Brake noise or squeal? - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

Brake noise or squeal?

So my story deepens as we picked up the car again after 2+ more weeks in the shop. This time they verified a few more of the issues and replaced the hood latch (TSB came out same time as I took it to the shop) which seemed to cause some charging and locking issues. They also replaced the control for the rear tail hatch gesture sensor and it now seems to work.

However, when I picked it up the service adviser warned that there is a little noise from the brakes that she heard on her QC test drive. When I drove off it was apparent and kept getting louder. I have done many brake jobs in my life and I would swear it was a contaminated pad or a wear indicator rubbing on the disc. HMMMMM......with only 1200 miles on the car I wonder if the brakes are defective and prematurely worn. Not likely worn, does any one else hear a squeal or unusual noise when applying the brakes at low speed?
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 04:17 PM

Look for a rock stuck against the rotor.

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRat View Post
That I agree has happened to me before after having tires put on my Jeep at Americas Tire. They had put on the wheel and managed to put something in between the rotor and dust shield I had to pull the wheel and remove it. (a nut)

I drove the I-Pace around the circular driveway and made sudden stops in reverse and forward. Each time there seems to be a loud squeak or rubbing noise, I fear it may be suspension related maybe the air strut is gone, need to test the height adjustment to see if it actually is functioning. Normally I would dig into it myself, but this is JLR's issue to fix.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyras View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRat View Post
That I agree has happened to me before after having tires put on my Jeep at Americas Tire. They had put on the wheel and managed to put something in between the rotor and dust shield I had to pull the wheel and remove it. (a nut)

I drove the I-Pace around the circular driveway and made sudden stops in reverse and forward. Each time there seems to be a loud squeak or rubbing noise, I fear it may be suspension related maybe the air strut is gone, need to test the height adjustment to see if it actually is functioning. Normally I would dig into it myself, but this is JLR's issue to fix.
Mine has brake noise after the recall was completed. It almost sounds like it is in the pedal at times.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

Update
I just picked up the car (sort of tried to) today after another 23 days in the shop. Among other updates, they replaced all the rotors and brake pads, and got Car Play working. The pads were definitely pitted and glazed. They took a video of the noise and got Jaguar to authorize replacement.

I met with the general manager who was very sympathetic to our issues and request for repurchase. Jaguar is still refusing, and they could not replicate the Traction Battery Fault I had in April where it had to be towed. Despite 74 days out of service, they would rather go to arbitration than give in.

To everyone's amazement I went to drive the car off the lot and the display presented this error (Traction Battery Fault OK to drive with caution). However no go, no start, we all took videos. Needless to say, I have a loaner again and a motivated dealer doing what they can to get this resolved.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page