6Likes
  • 2 Post By Dantrium
  • 1 Post By sgtpeper
  • 2 Post By epirali
  • 1 Post By CyberSlug

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

Wish List (Are you listening JLR ?)

One of the advantages of being part of a "test fleet" program is the ability to provide input on production vehicles. We began with the Mini-E and then moved to the ActiveE. Many of the issues that the test group commented on were incorporated in the i3. And one that wasn't (which is a current complaint in my iPace) was fixed in software within a month.

Other than the infotainment system, which others have commented on ad infinitum, my current complaints have to do with the charging port. Almost everyone who drove either the Mini-E of ActiveE complained about not being able to see the J1772 receptacle in the dark. This was fixed in the i3 with a LED that lights up around the charge port and illuminates the ports very well. In the iPace the little LED simply blinds someone trying to plug in. Plugging in at night is a 2 handed job - one hand holding the plug and the other a flashlight. This can't be fixed in software - but please consider fixing this in the future.

The issue that was changed on the i3 almost immediately was locking the charge plug when charging. This eliminates the possibility of shared charging. With my other EVs (which don't lock the charge plug) I can do "target of opportunity" charging (plugging in at a free charger when I don't really need a charge) and leave a hang tag on the plug telling another EV driver who shows up that it is OK to unplug me and charge their car. I won't do this with the Jag because I don't want to use the charger at the expense of someone who NEEDS the charge. This can be fixed in software, and I recommend having a software swithc that will allow either state (locking or not locking).

The next issue has to do with the vehicle "timing out" the ability to charge after the vehicle has been turned off for a period of time. I don't like using Apps to set charge start and end times, I want to do it manually. Typically, when someone comes home they open the charge door and head inside. When we want to charge the cars someone goes outside and plugs them in. Can't do this with the Jag because even if the charge door is left open the car won't start charging after a certain time period has passed. This means the person going outside to charge has to unlock the car, plug it in, and lock it again. Not a really big deal, but again something that can be fixed in software.

These are my top issues for today.

What do you want to see in the future?

Tony Stein
2019 IPace
2017 i3
2013 RAV4 EV

Tony

Jaguar I-Pace
BMW i3
Toyota RAV4 EV

No longer: Porsche 914 conversion, Mini E, ActiveE, i3 Electronaut Edition
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 04:39 AM

I wish they would port over the rear view camera display into the rear view mirror from the sister RR Evoque (or other RRs I assume). ClearSight, I think they call it (I've just seen it in television ads).

It's a natural for the I-Pace considering its limited rear glass area, even without visual obstructions in the carry space.

2019 I-Pace 400EV HSE First Edition
Corris Grey - Ebony/Ebony
Delivered 2/22/19
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauderdaleFE View Post
I wish they would port over the rear view camera display into the rear view mirror from the sister RR Evoque (or other RRs I assume). ClearSight, I think they call it (I've just seen it in television ads).

It's a natural for the I-Pace considering its limited rear glass area, even without visual obstructions in the carry space.
I would want them to fix the rear view camera delay before they allow it to take over my mirrior...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 05:29 AM

I would like:

- to be able to close the tailgate and lock the car at the same time. As it is, I need to wait until the tailgate is closed before I then need to lock the car.
- redesign of the tailgate so melted snow/rain water doesn't drip on my head when it is opened.
- electronically adjustable steering column/wheel that automatically moves out of the way when I get in or out of the car
- to be able to simply put the car in park and open the door without it turning off
- self-park assist that actually works
- the mirror puddle lights are cool, but lighted door handles would be more useful.
- retractable cargo cover vs. the giant rigid cargo cover
Sbingham60 and LauderdaleFE like this.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantrium View Post
I would want them to fix the rear view camera delay before they allow it to take over my mirrior...

The I-Pace rear camera has a delay? Why wasn't I informed????

How much of a delay? I'll try to notice it next time myself.

2019 I-Pace 400EV HSE First Edition
Corris Grey - Ebony/Ebony
Delivered 2/22/19
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauderdaleFE View Post
The I-Pace rear camera has a delay? Why wasn't I informed????

How much of a delay? I'll try to notice it next time myself.
That's great if you do not experience the rear camera delay, but it isn't an isolated problem. It is reported by users in Europe and North America. Numerous people have reported the unfortunate crunching of things because the picture on the dash doesn't correspond in real time to the actual events behind the car. For the most part I don't notice it as much because I have adapted my driving based on my expectations of the camera view. But it doesn't change the fact that the rear view camera on this car is among the worst I have experienced.

If you want to test yours, back up rapidly and stop quickly - that will exaggerate the effect. Don't be surprised to see the camera view to continue to move although the car has come to a stop.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 09:35 AM

Yes, I've almost backed into my bushes a bunch of times backing out of the garage. Mine isn't consistent though. Sometimes it works just fine and other times it's realllllly delayed. It makes no sense at all. I really just think the whole infotainment system is just completely underpowered which leads to most of our issues.

So my wish list is a faster processor I guess?
epirali likes this.

Jeff in Denver
'19 Jaguar I-Pace First Edition
'03 Porsche 911 Turbo 6MT X50
'74 Alfa Romeo Spider
'17 Volvo XC90 Inscription - Wife's
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 10:28 AM

I dont know what is running the system but I dont get the sense its underpowered, rather its bloated Windows software and APIs (probably from using safe and runtime interpreted frameworks like .NET), so its latency and bad software design. There is no way the accelerated hardware (I am sure it has a GPU of some sort, probably NVIDIA) has any trouble running 30 FPS video from a camera.
ryzvy and sgtpeper like this.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 11:19 AM

Garage
Some things I'd like to see added in the next year or 2 (so they'll be on the replacement when I get it in 2022).

Things I hope to get from SOTA:
  • Plug & Charge (would really like to see that added to our models via SOTA)
  • Sustained high-power charging to 80% SoC
  • Wireless Carplay (or at least Siri Eyes Free)
  • NAV system access to Bluetooth contact addresses
  • Voice recognition at least to the level of my 2012 Audi A6, but preferably something comparable to current Audi or BMW
  • Adjustable ACC aggressiveness (Audi has this, basically controls how late / hard it brakes or how hard it accelerates to get back to set speed)

From other JLR vehicles:
  • ClearSight Rear View mirror
  • ClearSight Ground View

From VW Auto Group:
General:
  • Tow hitch receiver (useful for easily removable bike racks)
  • 150kw or 350kw charging
  • Massaging seats
  • Power steering wheel adjustment w/ memory and easy exit
  • Verizon support (this may be possible via SOTA, as I think the car uses the Qualcomm 820Am platform)
Sbingham60 likes this.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 02:42 PM

Some things I put in the owner survey they sent to me:
1) adaptive headlights like what I have on my XJL, they light up additional in the direction of the turn signal indicator as well as articulate into the direction of the turn, these work really well at night for seeing around the turn.
2) massage seats
3) power tilt/telescope steering, I like the easy entry/exit function
4) Changing opacity glass roof (like the windows in houses that shades with electric current)
5) More customizable driver dash display, it is pretty limited in tweaking the layout and options of what to place where

And fix on the infotainment system in general.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page