Dead 12V-- any workarounds? - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

Dead 12V-- any workarounds?

So the car didn't respond to my fob or the door button to unlock, and looking through the window, the dash showed a blinking red icon on the right that looked like a battery (hard to see though).

I have no idea why it happened since it's driven daily. The most recent thing I've done in any way different was do the software update on Friday (and that's just the InTouch interface-- the S19B ending in-43602).

I figure I'll just get the Jag app towing arranged tomorrow, but then I thought maybe I could somewhat charge the 12v via the 12v socket in the console and drive it to the dealer instead.

Is that possible? I would still take it in for full re-charging or replacement (and a circuit and software check) on warranty, but I am interested whether this idea would work as well.

When the 12v is discharged like this, what is the typical remedy?

2019 I-Pace 400EV HSE First Edition
Corris Grey - Ebony/Ebony
Delivered 2/22/19
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 08:46 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauderdaleFE View Post
So the car didn't respond to my fob or the door button to unlock, and looking through the window, the dash showed a blinking red icon on the right that looked like a battery (hard to see though).

I have no idea why it happened since it's driven daily. The most recent thing I've done in any way different was do the software update on Friday (and that's just the InTouch interface-- the S19B ending in-43602).

I figure I'll just get the Jag app towing arranged tomorrow, but then I thought maybe I could somewhat charge the 12v via the 12v socket in the console and drive it to the dealer instead.

Is that possible? I would still take it in for full re-charging or replacement (and a circuit and software check) on warranty, but I am interested whether this idea would work as well.

When the 12v is discharged like this, what is the typical remedy?
The main 12v battery is under the hood, under the black cowling At the base of the windshield on the passenger side. You can charge/jump it like any car. There seems to be a lot of problems with the 12v battery, which causes all sorts of wacky ailments. I would guess some module(s) are not properly powering down, resulting in the battery drain.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 09:07 PM

There are two batteries under the hood there, so either one could be the culprit. I posted previously about the aux battery failure in my iPace and it would not function, dealer had to replace that battery which had a bad cell.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantrium View Post
The main 12v battery is under the hood, under the black cowling At the base of the windshield on the passenger side. You can charge/jump it like any car. There seems to be a lot of problems with the 12v battery, which causes all sorts of wacky ailments. I would guess some module(s) are not properly powering down, resulting in the battery drain.
I know how to use the key hidden in the fob to get inside. But will the hood release from inside to gain access to the batteries in the front? (I'm sure I read about it if so, but that was back in February when I had just gotten it).

Thanks much, Dantrium!

Delivered 2/22/19
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 01:27 AM

Quote:
I know how to use the key hidden in the fob to get inside. But will the hood release from inside to gain access to the batteries in the front? (I'm sure I read about it if so, but that was back in February when I had just gotten it).

Thanks much, Dantrium!
If the battery that services that button has enough charge since I think it is an electronic latch. We ended up calling Jaguar service and they towed the car to the dealer to get it fixed.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 10:16 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantrium View Post

Thanks much, Dantrium!
There is a manual hood release latch, but I do not recall where it is. The iGUIDE probably has it listed
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 10:23 AM

Both of the 12v batteries on my car had to be replaced, but they may have been impacted when the battery control module failed and had to be replaced.

Cut and paste from the manual:
To open the bonnet with no power:
Remove the cap located in the right front footwell by turning it counter-clockwise.
Pull the emergency release cord.
Lift the bonnet safety catch. Raise the bonnet.
LauderdaleFE likes this.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Many thanks to all who have replied, and this will be good information to review and remember if the 12v eventually dies.

However, I just discovered that a far smaller battery's failure is the cause-- the fob I always use. I should have checked for that right away, but didn't, and now that I have, to my relief the second fob opens the doors and the car's battery(ies) are fine.

I had a bit of a clue that I didn't put together with the apparent failure, when the car alerted that no fob was found a few days ago. When it was in the open, sitting in the console area, unobstructed. I followed the instruction to place the fob under the steering wheel column, but didn't draw the obvious conclusion that the battery of the fob was very low. (Not sure if I locked it upon exiting with the fob, or by manually hitting the handle button, but it was on its last legs.)

False alarms are good to review things, I guess. I'll take both fobs to the dealer to replace both batteries at the same time. Thanks again for your helpful replies!
alphanstein likes this.

Delivered 2/22/19
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 01:43 PM

Certainly a happier ending. There's an auxiliary battery under the hood?

A software fix supposedly stopped the 12v draining issue. I had endless similar issues with my 528i. The car went in at least four times to try and fix it.

Photon FE, 2013 FR-S, 2017 RAM 1500, 2014 Forester
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
Certainly a happier ending. There's an auxiliary battery under the hood?

As #alphanstein mentioned, there are two 12V batteries. The main 12V is the one I referenced. It is a regular 12V car battery and is under the upper cowling on the passenger side. The other is a smaller, motorcycle sized battery. #alphanstein discussed it in this post:

https://www.i-paceforum.com/forum/47...ice-issue.html

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page