Bad battery. Finding out required detective work - Page 11 - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 67Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #101 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 03:32 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantrium View Post
If you drove 100 miles and the car now reports you SOC as 50%, if all is well, it means you used approximately 42kWhs and all is well with your battery. However, if you charge the car back to 100% but it only took 21 or 65 kWhs to get to 100%, you clearly have a problem.
I plugged my car in with a 10% SoC and 7.3 kWh per WattCat, unplugged with 100% SoC and 84 kWh. According to the JuiceBox app it fed in 85.33 kWh for this charging session. So I lost about 8.5 kWh. I have seen this behavior since the H228 update, before which the JuiceBox number always used to track the numbers from WattCat. I wonder if this is an inefficiency with the JuiceBox or with my I-Pace. Anyone has any thoughts?

HSE | Caesium Blue/Siena Tan | 20" Style 5068 wheels | Received 01/09/2019
post #102 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 03:36 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberSlug View Post
Most of the cars I've driven over the last several years all show DTE somewhere easy to see. Generally not quite as prominent as the gas gauge, but still visible by default. So unfortunately that means a lot of people are going to expect DTE since they are coming from other cars.
While they are visible in most vehicles I have never known anyone to focus on them unless they are getting close to empty on the fuel gauge.

I have definitely never seen a car that lists the DTE in a manner as prominent as in the I-Pace.

I have also never heard anyone go to the gas station and say they are pumping gas into their car at 30 mph or ‘I filled my car to 270 miles’
post #103 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHock View Post
The other part of range anxiety (at least for me) is that there isn't a 2-minute fill up every few miles. I fortunately don't do a lot of long road driving where the range anxiety for me would be a more real thing.
That is the real anxiety to me, not knowing if you will find a charger!
JHock likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #104 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 03:40 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryzvy View Post
I plugged my car in with a 10% SoC and 7.3 kWh per WattCat, unplugged with 100% SoC and 84 kWh. According to the JuiceBox app it fed in 85.33 kWh for this charging session. So I lost about 8.5 kWh. I have seen this behavior since the H228 update, before which the JuiceBox number always used to track the numbers from WattCat. I wonder if this is an inefficiency with the JuiceBox or with my I-Pace. Anyone has any thoughts?
My guess is the inefficiency is in the i-Pace, since the JuiceBox is basically just a pass through. I can imagine JLR using some of the power to maintain the battery temp or something.
ryzvy likes this.
post #105 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 05:00 PM

Garage
Agreed @CyberSlug . But that's like 10% of the battery capacity; seems excessive. I guess I'll mention it to my service adviser next time I take it in to see if they have any bright ideas.

post #106 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryzvy View Post
Ca. 10% loss is consistent with my experience on a chargepoint charger and previously with a generic cable charger ... IMO nothing to worry about. There's loss in the conversion from AC to DC and some general heat loss as well. I believe the API (WattCat) used to report inaccurate charge states before certain software updates, so that may be why it tracked before the update.
Calidave and ryzvy like this.
post #107 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 06:02 PM

The EVSE has losses, the AC/DC converter has losses, the battery cells themselves have losses, and the battery controller has losses. IIRC, I calculated 8% loss when I charged from 0% to 100%, but who knows how accurate it is? I only did that once, and while the battery said 0%, the car would drive.
Calidave and ryzvy like this.

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.
post #108 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 06:31 PM

Garage
Thanks! @sciencegeek and @McRat That makes me feel better

post #109 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 08:15 PM

Getting a new car!! Yayy!!!!

JLRNA is replacing my faulty car with a brand new 2020 I-Pace HSE.

I want to start off by thanking one of the members on this forum. Without his hep, I would not have gotten this result.

My car has spent over 3 months at the dealership and it is no closer to being repaired. After reaching out to JLRNA, they have finally agreed to replace my faulty car with a brand new 2020 I-Pace.
McRat, alphanstein and epirali like this.
post #110 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Awesome, congrats! I am awaiting the terms for my buyback, should get them any day now.