35 ·
Yes for real! And there's a charging fault! Go me!
I spoke with the tech today and he told me the noise came from the intake that's on the lower front grille. The flap opens and closes depending on how hot the car is running. The flap would vibrate against the enclosure. He surrounded the enclosure with foam so when it vibrates it's against foam and not plastic to plastic which was causing the noise. He drove the car over 300 miles (10-15 mile round trips multiple times a day)

I have nothing but wonderful things to say about the service department at Rusnak Pasadena - they provided me with a loaner, have always been attentive, and have kept me updated constantly. If your'e experiencing the noise as well - and are near SoCal - talk with Eden in service and the tech's name is Craig.

#37 ·
I'm having this issue now as well. It started after getting my car back from having the wire harness replaced. Could that have something to do with it?

#38 ·
Attached is a video of the car operating when I hear the noise. If I lean closer to the windshield the noise gets prominently louder.

Any ideas?

New video by Adam Koppekin
I have a different noise around 70 mph coming from rear. 1200 miles on car noise just started. Sounds almost like plastic bag in wind. At first I thought it was coming from my radio. Waiting for an apointment

#39 ·
Steve,
have a look at the air deflectors under the side sills just in front of the rear wheels.

There have been many reports of one end of this plastic part coming detached and rubbing on the tire tread at high speeds. There is a warranty fix if this happens.

Cheers, Steve

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.